Somebody lectured me about Splenda today

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »
    Maybe tell people to mind their own business? I don't know why people constantly feel the need to police other people's lives, when their lives are usually sh#t.

If they have to be miserable, everyone else should be too?
  • mph323
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I have quick comebacks and it is not always a blessing as I can be very sardonic.

Sometimes the occasion just begs for the sardonic :)
  • mph323
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    You should have said “oh yes, I’ve heard that before, and I have some great info about it” and then pulled up the “why aspartame isn’t scary” thread on your phone...

OMG this is perfect!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I had a shopper at Costco tell me that the Splenda in my cart would tear me up inside. WTF! What does that even mean? Every time I purchase Splenda I hope I see her again. The yellow packet is my fav!

That might have something to do with the theory that you can kill ants using Splenda because something about the shape of the granules literally "tears them apart". Supposedly.

I have nothing to back up this claim, because I couldn't find the site I read that on a few months ago... ;)

With regard to the OP, I can't fathom confronting a stranger about their food choices! I might think uncomplimentary thoughts about their shopping cart or whatever, but I would never comment. And I'd be in the same camp as some of you if someone did it to me - standing in surprised silence trying to think of a good comeback!
  • mph323
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I’ve had that happen a few times. What I said was, ‘ yeah, I’ve heard that too in the media and I’ve read about it on blogs. But, then I found the actual peer reviewed research and learned that the media is wrong. There are no facts or basis that it’s bad.” Shuts them down.

I use that for pretty much everything...not just Splenda. But, carbs are bad, sugar is bad, eggs are bad, fat makes you fat, lifting makes women bulky...like the research thing works on all those topics.

That's actually a really good generic answer for intrusive comments.
  • mph323
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    I had a shopper at Costco tell me that the Splenda in my cart would tear me up inside. WTF! What does that even mean? Every time I purchase Splenda I hope I see her again. The yellow packet is my fav!

That might have something to do with the theory that you can kill ants using Splenda because something about the shape of the granules literally "tears them apart". Supposedly.

I have nothing to back up this claim, because I couldn't find the site I read that on a few months ago... ;)

With regard to the OP, I can't fathom confronting a stranger about their food choices! I might think uncomplimentary thoughts about their shopping cart or whatever, but I would never comment. And I'd be in the same camp as some of you if someone did it to me - standing in surprised silence trying to think of a good comeback!

Now I have to find a bunch of ants and experiment...
  • mph323
    Options
    I would have grabbed a bunch of packets and said “to go for later”

She probably would have followed me out to my car trying to grab them away.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    ... how someone ordered a triple bacon cheeseburger with a diet coke (Me. It was me. I ordered it.)

You are officially my hero. I love Diet Coke. My BF in high school always had plenty of Diet Cokes at her place, and I was always over there, so I just grew to love the taste. The way I look at things is, if you're not drinking water or milk, whatever it is is probably bad for you. There's a certain beauty in your current go-to response.