Will macros give me a different body shape?

Options
I’m trying to lose 10 lbs. Is counting macros better than just being in a calorie deficit alone? I see all this pics of women who do macros and their bodies look toned Af and then I see “skinny” people who just cut calories . Am I doing this wrong. Should I be counting calories and macros to get the best looking body? Thanks!

Replies

• Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I do lift weights 3-4 times a week .
  • Famof72015
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    In order to change your body shape and look more "toned", you will want to retain as much muscle as possible as you lose. In order to do that, a progressive lifting program as well as adequate protein, also not losing too agressively. Also having a decent muscle base will help.. without that you may not look as defined as you'd like when you reach goal.

You don't have to count macros or calories, although it can help you hit your goals and make things easier especially with 10lbs to lose you may not have as much wiggle room.

I personally don't count or track anything and lean down nicely. But.. I follow a lifting program where I progress over time, I make sure I get enough protein (with each snack or meal), I track my weight to make sure I am eating in a small deficit, and take measurements and progress photos frequently.

What lifting program do you follow?!

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    In order to change your body shape and look more "toned", you will want to retain as much muscle as possible as you lose. In order to do that, a progressive lifting program as well as adequate protein, also not losing too agressively. Also having a decent muscle base will help.. without that you may not look as defined as you'd like when you reach goal.

You don't have to count macros or calories, although it can help you hit your goals and make things easier especially with 10lbs to lose you may not have as much wiggle room.

I personally don't count or track anything and lean down nicely. But.. I follow a lifting program where I progress over time, I make sure I get enough protein (with each snack or meal), I track my weight to make sure I am eating in a small deficit, and take measurements and progress photos frequently.

What lifting program do you follow?!

Right now I follow a monthly subscription program similar to Strong Curves called Get Glutes. But in the past I followed Strong Curves and other programs by Bret Contreras and Kellie Davis.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    I'll choose to listen to Layne over anyone who's clicked the 'woo' button any day of the week.

Woo all you like, it's science.

I did not watch the video. So anything I say is pure speculation off of what may have been mentioned. I personally however do not believe fat loss and macros are completely related. The appearance of body composition however sounds much more likely. Due to increased/decreased water weight and glycogen from varying carb intake and fat. Along with an overall harder look when constant adequate protein is consumed. But that doesn't necessarily translate to true body composition.

I do however agree with you on the woos. Rather than hiding behind a button with their would be knowledge. People should step forward and state in a discussion as to why they disagree with you or believe in a different method preferably from fact based apposed to anecdotal. At least state something rather than patting their own backs saying "you did good today wooing that guys opinion"

I personally follow Doctor brad schoenfeld and I cannot recall any studies or articles that he has posted stating macros may hold a significant place in regards to fat loss during a deficit. I however could be mistaken.
  • carolsoules
    carolsoules Posts: 34 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Macro tracking and timing are great tools for body recomposition (gaining more lean body mass and losing more fat).

But when it comes down to it, the best way to get toned is lift, and don't be afraid to lift heavy. Looks like you're already doing that, so make sure to push yourself in the gym and the results will follow!

If you're fairly new to lifting, the honest truth is that you'll have to increase protein AND carb intake (and total calories) in order to put on muscle. People who have been athletic for a while and already have a solid amount of lean body mass can lean bulk, but newbies usually can't because they need to build more muscle, and building muscle demands a calorie surplus. The macro counting Instagram models you see have mostly been at this for YEARS and have bulked/cut several cycles over to get that look.

Basically, most women's bikini and figure athletes will go through a "bulking" phase where they eat a ton, lift hard and heavy, limit cardio, and put on muscle (and a little fat). Then, once they have built the muscle they want and competition season approaches, they "cut"--eat at a calorie deficit (but still enough to fuel a lot of working out), usually limit carbs, add back both HIIT and LISS cardio, and do higher reps/circuit training/more plyometric moves in their lifting workouts.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I did not watch the video. So anything I say is pure speculation off of what may have been mentioned. I personally however do not believe fat loss and macros are completely related.

Here's a transcript from the video which relates to the question.

There's research data that shows if you eat a high-protein, high-fiber diet at the same total calorie intake you actually lose more weight and lose more fat. It's not a huge amount more but it is significant.

As for OPs original question:

I’m trying to lose 10 lbs. Is counting macros better than just being in a calorie deficit alone?

For the sole purpose of losing 10lbs, a simple calories deficit is all that is needed.

However, OP then went on to compare people who looked toned AF as opposed to women who just look skinny.

To get the toned AF look, some weightlifting and a closer attention to macros will likely be needed.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Macro tracking and timing are great tools for body recomposition (gaining more lean body mass and losing more fat).

But when it comes down to it, the best way to get toned is lift, and don't be afraid to lift heavy. Looks like you're already doing that, so make sure to push yourself in the gym and the results will follow!

