I am never hungry...so I don't eat and have GAINED weight

Options
I recently discovered that even though I am well over 200lbs., I am actually considered malnourished. I have zero interest in eating so anything that I do eat is stored as fat. I know I have to do things differently in order to get a different result but with all of the joint problems (ankle, knees, and wrists) as well as asthma, getting up the energy to do anything is difficult to find. To make matters worse, I have developed Pica (eating things you shouldn't) as a result of this nutritional imbalance (basically, I crave and eat cornstarch). It is now almost 10pm and my caloric count started at 1200 for the day and I am still short 207 calories...ugh!!! Any magic pills on how to care about food again???

Replies

• lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I don't know about magic pills, but it would probably be a good time to see your doctor.
  • mikeyken
    mikeyken Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    There are appetite stimulants out there that doc can prescribe for you. So kinda magic pills. I would definately talk to doc about the pica. Also don't want to get too personal, but if you have preoblems with depression or anxiety this can make issues with appetite much worse.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'd personally go and see a psychologist who is trained to deal with Pica.. that is a scary disorder and you can get in big trouble if your not careful!
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Eat healthy, calorie dense foods. Nut butter, avocados, etc.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that you are going through this
    My best advice would be to schedule small meals or snacks at regular intervals during the day. Don't wait or expect to get hungry, at least not for awhile.
    Maybe Food could be the "Magic Bullet" you are looking for?
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i hear walnuts stimulate appetite.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I don't know about magic pills, but it would probably be a good time to see your doctor.

Best advice! Please, go see a doctor before it gets too bad. Sounds to me like something might be wrong either mentally or physically and you need a professional to help.
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think in order to "care" about food again, you need to care about your health. The saying "you are what you eat" is true. You only have one body and one very short life, so why wouldn't you take care of it by giving it the fuel and nutrients it needs? When you care about yourself enough to start making changes, you will. Small steps are best. Start by finding some healthy recipes online or buying fresh fruits at the grocery. Next, empty your cabinets of unhealthy, processed foods. This way, when you do have an appetite, you can grab something nutritious. Also, next time you are watching TV, stand up during the commercials and just start marching. Do this during every commercial. You'd be surprised how many calories you burn just doing this. Again, baby steps, and gradually build yourself to a healthier lifestyle...not just for weight or looks, but for your health.
  • AdeFit
    AdeFit Posts: 1
    Options
    i have that challenge also, when I start my morning it is usually with fruit or a smoothie. I have such a full day that I snack a lot (nuts etc) My smoothie is 24+ oz cause I have early start which make me not hungry. The problem however is not eating causes your body to hold on to fat because it thinks you are starving it. Eating 6 small meals keeps your body's metabolism buring in a healthy way. So even if not hungry have baggies of nuts/ fruit/protein bar - luna or cliff bars with you, that will help alot. Next week try this 3 healthy meals 3 snacks, here's an idea of what 1 day might look like:

Breakfast - cereal whole bran

snack -fruit

lunch - med salad with grilled chicken

snack - low fat yogurt add your own fruit or granola

Dinner - honey lime glazed salmon (make your own glaze w/ 2 oz honey & 1 lime squeezed)
    Steamed veggie

Snack - Apple w/ almond butter

dinner -
  • healthyfat
    healthyfat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think its time to smoke a little pot. Chemo patients are using it for appetite, should work for you too. Your body needs something when it starts craving such oddball things. Be thankful its only corn starch, get past it and start eating.......Healthy!
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There is nothing surprising of you being malnourished if you do not eat. Your metabolism has shut down and is on survival mode, you need to get off the couch and start moving around, I was almost 200 when I started excercizing at the begining of June, I thought my ankles were going to shatter and my knees were in constant pain. i have lost over 25 lbs and the pain in the ankles and knees are gone. It was not easy at the begining and it is still not that easy but I am seeing and feeling the progress. You do need to see a Dr for your disorder and find out what triggered that problem, it will not go away by itself as it is a true illness. Being on a diet is not a good thing if you are not healthy both physically and mentally. Taking part in any activity really boost the moral, it does not have to be strenuous but you need to move and not dwell on the negative which is basically an excuse for doing nothing. Are you really ready to get better, be honest with yourself, the only one you are cheating is yourself. You will find all the moral support here on MFP but you need professional help to get you started on the right track. Take the bull by the horn, you are ahead of the game by admitting to your illness, now stand up for yourself and do something about it. Best of luck, you can add me to your friend's list if you need extra support.
  • SusanRN2b
    SusanRN2b Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think its time to smoke a little pot. Chemo patients are using it for appetite, should work for you too. Your body needs something when it starts craving such oddball things. Be thankful its only corn starch, get past it and start eating.......Healthy!

Really? That's brilliant! How responsible and helpful of you, lol!
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've stopped wanting to eat. Even when the tummy tigers are rumbling I just don't want to. I think it's a mental thing for me. I've probably taken this food control thing to an unhealthy extreme. BUT, I do it anyways. I've spent many nights stuffing protein bars down my throat just to hit my minimum calories. It's not a good answer but it is the band aid fix I'm using until I get a better solution

I can't help be agree with the pot smoking, if that's an option for you. It's not for me but if it was I'd probably do it.
  • tcannon93
    Options
    There are appetite stimulants out there that doc can prescribe for you. So kinda magic pills. I would definately talk to doc about the pica. Also don't want to get too personal, but if you have preoblems with depression or anxiety this can make issues with appetite much worse.

You are correct...actually, it was my psychologist who discovered my pica and recommended I go see my doctor for a complete exam and nutritional workup.

Thanks for your response...I guess my joining MFP (thanks to my cousin) was one of the first steps to getting my health back.
  • tcannon93
    Options
    It was actually my psychologist who told me what was wrong and advised me to go see my doctor for a complete nutritional work up. Thanks for the advice :-)
  • tcannon93
    Options
    That is very kind...I need all the encouragement I can get after existing like this for more than 5 years.
  • HealthyAlp
    Options
    Have almost the same problem. I found that eating smaller healthy meals more often makes me hungrier during the times of the day that I really should be eating. Eventually your body gets used to having food and will ask for it.

Had a period in my life where I was barely eating anything at all and was gaining like crazy! One day I decided to eat what I wanted for a week and lost five pounds over 1.5 weeks. =)
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    According to research online, corn starch is really bad for you. This was a reoccuring theme:

"You can become diabetic because the starches actually turns into sugar. It also weakens your teeth and contributes to weight gain."

I would suggest you see a doctor and target that before trying to lose any weight.