Shedding 90 lbs in ONE year...anyone successful?

Options
2»

Replies

• Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Its possible. I went from 320 to 214 in around 8 months. But I went from eating whatever, whenever, and not being active (aside from work, which had me standing/walking/squatting all day) to carefully tracking what I ate and taking up hiking up a Multnomah Falls. Also gave up dairy, bread, and most carbs for a while. The change was so drastic that I was literally losing 10 lbs a week when I first started.

Currently, though, I do have dairy (mostly greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and cheese) but I still avoid bread and refined sugar.
  • dmcnur
    dmcnur Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how you approach it, but yes it is possible. I have lost a little over 58 pounds in 6 months. My doctor put me on LCHF. Not saying this is what you should do, just how I have lost weight. I have weighed and logged everything I eat and drink and once I recovered from an Achilles heel injury have been walking 3-4 times a week. I have about 14 pounds until my goal weight but am hopeful to be there before my birthday in September.
  • chwcaroline93
    chwcaroline93 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow! All these success stories are so inspiring for me, thanks for sharing everyone <3

I’m a newbie here tracking everything and it’s definitely making me more self conscious about my food choices however it’s so difficult for me to remain within my caloric limit of 1750! I love food too much :( I go to the gym 6 days a week doing both cardio and strength training and I sweat a lot so I definitely give it my all...I also sweat in the sauna for a good 30-40 mins as well. My biggest challenge isn’t working out but it’s eating and curbing cravings >.< so far I’ve managed to lose a pound during my first week of working out and tracking my food so some progress I guess?

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Wow! All these success stories are so inspiring for me, thanks for sharing everyone <3

I’m a newbie here tracking everything and it’s definitely making me more self conscious about my food choices however it’s so difficult for me to remain within my caloric limit of 1750! I love food too much :( I go to the gym 6 days a week doing both cardio and strength training and I sweat a lot so I definitely give it my all...I also sweat in the sauna for a good 30-40 mins as well. My biggest challenge isn’t working out but it’s eating and curbing cravings >.< so far I’ve managed to lose a pound during my first week of working out and tracking my food so some progress I guess?

You'll learn through trial and error what keeps you full or curbs cravings. For me, it wasn't until I upped my protein significantly that I felt super full and didn't feel hungry much. But I still feel hungry sometimes. Also, sweat doesn't exactly equal fat loss. It's being in a calorie deficit that does the trick.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I recently hit my goal.... down to 175 from 262 since the end of October. Yes, it's possible.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

You can love food but your love of wanting to get rid of excess on your body must be greater!
    Just keep the foods you love that will fit within your calorie accounts.
    Now I just want to know why you do a sauna for 30 to 40 minutes? You do know you can't sweat away fat. Just curious....not judging :)
  • chwcaroline93
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »

You can love food but your love of wanting to get rid of excess on your body must be greater!
    Just keep the foods you love that will fit within your calorie accounts.
    Now I just want to know why you do a sauna for 30 to 40 minutes? You do know you can't sweat away fat. Just curious....not judging :)

I love the sauna and I guess I’m trying to get rid of all the water weight? I won’t lie but it’s hard for me to stay within my daily sodium limits >.< I’m lowering it drastically from before I started tracking but tracking is definitely making me more aware of how much salt I eat on a daily basis... therefore I think I’m retaining water more and the sauna would help me get rid of the extra water weight. Am I doing this wrong...? :O
  • chwcaroline93
    Options
    hey there!! your trainer is correct it can be done ... you just have to stop wondering if you really could have the body you want and act like you already have it .... drink half your body weight in ounces of water every day.. pee offten .. stretch.. rest and sleep.. take the stairs ... squat...zk00vco5cvtl.jpg
    1l96x1me1711.jpg

Oh my gosh you look amazing ❤️
  • kchuch77
    kchuch77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    toseeme wrote: »
    I think it's possible! I lost 74lbs in 8 and a half months. I didn't have more to lose, but I imagine that if I did and I had kept up that pace it would happen. Good luck!

This is my current goal! What did you do? I need to know

No special diets, just logging my calories here and always staying within my goal. I am pretty disciplined, even my cheat meals came in within my calories for the day. I did give up soda, but only because I can't control myself with it and I hate diet soda. I eat less carbs than before but that's because there is not a lot of room for them. I still have a sandwich every day, pizza once a week and a small treat almost daily. I just don't have a huge bowl of pasta for dinner every night! I work out 6 days a week. A mix of cardio, circuit training and strength training. My advice would be to weigh everything. Be honest with your logging and you will be able to do it!! Good luck!

Did you eat back your exercise calories?
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 and the only reason I didn't lose more was I had to have hip replacement surgery.
  • kchuch77
    kchuch77 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congrats guys on your weight loss!!!

Curious...what did you set your goal at when you started? 2 lbs per week?
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    kchuch77 wrote: »
    toseeme wrote: »
    I think it's possible! I lost 74lbs in 8 and a half months. I didn't have more to lose, but I imagine that if I did and I had kept up that pace it would happen. Good luck!

This is my current goal! What did you do? I need to know

No special diets, just logging my calories here and always staying within my goal. I am pretty disciplined, even my cheat meals came in within my calories for the day. I did give up soda, but only because I can't control myself with it and I hate diet soda. I eat less carbs than before but that's because there is not a lot of room for them. I still have a sandwich every day, pizza once a week and a small treat almost daily. I just don't have a huge bowl of pasta for dinner every night! I work out 6 days a week. A mix of cardio, circuit training and strength training. My advice would be to weigh everything. Be honest with your logging and you will be able to do it!! Good luck!

Did you eat back your exercise calories?

Not in the beginning. Admittedly, I went too hard, too fast. But as things went on I started listening to my body's cues. I also wanted to be smart about my weight loss and slowed down the rate of loss as I got closer to my goal. Now i eat back at least half of my exercise calories most days. If I did not have a particularly strenuous workout out I won't bother eating those calories back. I am just getting ready to start maintenance and I am trying to practice a little more common sense. So if I am hungry, I eat them. If I am not, I don't worry too much about eating them back! Most days I am hungry!
  • toseeme
    toseeme Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    JRSINAZ wrote: »
    I lost 100 pounds in 250 days and not one day at the gym just lots of walking and a plant based nutritarian diet.

Hey could you talk more about this? I am very interested. I went vegan once for about a year and I was sickly. I think I did it wrong. I am trying now to cut back on meat in general. What did your day to day look like if you don't mind sharing?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    My son lost 80lbs in a year, and has kept it off since 2013. He basically watched his portion sizes - he tracked his intake initially here on MFP but he also took up cycling - a few times a week he thinks nothing of doing 60 -100 mile cycles now.

So yes it is possible. He was over 19 stone to begin with, 5ft 9. He averaged 2000-2200 calories gross while losing.
  • babylovers
    babylovers Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds in 10 months. I went from 305 to now 205 . My starting weight was 360 but I'm just speaking for the last hundred I lost was in ten months. My mom also passed away during this time so there was about 2 months I didn't really lose weight due to the business of caring for her stuff and emotions. When I lose weight I go extreme tho. I am 5'6 female 29 years old. I eat about 800 -1000 calories a day no carbs . And I exercise walking/jogging or lifting weights 40 mins 5x a week. So u burn off everything you eat . I'm not suggesting you do this I'm just saying what I did /do. gctsmfhga3rg.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!