Gluten Free with Hypothyroidism

Options
Has anyone gone gluten free with hypothyroidism? If this is something you have tried has it helped? Or was it a waste of time? I am not looking at this as a weight loss thing but an all over better for your health thing.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i have never heard of the 2 things being linked?
  • nhmom80
    nhmom80 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you do a quick google search a lot will come up. Of course it is different for everyone so I just wanted to see what other have experienced.
    i have never heard of the 2 things being linked?

• Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    None of the articles that came up are by reputable sources.
    Just because you have hypothyroidism doesn't mean you have celiac disease/gluten sensitivity. If you're concerned about gluten, try not eating it and see if you feel better, and/or get tested for celiac disease.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It is more specifically Hashimoto's thyroiditis being linked with gluten intolerance, not necessarily general hypothyroidism.

That being said, I having a lot of issues and my endo tested me for Celiac using the blood test only method and it was negative but she told me to try to do an elimination diet anyway to see if my issues cleared up. I tried it for a little while and some of my issues seemed to get better but it wasn't enough of a positive for me to continue to do it for the rest of all time. Also, I think it would have been interesting to have a before and after antibodies test but we didn't do that.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    If you want to try it, go right ahead. Leaves more gluten for me (I have hypothyroidism and eat quite a bit of wheat and have never noticed a problem.)
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The only reason that hypothyroidism (specifically Hashimoto's) and gluten are linked is because Celiac Disease and Hashimoto's are both auto-immune disorders. But not necessarily for the same reason (i.e., gluten does not trigger Hashimoto's but does trigger Celiac).
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    It doesn't hurt to go gluten free, but my advice would be to replace the gluten with more whole foods - vegetables, fruits, beans, rice, etc - and less of the "gluten free" substitutes. Unless they're from a decent bakery/restaurant, they don't taste good at all, and are sometimes less nutritious than their gluten counterparts.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There is a strong link between hashimotos and celiac disease. If you have one problem, you are much more likely to have the other problem than the healthy population. For example, when I discovered that I had celiac disease, I had my doctor test me for hypothyroidism too. I had it too.

I know of a few people who found that going GF helped slow their autoimmune attack on their thyroid. Their TPO antibodies dropped once they were GF even though they did not test positive as a celiac. Going grain free helped them feel better overall.

My TPO antibodies were not affected by going GF, but they were about normal when my hypothyroidism was diagnosed. I did not notice any real improvement just from going GF, but I started thyroid mess at the same time that I went GF so I can't tell much there.

If you do suspect gluten sensitivity, get tested for celiac before going GF. You must be sick in order to be diagnosed.

Good luck.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I don't know that there's a strong link between hashi's and celiac so much as it's that a whacked out immune system tends to cause a lot of problems and that a person with one autoimmune disease is more likely to be prone to another.

A lot of autoimmune issues are genetic, and whether or not the gene is expressed can be affected by many factors. Your system being stressed by one disease can switch on the expression of another disease.

Saying all that, if you JUST have Hashimoto's, going gluten free in an attempt to do something to help it is questionable, imo. Hashi's is an erratic disease, it doesn't have a linear path. Any claims made about the affects of eliminating gluten and its effect on the disease's progression are likely correlative and not causative due to the fluctuating nature of Hashimoto's progression.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i don't know if I would say a strong link between hypothyroidism and celiac disease (personally when I think strong link, i'm thinking 20-30% of diagnosis, not less than 10%) - it seems to not have been fully explored - I found this study that referenced a linkage:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2111403/

this table from that study looked at a variety of populations:

Prevalence of celiac disease (CD) in autoimmune thyroid disorders.

Author (year of publication) Population screened Prevalence of CD

Collin et al (1994) 83 autoimmune thyroid disease 4.8%
    Sategna-Guidetti et al (1998) 152 autoimmune thyroid disease 3.3%
    Cuoco et al (1999) 22 Hashimoto’s disease/23 Graves’ disease 4.3%
    Valentino et al (1999) 150 autoimmune thyroid disease 3.3%
    Berti et al (2000) 172 autoimmune thyroid disease 3.5%
    Volta et al (2001) 220 autoimmune thyroid disease 3.2%
    Larizza et al (2001) 90 Pediatric autoimmune thyroid disease 7.8%
    Meloni et al (2001) 297 autoimmune thyroid disease 4.4%
    Mainardi et al (2002) 100 autoimmune thyroid disease 2%
    Ch’ng et al (2005) 115 Graves’ disease 4.5%
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    this study hypothesized a potential link between gluten-free treatment and hypothyroidism - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28030626

The prevalence of thyroid disease is likely increased among individuals with celiac disease (CD). In addition, exposure to gluten-free treatment may be associated with a risk of thyroid disease, but this association remains controversial.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have Hashimotos and did a bit of research with gluten after I felt like I was getting a stomach ache after too much gluten and it turns out you are right there is a connection, but it's with inflammation and overall automimmune disorders, so here is an article. I believe I have a gluten sensitivity that can interfere with my automimmune (Hashimotos) disorder causing inflammation and stress on my body, so I stopped 2 years ago and feel good; i.e. my tummy doesn't hurt and my system is easier to regulate, less feeling bloated and sick. Please friend me if you would like, also here is an article on inflammation:
    https://www.amymyersmd.com/2018/04/3-reasons-give-up-gluten-autoimmune-disease/

Thanks pal!!
    Jeannemarie
  • mobarger
    mobarger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yes. I have Hashi's. Cut out gluten almost 3 years ago now. I dropped 25 pounds in about 3 months and felt so much better! I started to get my energy back finally. I've tried reintroducing gluten back to my diet a couple times since then and really see the difference (and it's bad).
    I say give it a shot! It's all a chemistry experiment anyway. Find out what works for you. Give it a month and re-evaluate.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroid (not hashimoto) long before my celiac diagnosis. I really haven't noticed any difference before and after.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    nhmom80 wrote: »
    Has anyone gone gluten free with hypothyroidism? If this is something you have tried has it helped? Or was it a waste of time? I am not looking at this as a weight loss thing but an all over better for your health thing.

I have reduced the amount of gluten in my diet. Can't commit to gluten free. It has helped a lot. I asked my endocrinologist about it and she said there are some newer studies that point to gluten free being beneficial but, it's all pretty new. She told me to keep at it because my numbers have never been better. I wouldn't be confident enough to say that doing this is definitely why I am doing better, but it's worth a shot!
  • stevephi01
    stevephi01 Posts: 240 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    nhmom80 wrote: »
    .... an all over better for your health thing.

If you aren't feeling really bad, I wouldn't cut gluten - but that's just me. I've not tried cutting gluten completely, got close to it when I felt really bad the past couple of months. I'm back eating it again and feeling OK.
    I've read quite a bit on gluten feeding the antibodies, but decided unless I knew I had the condition for that to happen I'd walk away. Glad I did as that led me to find the more plausible reasons why I was feeling so rotten.

Just as the advice given for those wishing to lose weight, my advice would be to investigate that you are eating balanced meals - checking the fat/carb/protein, yes, but also take a detailed look at the vitamins and minerals. We tend to be more susceptible when these are a bit low. I had glossed over the last bit, as it turned out to my detriment. It may be of help to you and give a bit of oomph to your day.
    This is purely my own experience and possibly bad advice for anyone else.

If you are concerned, possibly best to see a Dr or endo, if you can, about it - best know the daemon you are fighting.

Some good info @Fuzzypeg