Why 1200 calories isn’t for me

Options
SisterSueGetsFit
SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
The 1200 calorie diet seems good in theory. For some reason several women seem to think this is the magic number. Let me tell you it’s not.

With that being said, I lost almost 60 pounds in 9 months following it. BUT... in the long term it just wasn’t sustainable. I Gained back almost 20 of those 60 pounds once I started eating normally again. While I lost the weight, it wasn’t healthy and it wasn’t safe. I don’t look good naked because I lost too fast and have no firmness. I’m skinny fat, so to speak. I didn’t learn how to “really eat” I only learned how to eat very little and get by. It was stupid and I was stupid.

1200 calories doesn’t allow me to live my life. It doesn’t allow for that extra drink or dessert. It causes me anxiety.

I’m back at it after maintaining at a 45 pound weight loss for a year. Doing it better this time. My goal is 1400 to 1500 cal a day and I’m so much happier. I want to comment so badly on every thread about 1200 calorie diets, but I simply don’t have the energy and people need to learn for themselves.

So, what’s your reason for not following a 1200 cal a day diet?

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    I wanted to make it easy on myself. I was 254lbs when I started and, at 5'3", with at least 114lbs to lose, I could have safely gone with a 2lb/week target, but I opted for 1lb/week instead. MFP gave me 1720, I stuck to that, and I lost.

Now, I'm closing in on a healthy BMI with just over 9lbs to go (just over 19 to theoretical goal, though it's possible I'll decide to maintain before that) and shouldn't be losing more than 1/2lb/week. That puts me at 1400 before exercise. With exercise, I have more to play with. Today, that's 1680. And it's just... easier that way. I'm not constantly hungry. I have room for snacks. I don't stress as much as I used to over what I'm eating.

You are so inspiring! Congratulations on your hard work and dedication. I wish you nothing but continued success.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    Megg82 wrote: »
    Eh. Unfortunately for my height and weight, 1200 is needed to lose ounces if anything at all per week. 1200-1300 is my BMR and because I’m petite, I don’t burn as much for calorie expenditure. It’s pretty much maintenance for me.
    I’m healthy weight but have higher body fat percentage than I’d like. Gaining muscle will hopefully increase BMR and create the toned look I want. I do IF which makes it easier. I don’t really get hungry and I get to eat a decent size meal or two in my 4 hour eating window.
    I’ve been heavier and had to eat 1200 and exercise to lose and it was painful as I got smaller and the scale wouldn’t budge because I was at maintenance :( IF has really helped and I don’t feel deprived at all. Sometimes I have to figure out how I’m going to get all 1200 calories in & stay within my macros; I like to stay low carb & high protein. The struggle is real with that 1200 number tho. If I wasn’t doing IF I honestly know I’d be miserable spacing tiny meals all throughout the day, never eating until full.

We are each different. I’ve thought about IF, but I know I couldn’t stick to it on the weekends, mostly due to evening eating. I hope you find what works best for you!
  • eleonora1809
    eleonora1809 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I’m currently on 1200 cal and this is what I feared. What if I eat normal again and gain all the weight I loses back? I’m worried about eating over my calorie deficit but at the same time, I don’t want this to be another yo-yo diet.

I’ve read somewhere it’s better to eat 3 balanced meals with no snack and aim for 1500 cal instead but I don’t know and now I just eat between 1200-1500.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Options
    I’m currently on 1200 cal and this is what I feared. What if I eat normal again and gain all the weight I loses back? I’m worried about eating over my calorie deficit but at the same time, I don’t want this to be another yo-yo diet.

I’ve read somewhere it’s better to eat 3 balanced meals with no snack and aim for 1500 cal instead but I don’t know and now I just eat between 1200-1500.

I didn’t mean to scare you! This is just my story. The only thing I would say is I think losing slower is better. What do you have your goals set at? Put your stats in MFP for a pound loss a week. Well I was happy to lose the weight someone quickly, I wish I would’ve done it in a better manner.

And for the record, you’re not going to gain the weight back once you start eating more than 1200 calories. It’s important to find out where you maintain and stay in that range. It’s all trial and error and everybody is different.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    1200 gross was hard on my energy levels and made my hair thin, but 1200 net worked pretty well for me. I lost most of my weight eating no fewer than 1600 gross and exercising at least 400 cal / day to maintain enough of a deficit to lose 2 lbs / week. When I was thinner I swapped to 1 lb and now .5 lbs for the last bit of vanity weight.

When I started I was under medical instructions to lose weight quickly.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Some of the comments seem to indicate that people do randomly choose a calorie goal, as @Lounmoun mentioned. For those who have indicated this, is there a particular reason you choose not to use the calorie goal MFP gives you?
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Small woman with a low TDEE, here! On the days I work out, I generally have around 2.000 calories to eat. On days when I don't, that number is around 1.300. Kind of depressing, but I can totally see someone who doesn't want to or can't exercise having to eat 1,200 calories or less to lose weight. My low TDEE is one of the reasons I work out, lol.