would you say she was to skinny?

Options
so imagine you are walking in a store and you see a girl around 18. She is 5 feet 9 inches and weighs 128. She carries her weight all evenly. She has a small to mediumish body build. if it helps you picture her she has straight brown hair and blue eyes. Her waist is exactly 23 inches. Would you say she is too thin?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'd need to see her first...see how and what she eats, how much exercise she gets, etc. I wouldn't necessarily care how "thin" she was as long as she was healthy. You can be very thin, yet lean and healthy.
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Yes, why don't you show us a picture of the mysterious shopper.
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Her BMI is just above the underweight mark.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Depends on her body composition.
  • rikisue206
    rikisue206 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Even if she is too skinny she might also have a low muscle mass and not be in shape at all...
  • purnurple
    purnurple Posts: 102
    Options

the point is not the fact that she is a shopper. its just a random girl you see in your local walmart, your doctors office, the snow cone stand, the park down the road, its not me im just asking if you think that that is too skinny.
  • purnurple
    purnurple Posts: 102
    Options

the point is not the fact that she is a shopper. its just a random girl you see in your local walmart, your doctors office, the snow cone stand, the park down the road, its not me im just asking if you think that that is too skinny.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I agree that I can't answer your question without seeing this girl. She could be that height and weight and be very toned and fit looking or she could be that weight and look like skin and bones. You're asking people to judge based on numbers and one thing I've learned from adopting a healthier lifestyle is that numbers never give the whole picture--weight, BMI, body fat % are all vague guidelines, not absolute measures of fitness.
  • carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I would need to physically see her to tell. Some people are naturally slim/thin. To me, "too thin" means bones sticking out, no body fat, and ill looking.
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    so imagine you are walking in a store and you see a girl around 18. She is 5 feet 9 inches and weighs 128. She carries her weight all evenly. She has a small to mediumish body build. if it helps you picture her she has straight brown hair and blue eyes. Her waist is exactly 23 inches. Would you say she is too thin?

I dont know. Im 5'2 and i weigh like 100 so would that make ME too thin....just depends on the person...some people carry their weigh better than others.
  • ACF2
    ACF2 Posts: 51
    Options
    does she have big boobs?
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options

Okay, the mysterious girl then. The point is that we can't tell unless we actually see her.
  • sineadangele1
    sineadangele1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", I am currently 168 lbs and my wast is 29 inches. I have a wider and curvier frame than a lot of the tall girls I know. Many of them are very long and lean so I'm pretty sure they have slim waist lines. They don't look unhealthy tho. We are all shaped differently so its not our place to determine what is too skinny (unless you are seeing more skeleton than person).
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and if *I* were 128, then yes, I'd be too skinny. But I also have a medium to large frame, where I think I'd be good at 150-160. Or maybe I see no point in being a size 0 to 4. I'd be happy at an 8.

Like others said, it depends on body composition. However, at 128 and 5'9 I think that could be pretty borderline with a healthy ratio of body % and muscle.

That being said, I don't think that a girl with the stats you gave are necessarily that outlandish. Heidi Klum is 5'9 and 120. She doesn't seem sickly skinny.
  • sineadangele1
    sineadangele1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and if *I* were 128, then yes, I'd be too skinny. But I also have a medium to large frame, where I think I'd be good at 150-160. Or maybe I see no point in being a size 0 to 4. I'd be happy at an 8.

Like others said, it depends on body composition. However, at 128 and 5'9 I think that could be pretty borderline with a healthy ratio of body % and muscle.

That being said, I don't think that a girl with the stats you gave are necessarily that outlandish. Heidi Klum is 5'9 and 120. She doesn't seem sickly skinny.

thats because heidi klum is always preggers haha =P
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options

thats because heidi klum is always preggers haha =P

Shoot...that probably is her day-before-Csection-and-tummytuck weight.
  • ViolettaAlexis
    Options
    As long as she is healthy, no problems. The girl you're describing sounds almost exactly like me. Except I'm 134. Lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    CAT DEELY host of "So You Think You Can Dance?" is right at those statistics.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Looking at someone in a shop, I don't know their weight or waist size. In other people, too skinny is skeletal or ill looking (especially as in everyday life they're wearing clothes), but in myself it is sunken cheeks (where I'm heading now, despite a 28" waist). Build and body history make such a difference!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and currently weigh 155.. I don't ever think I'd hit 128, mainly because I don't think I would look good at that weight.

The lowest I'd prob. go is 140.. and even that may be too thin for me.