How important is the number on the scale to you?

Options
I weigh in EVERY DAY without fail maybe about 3xs I am not disheartened too much when I see slight fluctuations...but as long as it isn't first thing in morning oh lawd. So to me it is of utmost importance.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I track trends and I like to see them go in certain directions in line with my goals but the number itself I don't care much about.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I used to care a lot but now I’m more interested is how my clothes fit and adding weight to my lifts
  • lisaloumn2
    lisaloumn2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    right now very important as it is finally moving (in the right direction) after going the other way for a long time. I do weigh daily and probably will for a while.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself right after my morning coffee Monday to Friday, as I'm getting in the shower then. On weekends, my routine is far more relaxed, and I may eat breakfast before my shower... Or not shower until after walking my dog, so my weigh ins can be any time during the day. Sometimes, I don't weigh in at all on the weekend. I'd like to say that I don't care about the number on the scale, but I do. I also care about my trend, so I try to focus on that.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It used to be of extreme importance to me, but other considerations have crowded it out. I've got a couple of health conditions (hypothyroid and possible gout) that I'm focused on dealing with ATM. I'm more concerned about my exercise and these other things. I still keep track of my eating and make sure I'm not eating too much, but I'm not really focused on losing weight right now. That might change once I get accustomed to the changes I've had to make, but not quite yet.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    My goal was my upper limit and staying below it is very important to me. I weigh every other day and I have stayed below it over 6 weeks so far and haven't come within a couple of pounds of it in 3 or 4 weeks so I don't have anxiety every time I weigh, but the number is very important to me.
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Somewhat important. I've gotten way off track this last year with all of my planning and fledgling good habits, so starting to weigh myself daily is important for me to get back on track with holding myself accountable, being mindful of what I'm eating and doing, etc.

Upward fluctuations are always a little disappointing, but I've found that it gets easier. When you know it's normal you can remind yourself and keep focused on the overall trend and non-scale observations like how you feel or how your clothes fit. It becomes a normal part of the day, like the rest of the better habits, rather than a devastating blow.
  • Amandajeffcoat2020
    Amandajeffcoat2020 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I care...kinda. More so about measurements for me
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    luvmakidz wrote: »
    I'm afraid it's important to me. I know some people just see how their clothes fit, but I need to see the scale moving to stay motivated.

Isn't that going to make maintenance difficult?
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh every day and it wasn't very often that the scale went up as long as I was tracking religiously. However, seeing a .1 loss or no loss for a couple days was annoying. I started weighing in once a week instead so when there is a loss it is more than a piddly .1 or .2lbs.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    It was super important in the beginning, then I didn't care so much, as I was losing and happy. Now I am approaching maintenance and I find myself caring more again. I think it's because I've set a maintenance range for myself of +/-5 pounds. I'm determined to get to the bottom of the range before I begin maintaining. Today I hit the top of the range (yay!!). So I'm definitely thinking all numbers right now. I am hoping, and determined, that it won't matter as much once I settle in to maintenance and figure out my calories. Until then, I am afraid it's gonna be a big focus.
  • Healthyhunny231567
    Healthyhunny231567 Posts: 2,036 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I obsess over the number on the scale & get super down when it doesn't say what I want but I've been trying to remember not to focus only on the scale...my clothes fit better & I look healthier & that's what matters