Digital (person) scale recommendations?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
Tried searching this but really only ended up finding info on food scales, which I suppose I should get as well, but this is where the gap was.

I've never owned a scale, but when my Mom learned I was over 200lbs she completely changed her perspective and I am finally allowed to purchase a scale.

I just really have no idea what's accurate, decent, etc. I don't need anything fancy, no body fat % estimate, phone-syncing capabilities, etc. Just lbs, maybe it would be nice if it did 2 decimal points, but that might be asking too much idk. I also don't want to spend a ton (currently jobless).

The only thing I can think of that might be a problem is our floors aren't completely level. They slant a bit everywhere, so there's no getting around that.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. You can add food scale recs if you want too, although the search did find a few already :tongue:

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I got an Innotech a month ago and it’s consistent & easy to read. You don’t need a scale that reads out in hundredths of a pound! 0.1 lb is only about 1.5 ounces and that’s plenty to track your progress.
  • kiela64
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I got an Innotech a month ago and it’s consistent & easy to read. You don’t need a scale that reads out in hundredths of a pound! 0.1 lb is only about 1.5 ounces and that’s plenty to track your progress.

True, yes, that sounds good! Thanks! Consistent & easy to read sound like good things :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I got a weight watchers digital from Walmart and it works well.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question not too long ago and the OXO scale was recommended. I bought it and really like it. No frills, easy to read and seems to be accurate. I bought mine on Amazon.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Mine is pretty fancy and syncs my weight to various websites without having to type anything in, but it's way overkill (found it in a clearance bin).

Just one thing on some of the scales. I had a weight watchers one (still have it) and if your weight doesn't change by much (I think mine was 3/4 of a lb or so), it will show the previous weight. It annoyed me, but I would turn it on, step on it with one foot, get a reading then stand on it normally to get the "true" weight for that day. If I lost half a lb I wanted to see it, dammit.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Mine is pretty fancy and syncs my weight to various websites without having to type anything in, but it's way overkill (found it in a clearance bin).

Just one thing on some of the scales. I had a weight watchers one (still have it) and if your weight doesn't change by much (I think mine was 3/4 of a lb or so), it will show the previous weight. It annoyed me, but I would turn it on, step on it with one foot, get a reading then stand on it normally to get the "true" weight for that day. If I lost half a lb I wanted to see it, dammit.

What's the logic with a scale that won't show you what you really weigh? Why does that 'feature' exist?
  • kiela64
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

What's the logic with a scale that won't show you what you really weigh? Why does that 'feature' exist?

Wow, that's awful! I really really do not want a scale that does that :anguished: I'll avoid anything WW related. A classmate of mine back in grade 6 was in WW and it seemed like a strange program.
  • kiela64
    Options
    HilTri wrote: »
    I asked the same question not too long ago and the OXO scale was recommended. I bought it and really like it. No frills, easy to read and seems to be accurate. I bought mine on Amazon.

In my searches OXO appears to only make food scales. Thank you though!
  • tegtmeyerd
    tegtmeyerd Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've had the fitbit aria scale for a few years and have no problems with it. Like that it automatically syncs with my apps.
  • kiela64
    Options
    tegtmeyerd wrote: »
    I've had the fitbit aria scale for a few years and have no problems with it. Like that it automatically syncs with my apps.

Thank you but wow that thing is nearly $200 D:
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

Guess it is just there for folks who get stressed over every little tenth of a lb. But it seems a relatively common feature.
  • kiela64
    Options
    The ones I'm finding in the around $25 range are:
    • Ozeri: a $25 scale with Tare (I'd like to know what the value/use of this feature is in practice, if any of you have it), measures to 0.1lb, OR a $20 scale without Tare that measures to 0.2lb
    • Accuweight: a $20 scale, measures to 0.2lb, has 4 sensors
    • BalanceFrom: a $14 scale that measures to 0.2lb, 4 sensors
    • Etekcity: $26, measures to 0.2lb but claims to be extra reliable bc of 4 sensors and an "CE/RoHS approval" (I have no idea what that means). OR $24, without any significant differences just in a different material. OR $28 that seems the same but claims "ultra accuracy".
    • EatSmart Precision: $29, no tare, measures to 0.2lb. I found it on a list of "best scales" but I don't really know why? It seems very similar to everything else, and I'm not sure what it has to recommend it over the $14 scale?
    • Dr Health: $18, no tare, to 0.2lb
    • Triomph: $19, to 0.2lb (no tare)

I don't know if that's a decent price point to look in, or if it should be higher, if I'm even paying attention to the correct things? Maybe I'm overthinking it a bit. I just don't want to get something that is terrible, inaccurate, that has that weird feature mentioned above, etc.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »

[*] Ozeri: a $25 scale with Tare (I'd like to know what the value/use of this feature is in practice, if any of you have it), measures to 0.1lb,

In body scales, tare allows for you to zero out your weight so you can only see the weight of something that you're carrying/holding. Tends to be helpful to weigh babies.

