Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Low Carb Plateau

aylerz
aylerz Posts: 27 Member
I've been having great success with a combination of low carb and intermittent fasting, but I have now hit a plateau. Currently stay at or below 20 carbs, eating about 1300-1400 (MFP recommended calories are 1600) calories, and fasting 16/8.

Has anyone else run into this? What are your suggestions to break through? I've read tons of stuff that suggests upping calories, stopping the fasting for a few days, changing my macros, going off plan for 24 hours entirely, and so on and so forth.

Anyone have real-world tested advice?

Replies

• kelly_stevens81
    kelly_stevens81 Posts: 79 Member
    How long have you been plateaued? The best advice may be to stay on track for a week or two and see if it stays on a plateau or if you start losing. There are a number of reasons for plateauing water retention, TOM, muscle gain, or just hitting a plateau.
  • aylerz
    How long have you been plateaued? The best advice may be to stay on track for a week or two and see if it stays on a plateau or if you start losing. There are a number of reasons for plateauing water retention, TOM, muscle gain, or just hitting a plateau.

In plateau for a week now. The strange thing is that I weigh on Mondays and take measurements on Wednesdays, and typically, even if I don't have a weight loss I will have a loss of inches (even if only 1/2" or 1/4"). Now, I'm stuck at the same weight and my measurements have gone UP by roughly 1/2" - 1" all over.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    aylerz wrote: »

In plateau for a week now. The strange thing is that I weigh on Mondays and take measurements on Wednesdays, and typically, even if I don't have a weight loss I will have a loss of inches (even if only 1/2" or 1/4"). Now, I'm stuck at the same weight and my measurements have gone UP by roughly 1/2" - 1" all over.

It's only been a week. My advice would be to stay the course for at least 3 weeks before you make changes.

You might find one of these interesting:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10196160/scale-stress-syndrome/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634529/why-did-the-number-on-the-scale-go-up-this-week-heres-why/p1
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I agree that one week is not really a plateau. Weight loss is not linear. If you are eating at a deficit you will lose fat. This is probably just a blip for water weight. Just keep going.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    How long have you been on this plan?
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Depending on how long you've been following a low carb diet, you can look in to implementing "carb ups". But like others have said, 1 week is not a true plateau. I'd try to stick it out for another 2 weeks.
  • aylerz
    NovusDies wrote: »
    How long have you been on this plan?

Low carb since Jan., intermittent fasting since April 1.

---

Thanks all! I am going to stick it out for another week or two and if I am still stuck I am planning to adjust my macros to up the fat.