Gym reviews that focus on cleanliness. WTH?

Options

Replies

• PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My gym is a cesspool, I bring my own cleaning wipes to clean the bathroom before I use it, but its my second favorite place (1st of course is home). As a powerlifter, equipment is more important, not to mention its only $200/year.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    It's a factor that can not always be controlled. All it takes is a few lazy slob humans who can't seem to put back weights or do SIMPLE things like throw a used towel in a bin, wipe down a sweaty machine, put things back, etc....these are the type of people who think gym staff is there to wipe his/her *kitten* & do not understand the gym environment in general.

I personally think more gym owners should give these type of people warnings & just ban them at some point but you know, money and all turns them into cowards...
    Equipment, maintenance, gym hours >> cleanliness mainly because of the 2nd law of thermodynamics and lazy members
  • NicoleHaki
    NicoleHaki Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I keep coming across gym reviews online that start out with "It's so clean!" or somesuch rot. Very often, that's the primary focus of these reviews, with little commentary on the equipment or the environment.

Now, I'm not suggesting that cleanliness is unimportant. You certainly wouldn't want to work out somewhere that's a health hazard. Maybe it's just me though, but I find it odd that cleanliness is the main focus of so many of these reviews.

Frankly, I can deal with a gym that's less than pristine clean, as long as it has the right kind of equipment and allows me to perform effective exercises. Heck, if you're working hard outdoors, you're likely to get a bit dirty, so dealing with a little bit of dust inside a gym isn't a big deal as far as I'm concerned.

I disagree - clean is key in a gym for me. I have a lot of indoor allergies, so I can't imagine going to a gym with dust (totally different from working out outside which I wouldn't view as unclean). I also shower at the gym every day which I would 100% not do if the showers weren't pristine (I go to Equinox). I actually can't believe gym reviews would focus on the equipment - personally, I prefer group fitness classes and basic equipment (dumbells, bosu balls, kettlebells, yoga mats etc.).
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think cleanliness is very desirable in a gym, mine at least is a busy place! One day there wasn’t a scrap of toilet paper in the ladies bathroom and there was only one female employee around. How well things like that are kept up on makes a difference and if it’s a reputable gym having decent equipment should be a given.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »
    ... if it’s a reputable gym having decent equipment should be a given.
    You'd be surprised. I've seen a lot of big name gyms, including some national franchises, that lack basic equipment such as squat racks and proper bench press stations. Many of them only have extremely light weights. The cheapest gym in my city has barbells that only go up to 80 lbs or so, which is pretty much an insult for any man in decent shape.

Heck, I once took advantage of a Groupon deal for some boot camp classes, only to find out that their heaviest kettlebell only weighed 20lbs.

Besides, if it's not a big-name gym, then how do you know that it's reputable apart from these reviews? And if the reviews focus mainly on how sparkling clean the place is, then that doesn't tell you much about the amenities, does it?

You can also call the gym and ask. Not sure all the people who do online reviews are aware of your very specific needs and criteria.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I joined a brand new gym that had all the right stuff...power cages, battle ropes, etc. I was happy for two weeks until I had to pee. I went into the bathroom and it was trashed. I mean, literally *kitten* all over the place. Keep in mind, I go at 5 am when the gym first opens, so it had been like that all night. I left and got all my money back. So, yeah, obviously I will look at a gym for its equipment, but I'll read reviews regarding cleanliness. Why do I need a review to tell me about the equipment? I have eyes.

I think the answer is obvious. If you haven't been to the gym before, then you might not know what kind of equipment they have. And even after you join, you might not yet know how well-maintained it is, or whether the gym has any ridiculous rules about the equipment usage.

Personally, I know that I don't want to have to join a gym -- and preferably, not even visit -- just to find out that the equipment is inadequate.

Why would you want to join a place you've never been to? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

I'm completely puzzled by your question.

Here's how things work in the real world. You visit a gym, then you decide if it appears to be worth joining. If it is, you sign up and hope that you won't be disappointed later.

Reading the reviews can help with this decision-making process. One might decide that there's no point in visiting the place if it doesn't have squat racks, for example. Or if its equipment is frequently under repair. One can also learn about problems that might not be evident during the first few visits -- problems with the staff responsiveness, for example.

You say that you have eyes and can therefore determine what kind of equipment is available. Good for you. However, other people see the value in knowing as much as they can ahead of time, so that they don't have to waste time with a visit that would doubtlessly be futile. This really isn't a difficult concept to grasp.

Sorry, I haz the dumbz, I guess.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »
    ... if it’s a reputable gym having decent equipment should be a given.
    You'd be surprised. I've seen a lot of big name gyms, including some national franchises, that lack basic equipment such as squat racks and proper bench press stations. Many of them only have extremely light weights. The cheapest gym in my city has barbells that only go up to 80 lbs or so, which is pretty much an insult for any man in decent shape.

Heck, I once took advantage of a Groupon deal for some boot camp classes, only to find out that their heaviest kettlebell only weighed 20lbs.

Besides, if it's not a big-name gym, then how do you know that it's reputable apart from these reviews? And if the reviews focus mainly on how sparkling clean the place is, then that doesn't tell you much about the amenities, does it?

You can also call the gym and ask. Not sure all the people who do online reviews are aware of your very specific needs and criteria.

You could, and they aren't. But so what? Nobody is suggesting that one should rely solely on the reviews to the exclusion of everything else.

Reviews can be undeniably helpful. Do you honestly think that the gym staff will say, "Oh, yeah. We seldom bother to repair our equipment, and our class instructors kinda suck"? The more information you can get from these reviews, the better.

