May 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    No run for me tonight, moved paint cans for an hour or so at work, I'll call that arm day haha :D I also tried a 30min yoga video... I really don't like yoga.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    Thanks @PastorVincent and @kevaasen that seems like a tough workout but I'll give it my best.

Wow. I guessed right!! I must be learning something about this running thing. Will look forward to seeing the results on Strava. Tip : I would take the recovery piece really, really slow so you can wind up again. Good luck!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    First run of the month down.

01 - 11.63

Total: 11.63 / 250 miles
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    May Running Totals (miles)
    5/1 – 5.69 warm up + speed work

May running total to date – 5.69

Nominal May mileage goal: 180 miles

Real goals: Stay healthy. Build base. Maybe run some trails. Have fun.

Today's notes – All of a sudden, it's late spring. Temperature at the time of club practice was 75º F (24º C). I'm not acclimated to running in weather this warm, but it's early enough that the humidity was low and we got a 15 mph wind to make it feel better.

Coach put up a marathon recovery workout of 2-3 easy miles. I felt better than marathon recovery, so I looked at the workout for Lilac 10K: 4-6 x 1000m at interval pace, with 3 minutes recovery, then 4 x 200m uphill strides. It's been a long time since I did speed work at I pace, but today seemed the day to try it. It was an easy decision to go for the low end, 4x1000. There's no way I'm up to 6x1000 at I pace today.

We are at Cobb's Hill, so the 1000m is part of a 1200m loop. It goes sharply down for 250m or so, then a longer uphill that feels like forever at interval pace, followed by a flattish stretch and maybe 50m of slight downhill at the end. Coach recommended we alternate directions for the intervals, so the other direction starts with a confidence building easy uphill, and ends with a 250m steeper uphill.

I could feel that I wasn't used to running speed work. The objective is consistency, preferably at the target pace. On the hill, I was looking for approximately 5K race level of effort and some consistency. Felt like quitting after 2 intervals, and again after 3; but I managed all 4. Then I quit instead of continuing an easy jog for my last 3 minutes of recovery. Walked back down to base, chatted a bit with other club members, and decided I wasn't up to adding 200m uphill strides onto the end of the workout today.

The 1000s came in at 3:52, 3:59, 4:01, and 4:06. I'm not very concerned about the absolute time, but the fact that each interval was slower shows that I have some work to do to get back into true racing form. Fortunately, I have 3 weeks before my next race.

2018 races:
    February 17, 2018 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) finished in 54:48
    February 24, 2018 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) finished in 28:46
    March 17, 2018 USATF Masters 8K (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 31:55
    March 24, 2018 Spring Forward 15K (Mendon, NY) ran at MP, finished in 1:10:47
    April 16, 2018 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:28:43
    April 29, 2018 USATF Masters 10K (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 41:33
    May 20, 2018 Lilac 10K (Rochester, NY)
    May 26, 2018 Sunset House 5K (Rochester, NY)
    June 3, 2018 USATF Masters Half Marathon (Ann Arbor, MI)
    June 9, 2018 Ontario Trail Summit Half Marathon (Naples, NY)
    September 30, 2018 Wineglass Marathon (Bath, NY)
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    5/1: ST, 1 mile dreadmill

Total: 1/70

Upcoming races:
    Wineglass Marathon 9/30

I focused on strength training today, but I ran 1 mile on the treadmill after. I felt sick to my stomach, so I called it quits and will try to make up my other two miles later in the week. I go on call for work on Thursday, so I will have to shift my long run to sometime next week when I am finished. I can just imagine a crisis call in the middle of my 9 miler! I figure I can get in a few 3-4 mile runs this week though.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Orphia Is there a sisu shirt in the works? I like our embrace the suck. It's light and great for summer runs. "My other shirts a sisu"? Haha! "Got SISU?" Oooo... I like it! "Just SISU it"??? Maybe it could be made in Braille (or Morse code), just in case we run into @garygse :love:

Finnish flag thrown in for fun. And morse code. :wink:

969kpt7vdkyd.jpg

Diggin' it
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    It’s been like 4 hours. Where did all these pages of posts come from? Goodness.

5/1-7.67 hot and still sore from squats miles

I’m going to try counting the little extra bits (I would usually just count 7), but the chances of me messing up the arithmetic by the end of the week are very high.

Last night I realized I ran out of heating oil (again) because my house was freezing and needed heat. On May 1st. Crazy. Then it was 86 or something when I went for my run. Also crazy but at least I no longer lamented my lack of heat.

Anyway-mileage isn’t my goal anyway. I did my planned workout/Run for the day and that’s my goal.

So 1/1 day according to plan.

Wow that’s a lot of words about nothing.
  • Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Sparx_81 wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Okay y'all, alarm is set for 5AM. 10K before work tomorrow ftw...

(Let's see if I can convince myself not to hit snooze.)

Let me know how to do this?! I either hit the snooze or have a 2yr old waking up with my alarm.... :D

I hit snooze 5 times. Will run home from work today, try again tomorrow, and fill ya in if I figure it out ;)

Thank God I'm not the only one who finds it hard to separate my head from the pillow! :D
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    5.2-3k, May total-3k, goal-100k

First day of vacation! Took a short walk/run/ramble detour into a random trail on my way to dinner, looked a bit like this.

Now I know what tea smells like when it's still attached to the shrub (like a shrub, really...). But hey, it's a tea field so awesome.
  • Wen2Run
    Wen2Run Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    In again for this month. Minimum I want to do is 80 miles, as that beats last years total for May. But my training plan has me down for 118 miles.

1/5/18 5.2 miles.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    -------   -----    -------
    Mar  02     3.9        3.9 

Still in rehab mode ... will try to get to 50!