Tips Wanted: Counting Cals. in the Gym

Options
So when I first started my weight loss program, I didn't typically count my strength training session calories, they were just bonus on top of any cardio/activity I chose to do that day. Well, now that I am closing down on my goal and eating more towards maintaining (still around a 200-250 deficit), I have extra energy and motivation to hit the weights even more. Unfortunately, we all know its practically impossible to track what we burn lifting. I'm just looking for some tips/methods ya'll use when balancing out your books at the end of the day. I personally have been giving myself 2-2.5 calories burned per minute spent during the gym (example if my workout takes me 45min to complete, I give myself 90 extra calories), it has worked, but I also feel I might just be short changing myself which could speed up my loss when i'm actually trying to slow it down.

I'm the typical lifter in the gym, hit my set of 8-10 reps, rest for 30-60 seconds and hit it again. Sometimes I'll get the pump going and cycle focus areas with very short rests.

I do have a Polar H10 heart rate monitor, but most monitors are intended for steady state activities so I don't normally use it unless I'm doing a HIIT/cardio session.

Again, just looking for tips.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    just log it under 'strength training' in the cardio database?
  • keeler521
    keeler521 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

That is the way I log it, but do we trust that number that is presented to us? What kind of lifter does that number represent? I'm just asking how others maybe track a personal/custom way.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    keeler521 wrote: »

That is the way I log it, but do we trust that number that is presented to us? What kind of lifter does that number represent? I'm just asking how others maybe track a personal/custom way.

its just an estimate, like every other way we have of measuring calories burnt... use it, see what the scale does, tweak as necessary based on your real world data.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP - we don't really trust any number here.

Oh, except weights for food/portions, and power meters for bike workouts. Those are ok. All others are worthless.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You have been using a 'method' already, just adjust your method.

You have your calorie intake, scale weight (your current method for handling exercise) and your trends for 4 weeks To slow it down alter your intake by increasing calories or reducing the amount of calories from exercise you are giving yourself. As you adjust, trend it for 4+ weeks and so on till you have reduced to your deficit to 0 and maintaining your desired weight.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Welcome to MFP - we don't really trust any number here.

Oh, except weights for food/portions, and power meters for bike workouts. Those are ok. All others are worthless.

:laugh: