This 1200 calorie thing is driving me up a wall

Options
I have to rant. I have seen this so much lately. It drives me nuts.

1200 calories is a number, that's it. Why do so many people think this should
be their cut off? Are there that many people that are 5 foot 1 inch and 125 lbs
out there? Because that's really where you need to be to be eating 1200 calories.

This is your body people! Talk to a nutritionist or a certified trainer. I did, and he laughed when I mentioned the 1200 calorie thing. He mentioned "myth" more then once in his explaination.

Am I the only one who sees this? If I am I'm sorry for being so obtuse (and please, let me know, I can take it, I'm not that fragile about critisizm, as a matter of fact, I welcome it).

But I don't want to see people hurting their bodies, and I don't want this place to turn into "Crash Diet Central"

Replies

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I have to rant. I have seen this so much lately. It drives me nuts.

1200 calories is a number, that's it. Why do so many people think this should
    be their cut off? Are there that many people that are 5 foot 1 inch and 125 lbs
    out there? Because that's really where you need to be to be eating 1200 calories.

This is your body people! Talk to a nutritionist or a certified trainer. I did, and he laughed when I mentioned the 1200 calorie thing. He mentioned "myth" more then once in his explaination.

Am I the only one who sees this? If I am I'm sorry for being so obtuse (and please, let me know, I can take it, I'm not that fragile about critisizm, as a matter of fact, I welcome it).

But I don't want to see people hurting their bodies, and I don't want this place to turn into "Crash Diet Central"
  • elliebuell
    Options
    I don't usually post but I had to write and say that I completely agree with all that you've said and share your frustation.
  • banks1850
    Options
    I don't usually post but I had to write and say that I completely agree with all that you've said and share your frustation.

thanks, it's nice to know I'm not just a nut ball. (well, at least not for this):wink:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    lol...I don't think your a nut either girl!

I actually am 5'1" (and a 1/2 LOL) and want to get back to being well as close to 125 as feels right....so I think 1200 a day is gonna do it for me....but my hubby told me just last night that he'd never be able to do it....I think its how fast you want to see results too....but honestly if I was starving or really having a hard time w/ it...and not just the regular I hate dieting thing, I'm sure I'd eat more....

Oh and I do eat more...lol...i just exercise a lot more...and if I can't get more exercise in and I still feel like I'm hungry...not craving...I will eat more. I think we all know our bodies and can be honest w/ ourselves if its true hunger or just this stinks kind of thing!

I'd recommend seeing a nutritionist or dr. for the best advice...as I know I'm only giving it from my own experience lol.. for whatever that's worth! lol

so no don't think you're nuts hon!
    best of luck!
    Ali :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    Options
    lol...I don't think your a nut either girl!

I actually am 5'1" (and a 1/2 LOL) and want to get back to being well as close to 125 as feels right....so I think 1200 a day is gonna do it for me....but my hubby told me just last night that he'd never be able to do it....I think its how fast you want to see results too....but honestly if I was starving or really having a hard time w/ it...and not just the regular I hate dieting thing, I'm sure I'd eat more....

Oh and I do eat more...lol...i just exercise a lot more...and if I can't get more exercise in and I still feel like I'm hungry...not craving...I will eat more. I think we all know our bodies and can be honest w/ ourselves if its true hunger or just this stinks kind of thing!

I'd recommend seeing a nutritionist or dr. for the best advice...as I know I'm only giving it from my own experience lol.. for whatever that's worth! lol

so no don't think you're nuts hon!
    best of luck!
    Ali :flowerforyou:

thanks, (course, I'm a guy so...calling me girl made me sad.) :laugh:
  • megan0313
    Options
    I agree with all of you. Since I've been using this journal, I find myself paying more attention to the nutritional value of the foods I eat rather than the calories. Now that I'm exercising more regularly, I listen more to what my body's telling me and try to eat accordingly. some days I definitely need more than 1200 calories or I get completely run down, and some days 1200 or so is just fine, As long as I'm eating 'healthy' and feeling healthy I feel I'm heading towards my goal. And I've been slowly, but steadily dropping the pounds, so it seems to be working.
    :flowerforyou:
    Megan
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I was just reading what you said about "good calories" what are "good" calories and the "good" fats? What should I be looking for. I am completely new to this so I don't know much at all. If counting calories doesn't matter, (I find it's very hard to only eat 1200 and try to fit in ALL the servings you NEED from the food group haha) what should I follow then? The food group? Can I really trust what this site is telling me about how much I am actually burning with exercise? How can I really know?
  • chrispchef1
    Options
    yes some of us are 5'1" and 125 lbs... and over 50....

