Rest between Sets

Options
How much time should I rest between each set of total of 3 set of db shoulders press?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Are you following a structured program? If so, the program or your trainer should tell you how long to rest.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Eddie2088 wrote: »
    How much time should I rest between each set of total of 3 set of db shoulders press?

Somewhere between 15 seconds and 5 minutes, depending on your programming, intensity and recovery ability.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    What is your training goal?
    Describing your particular goals and overall program would help put things into context - these three sets could be the only thing you are doing or just one part of a split routine or a full body routine.....

Example.
    I train for strength primarily so my rest periods are 2 - 3 minutes for heavy sets, but I do a lot more than 3 sets....
  • Eddie2088
    Eddie2088 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Describing your particular goals and overall program would help put things into context - these three sets could be the only thing you are doing or just one part of a split routine or a full body routine.....

Example.
    I train for strength primarily so my rest periods are 2 - 3 minutes for heavy sets, but I do a lot more than 3 sets....

I am kinda of beginner skinny guy want to gain muscle mass
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Somewhere between 15 seconds and 5 minutes, depending on your programming, intensity and recovery ability.

Agreed. There isn't really a hard and fast number. Rest as long as you need to such that you feel good to complete the next set. It can be pretty personal based on a number of factors, but if you're needing more than 3 or 4 minutes regularly, I'd just double check that you're working with the correct weight and doing the correct lifts based on your ability.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Example.

I am kinda of beginner skinny guy want to gain muscle mass

I'd start with 2 minutes, if you need a nice round number as a recommendation.
  • TriPaulCantRun
    TriPaulCantRun Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Personally I do this: "Rest as long as you need to such that you feel good to complete the next set."

Some days I feel better and don't need very long rests, other days when I'm not really feeling it I take a little longer.

If you can easily monitor your heart rate, that is often a good indicator of your recovery.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Personally I do this: "Rest as long as you need to such that you feel good to complete the next set."

Some days I feel better and don't need very long rests, other days when I'm not really feeling it I take a little longer.

If you can easily monitor your heart rate, that is often a good indicator of your recovery.

This! Some days my rest periods are longer than other days, depends on how I feel. I go based on perceived effort as well as using a wrist-based heart rate monitor. I also have a workout partner/spotter, so my rest is while he's completing his set, and vice-versa. When I first started lifting, some advice I got was to rest for 2-3 times as long as it took you to complete the set. That may be helpful.

Good luck in your journey! Weight-training can be addictive :)