0.2 of a pound is fine precision-wise. That's 3 ounces...not something you would generally get concerned about (unless you're weighing a newborn baby).

CE/ROHS has nothing to do with accuracy and is a certification that a product has passed safety standards and/or doesn't contain high levels of mercury, etc. Not the most critical thing to have for a scale.

For a basic scale with no other functions, $25 or less is fine.
  • kiela64
    edited May 2018
    Options

[*] Ozeri: a $25 scale with Tare (I'd like to know what the value/use of this feature is in practice, if any of you have it), measures to 0.1lb,

In body scales, tare allows for you to zero out your weight so you can only see the weight of something that you're carrying/holding. Tends to be helpful to weigh babies.

0.2 of a pound is fine precision-wise. That's 3 ounces...not something you would generally get concerned about (unless you're weighing a newborn baby).

CE/ROHS has nothing to do with accuracy and is a certification that a product has passed safety standards and/or doesn't contain high levels of mercury, etc. Not the most critical thing to have for a scale.

For a basic scale with no other functions, $25 or less is fine.

Thank you for your feedback. The $14 scale is looking attractive in that case - it seems to have all the same functions as literally everything else, aside from the Tare or the 0.1lb accuracy of the Ozeri.

Both scales have mostly positive Amazon reviews but with a good number claiming it does not weigh accurately and it was terrible. So I don't really see any benefit in paying the extra if it's a gamble either way, as well....
  • MishMashMisha
    MishMashMisha Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I have that scale (have actually had it for about 3 years now.) I only just recently realized that it does that. I have no idea why that "feature" exists.

• kiela64
    Options

I have that scale (have actually had it for about 3 years now.) I only just recently realized that it does that. I have no idea why that "feature" exists.

Any ideas on how to figure out what scales do this/don’t do this?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have not had a problem with my WW scale. I can weigh myself before and after a workout and it gives me different readings, to 1/10 of a lb. Sometimes I do multiple weigh-ins just to check it, and then weigh a dumbbell. It seems accurate, even compared to the one at the nurse, the doctors office, and one a family member has.
  • kiela64
    Options
    • Ozeri: a $25 scale with Tare (I'd like to know what the value/use of this feature is in practice, if any of you have it), measures to 0.1lb, OR a $20 scale without Tare that measures to 0.2lb
    • Accuweight: a $20 scale, measures to 0.2lb, has 4 sensors
    • BalanceFrom: a $14 scale that measures to 0.2lb, 4 sensors
    • Etekcity: $26, measures to 0.2lb but claims to be extra reliable bc of 4 sensors and an "CE/RoHS approval" (I have no idea what that means). OR $24, without any significant differences just in a different material. OR $28 that seems the same but claims "ultra accuracy".
    • EatSmart Precision: $29, no tare, measures to 0.2lb. I found it on a list of "best scales" but I don't really know why? It seems very similar to everything else, and I'm not sure what it has to recommend it over the $14 scale?
    • Dr Health: $18, no tare, to 0.2lb
    • Triomph: $19, to 0.2lb (no tare)

I don't know if that's a decent price point to look in, or if it should be higher, if I'm even paying attention to the correct things? Maybe I'm overthinking it a bit. I just don't want to get something that is terrible, inaccurate, that has that weird feature mentioned above, etc.

After reading your comments and approximately 50000 different reviews, articles, etc I think I'm going to go with the $14 scale because it has the same amount of positivity/negativity and accuracy/decent customer service as the others, and just does the basic of weighing. Thanks everyone!

I still have no idea how to know if a scale is going to do the Thing people have talked about here of repeating the last reading, but someone in a review of a different scale mentioned that picking up a weight, weighing yourself with the weight, then putting the weight down and weighing yourself again should fix the issue. So at least I guess if it does happen it won't be the end of the world.

I just hope my slanted/wonky floors aren't an issue. I'll also always have to move it in and out of view as well. Fingers crossed!
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    I still have no idea how to know if a scale is going to do the Thing people have talked about here of repeating the last reading, but someone in a review of a different scale mentioned that picking up a weight, weighing yourself with the weight, then putting the weight down and weighing yourself again should fix the issue. So at least I guess if it does happen it won't be the end of the world.

I guess if you have a weight hanging around, but it's much easier to put one foot on the scale, get a reading, then step on it normally. Does the reset just fine and deosn't need you to have and hold onto a weight.

• Tacklewasher
    Options

Any ideas on how to figure out what scales do this/don’t do this?

Took me a while to figure out mine did this, so no real way to tell from the packaging. Maybe reviews will tell you.