Sugar Intake on Keto

Hi Guys,

So I think I know te answer to this question, but is 10g of sugar intake per day on keto okay? I ask because I eat honey turkey and swiss cheese roll up as a lazy lunch/dinner. I’ve read that honey is a big no-no on keto but if I am under 20g of net carbs, I should be okay right?

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    There are two trains of thought with keto - the first being sugar/honey is okay within net carbs and the other is that sugar/honey is the devil. If your carbs are low enough to keep you in keto, that's the main thing.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Go with IIFYM. If it fits your macros, eat it. If not, don't.

I've had honey flavoured meats while keto. If a bunch of sugar is added I tend to buy a different brand because I'd rather my carbs not come from added sugar, but I also have some insulin resistance so I may have different needs than you.

If it fits your diet, go for it. There are no real rules when it comes to keto except to keep carbs low enough to be in ketosis.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    If you adhere strictly to all of keto’s often/sometimes/never food rules, you’ll definitely be in ketosis. But you can also get and stay there without being so strict, by watching net carbs as a proportion of your total calories and worrying less about where they come from.

I prefer that strategy, personally; it’s much more flexible. If you peek at my diary, every day I log is a keto day—I test. I eat small amounts of fruits and honey and *gasp* sugar, and as long as I keep them wrapped up in enough non-carb calories, my body stays in ketosis. It doesn’t matter what you eat; it just matters how much.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    edited May 2018
    I’ve had honey deli meats when there weren’t other options and still was able to stay close to my macros. Honey smoked turkey isn’t like eating candy corns. That being said, the foods I buy at home don’t have honey...itI go for roasted instead.