Bariatric surgery newbie

Options
Hi! I’m planning on having bariatric (gastric sleeve) surgery later in the year – assuming I don’t chicken out – and I’m looking for others in the same boat. I figure no matter whether pre or post-op, it would be great to be a part of a supportive group to keep each other motivated. So, who wants to ‘add friend’? :D

Replies

• rjfrem
    rjfrem Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi!!! I had the gastric sleeve on 2/7/18. I'll be your friend :)
  • time2change1111
    time2change1111 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had surgery about 8 months ago, feel free to add me
  • Fat2Fitwvicki
    Fat2Fitwvicki Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I am planning to vsg surgery. Just had my first appointment yesterday 4/27/18very overwhelmed with the fact that my insurance doesn't cover dietitian visit , make it hard on fit income. Welcome to add me
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I know this might not be the right place to ask, but here it goes. I lost over 200lbs naturally. I know if I put it back on, its sleeve surgery for me. Have any of you folks had any major problems post op?
  • time2change1111
    time2change1111 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My surgery was pretty easy and I was ready to go back to work 5 days after surgery. (Office job). No problems at all. Best decision of my life. Congrats on your weight loss.
  • _Pastafarian_
    _Pastafarian_ Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I know this might not be the right place to ask, but here it goes. I lost over 200lbs naturally. I know if I put it back on, its sleeve surgery for me. Have any of you folks had any major problems post op?

I had a sleeve in December 2015 after losing 40kg (80lb?) naturally. I still had another 20kg to go after that but stopped losing weight, started to put it back on in fact. I was in a sad spiral that no matter what I did (I'd lost my weight using MFP but my hunger was constant and hard to control, what I'd been doing previously just didn't work any more) I couldn't change.

I lost my weight over 13-14 months, hitting goal in February 2017. I've been in maintenance ever since, which is far harder than losing weight and less rewarding in a lot of ways but more so in others. I'm now going to have plastic surgery to address the damage to my skin that a lifetime of obesity has caused.

To answer your question - no problems at all. Even those people who had complications that I have spoken to - even the most feared complication of all, an anastomotic leak - have said they'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's life changing surgery, and, like it or not, is the best treatment we have for long term, recidivist morbid obesity.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    You should join the group, the MFP community is not very welcoming or encouraging to people who are having/have had weight loss surgery.

I don't understand this. I have read up on what people with surgery have to do. They have to exercise and follow a fairly rigid diet.
    psychod787 wrote: »

I had a sleeve in December 2015 after losing 40kg (80lb?) naturally. I still had another 20kg to go after that but stopped losing weight, started to put it back on in fact. I was in a sad spiral that no matter what I did (I'd lost my weight using MFP but my hunger was constant and hard to control, what I'd been doing previously just didn't work any more) I couldn't change.

I lost my weight over 13-14 months, hitting goal in February 2017. I've been in maintenance ever since, which is far harder than losing weight and less rewarding in a lot of ways but more so in others. I'm now going to have plastic surgery to address the damage to my skin that a lifetime of obesity has caused.

To answer your question - no problems at all. Even those people who had complications that I have spoken to - even the most feared complication of all, an anastomotic leak - have said they'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's life changing surgery, and, like it or not, is the best treatment we have for long term, recidivist morbid obesity.

Thanks for the reply, I am actually almost a year in maintenance, but have had some medical issues because I got too lean. I am actually going to have to gain weight back. Hoping that helps them and the hunger and satiety issues. Having to regain is one of the reasons I was asking about ya'lls road to where you are now. I am afraid in some ways of letting it get out of control.
  • knighton78
    knighton78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I’m having the gastric bypass surgery in October 2018. I have to loose 60 pounds by my surgery date so it’s game on! I’m down 22 pounds so far and I’m determined to keep losing the weight. I will gladly be your friend. I need the motivation!
  • sisswright
    sisswright Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've used Myfitness pal off and on for years. Some of my attempts have been successful in that i lost 40 lbs, but i somehow tend to lose my way and slip into old habits. Over the past year I lost 40 pounds and gained 20 back.

But i'm back on here following a medically supervised regimen and meeting with the nutritionist 3 times, starting on thursday! I set a goal of 25 pounds to lose before surgery and an overall goal of 60 pounds, and i wont be upset if i lose more :)

for me this decision is about getting my weight under control so that my obesity doesn't cause me health problems or a shortened life span.

I hope we can all support one another.