let me assure you my passion for eating is in direct inverse proportion to my size. :wink:

so if I eat 1200 cals/day i will actually gain weight, how unfair is that? anyway, we all have our challenges when it comes to monitoring our consumption. the whole idea here is to get HEALTHY, and this site is awesome for providing the tools and support to help us reach our goals!!

i just wish i liked celery sticks.........
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I am with you! I'm 5 foot nothing and 135 and I eat upwards of 1800 calories a day. 1200 is actually below my BMR, which I had tested in a lab so it's quite accurate. I'd die if I ate 1200 cals a day with my lifestyle! I don't even eat that on off-days. I think people are just afraid of weight gain, and see calories as potential weight rather than potential energy.
    Unless you have hypothyroidism, you just won't gain fat eating 1200 calories a day. Food weight? Yes. Fecal weight? Yes. Water and glycogen? Yes. Fat? No, because unless you're bedridden, you're burning more than that. My BMR is 1265...I recently got a great HR monitoring watch that calculates calories burned as well. While my BMR burns about 53 cals/hr, my other activities have burnt about 80/hr on top of that. You guys have to remember that your body is burning calories ALL the time. When you're sitting, sleeping, walking, watching TV, it's constant. If you're "gaining" on ridiculously low calories, first get your thyroid checked out, and then if it's normal, increase your calories so you're not ruining your metabolism.
  • banks1850
    Options
    I hesitate to write this, and let me stress that I am neither a trained nutritionist, nor do I claim to have any knowledge that I didn't acquire by normal research. But I feel like I have to say what I am saying below.
    yes some of us are 5'1" and 125 lbs... and over 50....

...so if I eat 1200 cals/day i will actually gain weight, how unfair is that?

Chrispchef1, I had a hard time with your comments, not because I thought that they were directed towards me or being negative or anything like that, but I couldn't make the math work in my head, so I went to the web and found a few BMR calculators. I put in Female 5 foot 1, 125 lbs, and over 50 (I put in 55 just to be sure) and all of them came up with a BMR of over 1200. That doesn't mean I think you are wrong, I just am curious how you came up with it because I am always wanting to learn more. Maybe there are factors I don't know about, in which case, I appologize for even bringing it up (feel free to verbally slap me if that is the case.).

I just would like people to understand BMR is a dangerous line to cross and is designed to tell people how many calories their body burns if they did nothing but lay in bed all day. It doesn't take into account walking, brushing teeth, climbing stairs, typing...etc. So your BMR is the absolute minimum number of calories your body needs to function normally. Dropping below this level for any extended period can mean, at minimum, putting your metabolism into "starvation mode" and can have serious heath consequenses. Check this out :

http://www.apinchofhealth.com/resources/lowcarb/VLCD-Research.html

Again, I just want to see everyone healthy. And almost every single resource I read, and every nutritionist I have ever talked to always stresses the importance of not only eating right, but eating enough food!:flowerforyou:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Thank you Banks, for your passion and drive!! You always have great info and great encouragement!! I appreciate your passion for health and helping us understand what that really is :smile: I always enjoy your posts and find them informative - even when you rant!! We get so twisted in our society about food that it is hard to overcome the myths. Keep up the good work, man!! :heart:
  • banks1850
    Options
    Thank you Banks, for your passion and drive!! You always have great info and great encouragement!! I appreciate your passion for health and helping us understand what that really is :smile: I always enjoy your posts and find them informative - even when you rant!! We get so twisted in our society about food that it is hard to overcome the myths. Keep up the good work, man!! :heart:

:blushing:

I have the patience of a Jack Russle terrier sometimes. thank you for the kind words!
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    When I first started counting calories I was eating 1200-1340 a day. I exercise alot and I was finding myself dizzy and lightheaded everytime I stood up. I am not a rocket scientist, but I concluded that perhaps I was not getting enough nutrition. So I upped my calories by 300 and guess what? I am not lightheaded anymore and I am still losing weight. I am not tall (5 foot 3) and I am 35 years old. What works for me may not work for someone else, but I do however think that everyone should pay very close attn to their own body and know what not getting enough nutrition feels like. If you are feeling dizzy, faint or light headed chances are your body is speaking to you...in fact it might be yelling at you to feed it!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/calsburned.htm

I use the "easy way" here for maintenance. Works great.

Also, her healthy body calculator (she's a dietician) is great. There's a link to it on the link I posted.

