Decent low cal Beef or Quorn Chilli Recipe?

Options
louisedentonb
louisedentonb Posts: 6 Member
Hey peoples.
Anyone got a decent low cal Beef and/or Quorn Chilli Recipe they would be happy to share?

I don't know how I am making it have so many calories, I am using 10% or 5% Fat Beef BTW.

Thank you in advance

Replies

• eznowjo
    eznowjo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey peoples.
    Anyone got a decent low cal Beef and/or Quorn Chilli Recipe they would be happy to share?

I don't know how I am making it have so many calories, I am using 10% or 5% Fat Beef BTW.

Thank you in advance

Do you use your own spice mix or shop bought..
  • Drdebly
    Drdebly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be that bad, check your calculator, sometimes it counts tomato products wrong. Also, it's lower if you skip the beans. Drain the meat of fat after browning. Carefully measure the serving sizes. Most of the time a pot of chili comes out to about 4 - 2 cup servings for me.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Use half mince half lentils
  • louisedentonb
    Options
    eznowjo wrote: »
    Hey peoples.

Thank you in advance

eznowjo wrote: »
    Hey peoples.

Thank you in advance

• louisedentonb
    Options
    Thanks all.

I am using my own spices & not sauces in jars either. I was amazed at the calories in those tomato based sauces!!!

Thanks again everyone who replied, very helpful. ☺️
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I use a big can of crushed tomato, a 14.5 can of diced tomato, a diced zucchini or 2, a diced yellow squash, a small can of mild green diced chilies (sometimes a can of rotel). 1/2 tsp mixed chili powder (Penzey's 3000), 1/4 tsp chipotle powder - spices and chiles to taste, 1 can of black or other beans, 2 cups of water. I used ground chicken breast. Last time I had half chicken breast and half chicken sausage and that was a little higher calorie. About 1 lb meat total I got 3 quarts of chili and it was about 120 calories per 8 oz of chili. Cook the chili until veggies are soft because I leave skins on. You can throw whatever veggies you have in it -- carrots, spinach, corn. Use the recipe calculator to figure out the cals per serving if you measure what you throw in. You can use beef in this, but use the calculator to figure the cals per serving.
    One more idea, I usually add a cup of riced cauliflower to my chili when I heat it up (cook the cauliflower first so the consisitancy is the same) and it makes a very hearty dish.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hey peoples.

Thank you in advance

You can try padding it out with more tomatoes than you might be using now. Meat (even lower fat content) and beans are fairly calorie dense, so the serving size for chili isn't usually going to be massive (as in a cup worth rather than a bowl).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What's a lot of calories? I use 3 different kinds of beans, lean ground beef, and a large can of crushed tomatoes and water along with the spices. A pretty good serving comes out to about 466 calories which I think is a pretty low calorie meal.