Leg straightening exercises

Options
Hi, I'm a student dancer and I'm looking for some advice on stretches and exercises to strengthen my legs and enable me to go from kneeling to standing in one move or to suddenly crouch down then jump up. At the moment it's like an old woman trying to get up off the floor lol

Replies

• andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Squats sounds like what you are looking for ;) Also variations like lunges, or leg press will be beneficial
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Squats jumps, jumping lunges and box jumps will all help with that. Make the movement very explosive but focus on soft landings so you don't damage your joints. Start off slow and ease into it so you don't over do it.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I did a body weight only routine that focused on range of motion and deep single leg squats etc. One move in particular seemed it would help your goal, the reverse burpee. You essentially start in hollow body hold and then rock back and forth until you are eventually rolling from a shoulder stand to your lower back and butt until you get enough momentum to get up on your feet. Its great way to teach your body how use its own momentum to go from prone on your back to on your feet. You combine this with deep squats and single leg variants you'll be doing well.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    you mean you're a student who dances, or a student AT some kind of dance school?

because if it's the latter i'd be really sceptical of any dance school that didn't include that kind of thing in the programme itself. just saying.