Need to lose weight. Is Intermittent Fasting (IF) good?

Options
I was always a fit dude back then around 3 years ago. My BMI was within the average range and well, I would say I looked really fit back then. Then when I met my current girlfriend when we went on foreign dating events we became quite careless about our physical looks and our health. We’ve been eating unhealthy food and it has taken its toll on me. I’ve gained about 150 lbs over the last 3 years through an unhealthy lifestyle and I truly want to lose weight. These days, I’ve become more conscious not just about my health but also about how I look. I don’t look bad especially since I’m quite tall. However, I want to bring back my old body. I need legit advice as to how I can lose weight? Has anybody tried IF (intermittent fasting)? And did it work?

Replies

• lshaw1314
    lshaw1314 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's like every other method of calorie control, the biggest gain I got from it was the realisation that I had enough energy to do the things I wanted to without eating as much as I normally would. It helped control the cravings for my favourite treats too
  • layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I do IF but it's not intentional. I just skip breakfast and have 2 large meals a day. Works for me. Nothing special really, it just helps keep my calories down so I continue to lose weight.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I do it occasionally to bank calories for later in the day / week .. it works in that respect, all depends if you fancy missing the odd meal at certain times.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Intermittent fasting is just a tool to help control your calorie intake. It works (or doesn't work) just as well as any other diet/eating schedule with equivalent calories. It doesn't matter if you eat 1600 calories in 18 hours or 1600 calories in 8 hours. The main benefit to it is that some people find it more satisfying to confine their eating to a shorter window so they can have larger meals. Other people find it makes them too hungry between meals and is worse for satiety/compliance.

Other than that, there's no magic to intermittent fasting. It's a very trendy thing right now, but the benefits are highly overstated and there's a lot of wizardry ascribed to it which is completely untrue. Weight loss is going to come down to calories, regardless of what time of the day you eat them.

Yep....
    I do a the lightest forms of 12/12 14/10 because it gives me bigger meals later and helps a little with appetite control for me. No voodoo magic. Total calories for the day is what matters. I still track my macros.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of fasting because I never miss a meal! What you need in my opinion is a three pronged attack. Eat quality foods like lots of produce and lean meats. Manage portions to be in calorie deficit. Start moving and get some exercise. The 150 won't come off fast but if you get rid of some bad habits it will come off.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    Megg82 wrote: »
    I do IF and I disagree with it’s only benefit being caloric deficit.
    If you truly fast (absolutely no intake except water, herbal tea or black coffee- no calories) during your fasting period, it lowers insulin, increases human growth hormone & norepinephrine (fight or flight response), and cellular autophagy.
    There’s tons of research on it available on the internet & YouTube medical conferences you can watch instead of reading literature.
    Yes- it helps with caloric deficit.

Daily IF does help a little with insulin sensitivity, but the main increases in HGH and cellular autophagy are only seen if the fast lasts beyond 24 hours - i.e. a full day fast or longer. TBT, not eating for an extended period of time (like while you are sleeping) will lower insulin anyway.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Its a good adherence tool to use. It won't make you lose faster or better, being in your calorie deficit at the end of the day is what matters for fat loss.

Personally I have been using 16:8 for many years, it was only several years ago I found that it had it name. Choose an IF strategy you can stick to and what works to provide you with the best method to stick to your deficit.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    As others have said, IF is a tool, not a complete eating method. It's neither good or bad in and of itself. It's not a magic tool. If you use the tool to lower your calories, and it works, then it's the right tool for the job. If not, then it's not the right tool. Doesn't work for everybody - especially if you are not controlling your intake with it.
  • Martinez83014
    Martinez83014 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use it to help keep me in a deficit only. I can eat more, feel full, and stay under my calories. Also helps to keep me from eating at night on my way to bed.
  • lostsomeweightonce
    lostsomeweightonce Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like it. Seems to be working for me CICO still applies. I do a 23:1. The best part to me though is, in general, I feel like my stomach is tighter all day.
  • can111
    can111 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i am betting that it ends up to be a whatever-works-for-you type of thing. For me fasting is torture. I constantly think and obsess about food. Just what i need ... to think MORE about food! haha. Remember the old days when they advised to eat within an hour of waking up ... I found this to be burdensome. I get up at 5:30 and eat at my desk around 8:30. Works for me. Guess my point is do whatever works for YOU. it all boils down to CICO
  • can111
    can111 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oh and OP ... best wishes on your journey to health and fitness ... whatever path you choose!
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    It's practical when your calorie budget is at the minimum.