New To Calorie Counting

Options
My name is Jess, I just turned 31, and I am significantly overweight. I'm not married, no kids, just one pup at home. I need to lose at least 150. I'm not sure how much exactly but that's what I'm starting with. Recent lab work shows that I'm pre-diabetic, so it has scared me into making some changes.

I just started at a non-surgical weight loss clinic through IU Health, and the physician put me on a 1500 calorie diet initially, to be further hammered out tomorrow when I meet with the dietician. They of course weighed me at the clinic, but I stick to my numbers at home where I can weigh without clothes and shoes on. I weighed in for myself last Sunday and today I weighed and saw that I have lost 9.4 pounds!

I'm really encouraged and motivated to do this. I know I won't be able to expect that dramatic of a weight loss every week, especially as time goes on, but it sure is a boost to me today. It's been a hard week. I was used to eating about 3000 calories. I've been hungry a lot, especially the first few days but I have been enjoying learning new recipes and cooking at home all week instead of eating out. I'm drinking a lot more water and un-sweet tea instead of all the sodas I was drinking and I feel like that is helping me feel better as well.

Really I'm just looking for some friends to help encourage me on my way, and that I can help encourage in return. I know I have a long journey ahead and if I get too bogged down by numbers I know I will struggle. Just trying to take it one day, one calorie at a time. ANY recipe or meal prep ideas are welcome!

Replies

• jimter91
    jimter91 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Jess, I too am new to this site. My very smart niece set it up for me and is helping me navigate. But I found you all by myself! (not bad for an old lady) Let me share one idea she gave me the other night that is really spot on. Forget the long term goal. That goal is a very high and frightening number. My high number goal was 90lbs. I am 5 feet tall so 130 is where I want be. You are the first person I am telling this to but I am 225. (My husband doesn't even know my true weight) 90 lbs seems like SO MUCH WEIGHT TO LOSE. My niece told me to set SMALL goals, go 10 at a time. And Celebrate each and every goal! Buy yourself some flowers, take yourself to the movies, buy that new pair of shoes you saw at the store. The little goals keep you more motivated and when you are done with 10, you set the next 10 in motion. If you stick to that 10 lb goal idea you get TO CELEBRATE 15 TIMES!! And you will deserve every celebration!!!

If you need someone to encourage, talk, or cry with, add me and we can help each other out. We deserve to live great and healthy lives!

Terry
  • JennG122
    JennG122 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Jess! It's so great that you wanted to make a change. It's never too late to decide to become a healthier you. I know one thing that has helped me is meal prepping EVERYTHING. I take a few hours Sunday that way during the week my food is ready and I don't have to wait for anything to cook. This just helps the unnecessary snaking for me. I will add you as a friend so we can help each other stay motivated! :smile:
  • jenniferkayebolton
    jenniferkayebolton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Jess! Congratulations on getting started on your goal! I agree with both ladies above, set small goals and meal prep. If you wait until you're hungry, thats when it is so easy to get off track. Are you counting macros or just focusing on calories? I would also encourage you to take pics of yourself. Sometimes, even when my scale isn't moving, I look at pictures and can "see" my progress. Best of luck to you! You've got this!
  • jessnorcross9746
    jessnorcross9746 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I am encouraged. I meet with the dietician tomorrow and I assume we will talk some about macros, but this week was just strictly calories.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    JennG122 wrote: »
    Hi Jess! It's so great that you wanted to make a change. It's never too late to decide to become a healthier you. I know one thing that has helped me is meal prepping EVERYTHING. I take a few hours Sunday that way during the week my food is ready and I don't have to wait for anything to cook. This just helps the unnecessary snaking for me. I will add you as a friend so we can help each other stay motivated! :smile:

I too take a few hours on the weekend to prep for the up coming week. I end up with great meals already portioned out and have items in the fridge to 'grab' from (cut up veggies/portioned out nuts/hard boiled eggs/overnight oatmeal/quinoa, etc.,)

Spices/lemons/vinegars, etc., are also a great thing to 'vamp' up meals without calories.

Hope it is going well for you these days:)

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend :) 5'4" And originally started at 229. Lost 50 then gained 40 back over the last 3 years or so. Diary is open and I average 1500-1600 per day.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    By the way, number one piece of advice: get a digital food scale and use it for everything!
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    By the way, number one piece of advice: get a digital food scale and use it for everything!

Absolutely this! Once you start logging your meals don't rely on measuring cups/spoons, etc., very deceiving - a scale is a must. If you do get one, I suggest making sure it measures 'between' grams so that it is really precise.