Why do I feel so anxious about weight training in the gym....

Options
2»

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    yanno what . . . everyone i've come across/talked to/lifted alongside in four years since i took up lifting has got something they're not happy with, some challenge they're trying to rise to, some 'failure' or 'weakness' or form fix that they struggle with. everyone. and always.

that's what strength training is. you identify something, you improve it, you get better, you identify something else, you make it a project to improve that . . . . 'continuous improvement' isn't just about lifting more weight. it's about this kind of internal 'invisible' thing. if you have things you want to work on and things that you'd like to improve, your self-consciousness is a shame because you're absolutely in the right place doing the right things in the right company. you're a lifter :p i would say you belong.

• zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I go to a small 24 hour gym and try to workout at non peak times :)
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I felt like this too. I joined a gym a year ago and it just took time to feel comfortable. Now I'm probably too comfortable.
  • hungrywombat
    hungrywombat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Could you try going early morning/late evening or other non-peak times, even just for the first few sessions? It might help you to gain confidence as you get into your routine.
    Also, as others have said, generally people aren't paying attention to what others are doing. If I'm looking at someone else, it's purely to be impressed by how much they can lift, and mentally cheering them on :)
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I totally get this. I've been lifting for six years and I usually lift at 5 am. If my schedule gets thrown off and I have to go at a different time, I feel super awkward and nervous... even squatting or deadlifting 200+ lbs. A new environment always freaks me out. Just have a plan and get your stuff done. No one is paying attention to you. Trust me!
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I asked the owner/trainer at my gym for a personal training session when I started with barbells. Then I told him, "you're here all the time. If you ever see me doing something stupid or dangerous, stop me". He hasn't stopped me yet......
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »
    How can I get over that feeling of what others will think of me.

I wish there were a good answer for this. You just have to do it.

I had the same reaction when I stepped foot into my gym for the first time almost 6 years ago. I was terrified; terrified of people would think about me, the new fat guy, terrified about what they'd think of what I was doing, how my form looked, etc. I had all the same anxiety you did.

The first big thing to understand is: no one cares about you. Honestly, they don't. They're too concerned about their own self. They're all there for their own goals and improvement. If they're judging anyone, they're judging their own self. They're worried about how they are progressing and they are definitely not worried about you.

The second thing to understand is: most folks at the gym are actually really good, cool people.

I've been at my gym for 6 years now and I know a lot of the regulars. I learned to talk to them (briefly; people are there to workout after all, not have conversations) and get to know their names. The gym becomes a comfortable place when you know who people are. All it takes is a brief introduction and swap of names, and pretty soon you're saying "hi" when you see them walk in. The gym can be a really friendly place. Give it some time.

And a final thought for a little encouragement: people are not judging you, but they will pay attention if you become a regular. And that can lead to some really encouraging events. For instance, a few weeks back a lady at my gym bumped into me (figuratively) and mentioned how she couldn't believe how much I'd changed since she noticed me first coming to the gym. She said I looked a lot different and she was impressed by the change (I've lost 20 lbs. since July and acquire some muscle over the past 6 years). It was a really nice thing for a near-total-stranger to say. But that's the kind of people that gym folk are: They're there to work on their own self, and they know you're doing the same, and everyone just wants to see everyone else make their goals.

It's a positive place, a gym. Embrace it.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    No one cares. Lol, most people are worried about what they look like and not what others do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Alegrya
    Alegrya Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I can empathise with you. After paying for months and not going I cancelled my gym membership as feeling guilty about not going was doing my mental health a disservice. With things in my future I should really go back to lifting again as it brings my weight down but finding a understanding PT and using them as accountability is its own hurdle.

Suburban gyms are way less toxic than city gyms in my area but still places I kind of dread going.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I just posted on another thread that no one is looking at you, unless your form is crap :)

But here's the thing - the people who are there and who may notice your form is crap are not going to just comment to themselves that your form is crap and move on, in my experience. No wants to see anyone get hurt in the gym.

When I was first getting going I was doing squats with just the bar. I needed to get my balance right before I started adding any weight. But they felt weird, and wrong, and I couldn't figure out why. I saw a couple of guys watching me out of the corner of my eye, and honestly, that didn't make me feel a lot better. But then one of them came over to me and said that I didn't look comfortable and asked if he could give me some advice. He told me that I needed to widen my stance, and tada! A hundred times better. I love that guy!

You're going to feel weird in there for a wee bit, and that's ok! Before you know it you'll feel right at home.
  • justjara123
    justjara123 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this at the start! Mostly it was because I didn’t want to look dumb. I had my best guy friend come with me and teach proper form. If ever I want to try a new move, I ask to be taught again.

It honestly took a couple weeks of getting used to and sometimes I still feel a little silly carrying these small dumbbells while they’re carrying barbels twice my weight. I just try to let their heavy lifting encourage me to lift heavy, too!

I also got involved in CrossFit and pilates classes, which made going to the gym much easier since I got used to seeing the same people at the same times. I go in the afternoons, when there are less people and the weights area tends to have the same people now, too.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Xkmaf2018X wrote: »
    Thanks all, yeah I did it, been three times now and will be lifting today, first one was scary but after that first squat I know longer worried about anyone else haha! Wahooo to me

Woo hoo! Way to go!