If I ate 1200 calories a day, I would not remain vertical at all.:wink:

I wish that there was a way the system here would not permit anyone to eat under their BMR. This is just setting people up to gain the weight back. Once you go down that strict, I believe that your metabolism is screwed up. (IMHO)
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    lmbo my bad! :blushing: hey it was early...and I thought your stunning wife was the one who posted ....
    so I hear you MAN! lol
    hugs!
    Ali
  • its time for change
    Options
    Okay, I am really glad that I read this. I have been going back and forth for 24 hours about my calorie consumption. I told that little weight loss calculator that I wanted to lose 2 pounds a week. I think that this is a healthy amount to lose. It said that in order to do that I could eat 1200 calories a day. So, I have been eating 1200 calories a day. Yesterday I decided that it was not enough because I was feeling dizzy so I decided to only lose 1 pound a week. Then I got to eat several hundred more calories. But then I made the mistake of weighing. I lost 5 pounds since Tuesday. Well naturally being weight motivated, I decided to go back down to 1200 calories a day. I am nervous, shaking, my eyesight is blurry, I am dizzy, snappy towards others, dropping things, etc. So I upped my calories. But I have not ate enough today. Even though I upped my calories I have only taken in about 500 something and it is 3 pm here. But I did have a good lunch 1 cup soup, 1 peice 100% whole wheat bread, and a navel orange. I have taken my vitamins, plus two Vitamin drinks. I still feel like crap. (Oh but it could be caffeine withdrawl too). :wink: Although, I am no longer hungry, I am still shaky, well all the symptoms I listed above. I am trying to figure out what is really good for me that will give me lots of stuff that I need and that I will enjoy to eat as a snack. Any suggestions? I am going to go shopping later. Also, I am totally going to stick to 1400-1650 calories a day from now on, so I don't need a kick in the butt for that. I just got a little enthusiastic about my 5 pound weight loss. :sick:
  • banks1850
    Options
    sounds like low blood-sugar to me. Once the food kicks in (it can take a few hours) you will probably be ok. If your still like this in a few hours, I would consider going to the emergency room, just to be sure. But I bet you just have laggin effects from eating too little for an extended period. Have an apple or orange (another one I mean), it will throw some quick sugar into your body. Ironically, eating all that healthy food probably delayed your recovery because a lot of that food is harder to break down and distribute. Normally that's a good thing because it gives your body time to burn it off, but in a case like this, you want the calories in your body as fast as possible so whole grains and such aren't the right choice.
  • its time for change
    Options
    Thanks Banks. I actually was eating something really awful while I was typing that (pork rinds) and I am feeling better already. I was able to get some protein and calories into me without too much effort. I still don't feel like myself but I do feel a little better. Of course, I havent' stood up yet, so we'll see. If I am still dizzy, I'll have a banana! I appreciate your reply.
  • Annab412
    Options
    Hi Banks,
    I read your 'rant' and i agree, i was beginning to notice that alot of people who post on this site say their caloric intake is set at 1200 max per day which obviously is an arbitrary number for anyone who wants to lose 2 pounds per week because its as low and your body can go in calories and still consume the necessary minerals and vitamins. However everyone and every body is different and requires different amounts of calories on different days. As long as people keep eating all healthy foods like raw colorful veggies and fruits and lean protein they aren't likely to gain weight if they stay active.
    MFP shouldn't recommend this magic 1200 calorie number to everyone who says they want to lose two pounds per week because its actually a very difficult amount to lose in one week. 4-5 pounds a month is actually average for someone working with a professional trainer and nutritionist. Fitness and weightloss don't happen overnight with a 1200 max. They happen with consistent hardwork, positive attitude and perserverence!

Ok there's my rant for the day. Keep up the good work. Have you all had your five veggies and fruits yet? no? well get going then!
  • esp331
    esp331 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this site but I think (from the instructions/descriptions) that MFP is recommending 1200 cal/day AFTER EXERCISE. So you should actually consume much more than that. I have found that if I ate 1200 cal and then I burned 100 cal while exercising, it tells me I have "earned" 100 calories.

It is confusing though, and I agree with everyone when they say that the 1200 cal thing is ridiculous. Some of the calculators that were recommended earlier are easy to use, but I have gotten so many different numbers from so many calculators that I don't know what's right anymore. I am 5ft and 130 lbs and the dietician site that was posted earlier actually suggested 1200 cal for me, but that doesn't seem right.

For the past 3 weeks I have been eating relatively healthy foods 6 times a day, drinking 8 glasses of water, and I exercise for 30 min 3 times per week but I have not lost any weight. I thought calculating calorie intake would help, but now I am just confused.