I know what to do, but can't seem to actually do it

For the past year I've has a lot of ups and downs nutrition and fitness-wise. I'm finally at a point where twice a week I do strength training with a trainer, and three days a week I do just cardio, 30 mins to 1 hour each day. However I can't seem to get the nutrition aspect right. I'm not really losing any weight any more, and I know it's because of my diet.

It feels like I know what I need to do (my trainer even gave me good macro numbers to shoot for, etc), but I can't seem to get myself to do them or stick to them. I don't even log on MFP consistently enough.

Anyone been here? What did you do? I'm getting really frustrated with myself, and end up giving up, eating three desserts in a day, and then saying "I'll start over <insert random day in the future>. Help?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    If thing to do is your food diary, I agree that’s the right thing. But if you don’t seem to know how to get it going and keep it going try this.

1 piece of paper, line down the middle. 1st column, all the reasons you want to keep your diary, 2nd column, the reasons you don’t.

Spend some time on it. Sometimes it takes awhile to get at the don’ts. But you’ve got your reasons, otherwise you’d be doing it.

When you have your 2 lists take a good hard look at the don’ts. What accommodations or deals can you make with yourself to make things easier for the part of you that’s resisting? Don’t take the attitude that your own resistance should just be run over and left in the ditch. It won’t go away.

An aside- I tracked for years with pen and paper. I did loads of research on the computer, but I found keeping the records on the computer a bit of a pain. Also, you don’t need to count macros to keep a diary. Macros seems to be an entire lifestyle. Maybe too much right now.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    So basically you gave in to your urges and went over your calorie budget, the solution is, don't go over it and I'm not trying to be a captain obvious but you asked how people do it, this is how I do it, two weeks later after not giving in and I stepped on the scale, I see results. It's worth it and more satisfying than going over your calorie budget.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    So basically you gave in to your urges and went over your calorie budget, the solution is, don't go over it and I'm not trying to be a captain obvious but you asked how people do it, this is how I do it, two weeks later after not giving in and I stepped on the scale, I see results. It's worth it and more satisfying than going over your calorie budget.

Alternatively I try and learn from a day of over-eating and realize those urges can be better controlled if I plan better and stay ahead of them. I can't speak for everyone but in the past when I have gone off script it was a natural and honest reaction to bad diet judgement. Relying on "willpower" sucks. Relying on keeping it simple and me happy is much easier.

To the OP: Forget the macros your trainer gave you. Only through trial and error can you determine what you need to get through the day under your calories with your appetite and cravings in check. If you need strategies on how to eat dessert more often ask for them here. I have seen plenty of posts from successful people who eat desserts on a regular basis if not daily. That is not something I have experience with as I only really want dessert a few times a year. That is not a judgement. Trust me, I gained plenty of weight to get where I was at my heaviest by eating everything but dessert.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited April 2018
    Weight loss is about eating at calorie deficit - the macros aren't even that important, I only track the protein myself. Eat at deficit and you will lose. So if you aren't already tracking your food intake, its time to start.
  • Dragonfly771
    Dragonfly771 Posts: 5 Member
    Have you tried pre-logging. You have to commit to only eating what you logged in but having your food choices already made can be helpful in getting on track.
  • NovusDies
    88olds wrote: »
    Another touchy feely psych trick. Say this- “I won’t do it.” Can’t isn’t accurate. On some level you just won’t. Why not?

BTW I’m firmly in the weight loss happens in our heads camp.

What you call psych trick I call being smart and taking the path of least resistance. I don't have to worry about "won't" or "can't" because I actively avoid putting myself in the situation where the question needs to be asked.

If running your diet like a drill instructor works for you, great!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    <YES, you need to be in a calorie deficit>
    now,
    You've gotten great advice here. Now you need to figure out what works with YOU.
    Does a diet with pre-prescribed macros work with you?
    Does just calorie counting work with you?
    Does considering some foods off limits, or non-existent work with you?
    Does exercising work with you?
    Does calorie tracking work with you?
    Does the drill sergeant approach work with you?
    What works with you, your general personality etc.?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    @NovusDies Drill instructor is exactly what I try to avoid. I don’t think it works for most people, or it doesn’t work for long. I lost weight because I made deals and compromises with myself. I was never able to just beat myself into submission. I don’t know who can.

But folks say stuff like “ I can’t stick to my plan.”
    Generally because the plan is an austerity diet that just doesn’t appeal to them. Really somewhere inside is a voice saying “I won’t.” Try to cut a deal.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited April 2018
  • OHammykins
    OHammykins Posts: 98 Member
    I started off by making one change to my diet at a time, for example breakfast. I spent a few weeks making sure I was eating a breakfast that I liked and tasted good but that was also good for me. I only logged the breakfast at first and then once I was comfortable with that I changed a different part of my diet and added that to my logging.
    I built this up over time so it didn't feel like an all or nothing effort. This meant that if I had a day where I over ate or ate something that I hadn't planned on, I didn't throw in the towel and give up completely.

Small changes now = big success later!! You just need to go at a pace that's sustainable for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    It's called "lack of commitment". Committed people will do what it takes if it's something they really want. You have to fix that yourself and the easiest way is just to be CONSISTENT with a routine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• NovusDies
    88olds wrote: »
    @NovusDies Drill instructor is exactly what I try to avoid. I don’t think it works for most people, or it doesn’t work for long. I lost weight because I made deals and compromises with myself. I was never able to just beat myself into submission. I don’t know who can.

But folks say stuff like “ I can’t stick to my plan.”
    Generally because the plan is an austerity diet that just doesn’t appeal to them. Really somewhere inside is a voice saying “I won’t.” Try to cut a deal.

Cutting a deal and making compromises was exactly my point in the post you called a "touchy feely psych trick." If you are resisting your current plan, learn from it and change it. Keep it simple and keep yourself happy means not restricting yourself unnecessarily.