Low carb diet making exercise REALLY difficult

Options
I'm in the induction phase of South Beach. I've been working out hard before this, and have improved my strength and stamina...but now that I'm on induction phase (about five days in), I did my regular kickboxing workout and was absolutely annihilated. Like burning all over, and couldn't catch my breath, and got tired WAY faster than I normally do. Has this happened to anyone else? I understand that its probably normal because the body prefers to use carbs for energy and its harder to burn fat, but does the body adapt? Does it get any better the longer you go low carb?

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm in the induction phase of South Beach. I've been working out hard before this, and have improved my strength and stamina...but now that I'm on induction phase (about five days in), I did my regular kickboxing workout and was absolutely annihilated. Like burning all over, and couldn't catch my breath, and got tired WAY faster than I normally do. Has this happened to anyone else? I understand that its probably normal because the body prefers to use carbs for energy and its harder to burn fat, but does the body adapt? Does it get any better the longer you go low carb?

The induction period is difficult. Just stick with it, it gets better.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    yes...it gets better...I actually find it easier to run with around 100 carbs for the day vs 200+
    also...if you add in lifting...it is easier to lift when eating 75+ grams of protein per day (at least it is for me)
  • glp724
    glp724 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've worked out on low carb in past years and have noticed that the first week or so I do have diminished energy but I usually rebound in week two.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Just get more good carbs... I changed my goals to 45% protein, 25% carbs, 30% fat --- my normal daily carbs are about 100g and I rarely hit that...even when I eat carbs specifically. You'll get used to it...
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    Yes, that does happen. I was told the first 2 weeks of low carb dieting you shouldn't exercise. But, I don't know how reliable my source was. It really does get better, just stick with it. When you get to phase 2 things will get a lot better.