Seriously, I think that the objections you're raising are kinda strange.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I get where the OP is coming from; the lack of focus on things that really matter because just about any commercial gym is going to be considered not clean because it is subjective for the most part (someone's version of clean may be someone else's version of not clean). Also, there is bias in being negative in online reviews (people intentionally take their time out to bring others down).

These reviews suck for the most part and are written by hateful Whiney know nothings who expect have unrealistic expectations
    Reviews with both positive and negative feedback are often more helpful (nothing is perfect)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I get where the OP is coming from; the lack of focus on things that really matter because just about any commercial gym is going to be considered not clean because it is subjective for the most part (someone's version of clean may be someone else's version of not clean). Also, there is bias in being negative in online reviews (people intentionally take their time out to bring others down).

These reviews suck for the most part and are written by hateful Whiney know nothings who expect have unrealistic expectations
    Reviews with both positive and negative feedback are often more helpful (nothing is perfect)

Including our current system of internet reviews. ;)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Why do I need a review to tell me about the equipment? I have eyes.

well, idk about you, but i read reviews to save me having to make a trip down there and use those eyes for myself.

to the original question: i guess i'm more with the op. not that my equipment needs are terribly specialized, but really visual aesthetics are pretty low on my priority list.

i think it is about that more than bacteria counts? i mean, bottom line is without a bag of cotton swabs and a microscope slips, you just do not know what is 'clean' and what's not. all you're going to know is what looks clean; and so i assume that's what the reviews mentioned by the op were probably talking about.'looks clean' is not the same thing as 'is clean', believe me. i caught a hideous case of athlete's foot in one of the prettiest spaces at one of the larniest corporations i've ever worked for.

so yeah, not counting filth it doesn't matter to me much either. and to be honest, when i was looking around for a personal trainer and a private gym of my own, it was a massive relief when my trainer said something about how his space was very basic and very 'working class'. i could tell between the lines that he was sort of worried about me copping the middle-class icks when i caught sight of it, but i was relieved. i don't feel all that comfortable in places that give me the martha stewarts.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    a clean gym is a good gym. they care about the locations, the equipment, avoiding bacteria.
    i go into the gym to check out the equipment. clean reviews gets me to go look

a chain review smelled like mildew and sweat and the treadmill tracks were loose. i wish a review said that and i didn't waste my time
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I dunno, it all just kinda seems like a 'd' measuring contest to see who's the most "hardcore" about their gym preferences.

I've worked out in some pretty dark, dingy, dungeon-y gyms over the years. I've also worked out in some clean, bright and shiny big box gyms. Sure, if they don't have the equipment I want for my workouts they're no good to me, but if I walk into a gym and see trash lying around on the floor, benches crusted with human grime, equipment strewn around everywhere and layers of dust all over everything, I'm gonna be out the door and checking my alternative choices.

I don't need a gym that passes the "white glove" inspection, but I'm not working out in some nasty slob pit either. Having the right equipment is requirement #1 (which is one of many reasons I'll never belong to a Planet Fitness), but at least some reasonable degree of cleanliness is right up there on my list too.

This.

Yes, I need the basics at my gym (for me, that's a decent selection of treadmills for my "OMG, no, it's raining/too hot/too cold" can't-run-outside days, and a pool -- I have two bars, weight plates, dumbbells and a bench at home), but if the locker room and the pool area aren't *clean* -- I'm not talking white glove, but at least a surface appearance of clean -- and at least well ventilated/no mold/no mildew/etc., I'm not going to get a good workout because my brain is going to go to "OMG this place is awful and how is this place this poorly maintained."

I don't need to give my money to some place that isn't going to at least put on the facade of pretending to care about maintenance. Because if you can't keep things clean, how do I know that you're maintaining the equipment?
  • spartan_d
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Once again though, if it's truly filthy -- has trash everywhere, for example, or the crusted grime that @AnvilHead mentioned -- then that's definitely a problem. Nobody's contesting that. And having mold and mildew is definitely a issue as well.

Making immaculate cleanliness the top priority, though? The number one thing that one values in a gym, even above having enough equipment for an effective workout? That's what I and some of the others here find strange.

EDITED TO ADD: I agree with @AnvilHead and his assessment that it shouldn't be the top priority, but that some reasonable degree of cleanliness is most certainly important.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    Funny, I just recently reviewed my gym, and was reading some of the other reviews while I was at it.

When I was looking for a gym, I read a number of reviews - cleanliness was mentioned plenty, but usually if the place was gross. If they are getting a lot of reviews like that, then I'm guessing there's a good chance it IS gross. While that's not my #1 concern at a gym, it is a concern as people are sweating all over everything, and if it's not cleaned, well, yuck.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    Funny, I just recently reviewed my gym, and was reading some of the other reviews while I was at it.

When I was looking for a gym, I read a number of reviews - cleanliness was mentioned plenty, but usually if the place was gross. If they are getting a lot of reviews like that, then I'm guessing there's a good chance it IS gross. While that's not my #1 concern at a gym, it is a concern as people are sweating all over everything, and if it's not cleaned, well, yuck.
    Yeah, that's definitely a lot more reasonable. If it's utterly gross, mentioning that right off the bat makes perfect sense.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I take cleanliness for granted - our local paper did a special investigation where they went around to all the gyms and wiped equipment, floors, and other surfaces and cultured it, and they found surprisingly little bacteria anywhere, because all the places constantly disinfect. To me cleanliness should be a given, a gym review focusing on cleanliness is like a restaurant review focusing on the food not being spoiled. I just naturally assume the food isn't spoiled at a place which is open and calls itself a restaurant, I want to know how the food tastes.

When reading reviews of gyms I am most interested in the things which are not obvious before you join, such as whether there are waits for equipment, whether the staff is helpful when needed, and if there are weird problems like them refusing to cancel and meet their agreements.