If you're fairly new to lifting, the honest truth is that you'll have to increase protein AND carb intake (and total calories) in order to put on muscle. People who have been athletic for a while and already have a solid amount of lean body mass can lean bulk, but newbies usually can't because they need to build more muscle, and building muscle demands a calorie surplus. The macro counting Instagram models you see have mostly been at this for YEARS and have bulked/cut several cycles over to get that look.

Basically, most women's bikini and figure athletes will go through a "bulking" phase where they eat a ton, lift hard and heavy, limit cardio, and put on muscle (and a little fat). Then, once they have built the muscle they want and competition season approaches, they "cut"--eat at a calorie deficit (but still enough to fuel a lot of working out), usually limit carbs, add back both HIIT and LISS cardio, and do higher reps/circuit training/more plyometric moves in their lifting workouts.

New lifters are likely in a better position to gain muscle than people who have been lifting for longer periods. "newbie gains" can happen even in a deficit for a period of time.

"lean bulk" is to do with the size of a surplus, keeping it small enables muscle growth with limited fat gain. A large surplus generally means you gain more fat.
  • Famof72015
    Options
    So if I just earin a calorie deficit and lift weights I’ll drop body fat and tone I guess is what I’m asking? I really don’t want to track macros.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    So if I just earin a calorie deficit and lift weights I’ll drop body fat and tone I guess is what I’m asking? I really don’t want to track macros.

If you are in a calorie deficit, you will lose body fat.
    If you lift weights while in a deficit, you will be more likely to maintain your muscle mass. Your protein intake will affect this, but not overall weight loss. It's less a matter of 'tracking macros' as just making sure you get enough protein.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    No because you shape is your shape. You can enhance that shape with some muscle building, but again your shape is your shape. You CAN help to control your body fat percentage which for many helps to determine if it's the look they want or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I would just make sure you get adequate protein especially. Fats are important too for hormone and body functions so don't want to go too low there. You don't have to track.. but if you want you can use other methods to do this (eyeball, using hand portions, number systems etc)
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    No because you shape is your shape. You can enhance that shape with some muscle building, but again your shape is your shape. You CAN help to control your body fat percentage which for many helps to determine if it's the look they want or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Pretty much this. I was able to build up my upper body through lifting to create the illusion of an hour glass (still no boobs lol). I'm naturally pear-shaped.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2018
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    pbryd wrote: »
    I'll choose to listen to Layne over anyone who's clicked the 'woo' button any day of the week.

Woo all you like, it's science.

I did not watch the video. So anything I say is pure speculation off of what may have been mentioned. I personally however do not believe fat loss and macros are completely related. The appearance of body composition however sounds much more likely. Due to increased/decreased water weight and glycogen from varying carb intake and fat. Along with an overall harder look when constant adequate protein is consumed. But that doesn't necessarily translate to true body composition.

I do however agree with you on the woos. Rather than hiding behind a button with their would be knowledge. People should step forward and state in a discussion as to why they disagree with you or believe in a different method preferably from fact based apposed to anecdotal. At least state something rather than patting their own backs saying "you did good today wooing that guys opinion"

I personally follow Doctor brad schoenfeld and I cannot recall any studies or articles that he has posted stating macros may hold a significant place in regards to fat loss during a deficit. I however could be mistaken.

I think it's no secret that high protein diets are known to be the most effective.. not only from an energetic standpoint (as demonstrated in isocaloric studies) but also from a retention of muscle mass and metabolic standpoint. The studies clearly show that when you have two diets where calories are equated and protein is unmatched, the one that is higher in protein will always show a greater loss; if you want to see this demonstrated, look at half the "low carb studies" that show a metabolic advantage, both in EE output and fat loss. So @pbryd isn't exactly wrong and I am surprised by the people who Woo'd him, especially since I can see all the people who did. It's basic advice on this board as well.. Keep protein around 1.5 - 2.2g/kg of weight and follow a well structured lifting routine. That is how you provide the best opportunity to gain some muscle (even in a deficit if you are a newer lifter) and see body composition improvements.

The video is actually pretty good, it's the biochemstry basics of how fat loss works.

OP, I think you are overthinking things and IIRC, you have been told this a few times, but follow a structure program that you enjoy, have adequate protein and be consistent. And depending on your stats, you may have to follow some bulks/cuts.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to lose 10 lbs. Is counting macros better than just being in a calorie deficit alone? I see all this pics of women who do macros and their bodies look toned Af and then I see “skinny” people who just cut calories . Am I doing this wrong. Should I be counting calories and macros to get the best looking body? Thanks!

Those women are most likely definitely weight lifting (or spending large amounts of time in some sport that uses those muscles) - so the extra protein will have an effect for them. O/W- nope (as long as you aren't getting deficient in anything...there are minimums for fat and protein that even a sedentary person should make sure to get, and would be something to watch for if a vegan or eating low/non-fat everything).