Question about free weights

Options
So lately I've been keeping a couple of free weights on my dresser and every so often when I'm up and around the house I'll lift them and do like ten reps. Does this still help even though I'm only doing small amounts (hours apart)....or does the weight lifting only "count" if you do the reps in continuous sets? Thoughts?

Replies

• jsteinberger423
    jsteinberger423 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think every little bit helps. I wouldn't suggest you to stop this habit. On the flip side, I don't think this level or amount of strength training will make noticable improvements. I would compare it to parking further away at the grocery store or taking the stairs...every little helps and eventually they all add up.

Great job on incorporating healthy into your everyday activities!
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but I don't think you're burning many calories by doing small amounts like that, but you are definetely working toward defining your muscles. I say this only because so many workout DVDs combine biceps, triceps and shoulders with some lower body work outs in order to increase calories burned because doing the small ones alone don't burn too many.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    from a calorie burn stand point, not much.

From the perspective of strengthening, anything helps. It will help with maintaining the particular muscles your working.

For serious benefit, really it would be two to three sessions of strength conditioning a week with each session taking 20 to 40 minutes depending on the pace you set for yourself and intensity.
  • GoddessAndraste
    Options
    You might give some thought to getting wrist and ankle weights and wearing them while you're working around the house. I do that when I'm cleaning, especially if I know I don't have time to work out that day.