Cycling, bikes, indoor, outdoor etc.

Options
Cycling seems to be under discussed on MFP, I thought Id create a thread where anyone who is interested in cycling can post anything cycling related.

Over the last couple of years Ive been mainly strength training, took up cycling late last year after an operation prevented me from lifting for a couple of months. Loved being back on the bike after a very long time.

My focus has completely changed to improving my cycling rather than lifting. I still lift as i want to retain muscle. However I'm finding that I'm losing weight without even trying, not that i mind as it is easier going up hills the leaner you are.

https://www.bicycling.com/training/a20023480/cycling-best-way-lose-weight/

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Check out the existing thread in the Challenges forum. :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/41921947#Comment_41921947

Edit: Ah, you did already. :)
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    There's also a group...
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/344-bicycling-road-and-mountain

While it doesn't get much traffic, there are some decent conversations.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    since taking it up, by bank ballance has reduced ... the amount of space in my garage has reduced (n+1) ...

We can all relate.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    since taking it up, by bank ballance has reduced ... the amount of space in my garage has reduced (n+1) ...

We can all relate.

Yep.
  • AgileK9
    AgileK9 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

We can all relate.

Yep, me too! I just got into it last year and have purchased 3 new bikes in that time. My husband thinks I've lost my mind.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy my road bike. It's easy on the knees compared to running, and I can basically work as hard as I want on any given ride. Plus I like getting out in the country. Traffic is not much of an issue for me - I live in a rural area. I'm lucky in that regard.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    ha ha ha ..... just posted that to everyone at work ! ... and my wife
  • AgileK9
    edited May 2018
    Options
    So it's 7 bikes for happiness....well I better get on that I only have 3 :D

eta...actually I have 4, I didn't count my old hardtail that I never ride.
  • awinner_au
    awinner_au Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I wish it could help me lose weight ... I mostly cycle for commuting, but also throw in Mountain biking in to the mix, the odd road cycle and indoor training (Zwift / Fulgaz) on alternate days of the week

since taking it up, by bank ballance has reduced ... the amount of space in my garage has reduced (n+1) ... but it had no effect on my weight .... that said though I am scared if I stop I will put on weight !

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/article/izn20180124-Eating-on-the-bike-Struggling-with-Cycling-Weight-Loss-0

Not that you may be doing any of that. I go on group rides and enjoy the social aspect of the ride, we always finish at a café for coffee. Just need to keep the food in check if you are looking to lose weight.
  • ap1972
    ap1972 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    AgileK9 wrote: »
    So it's 7 bikes for happiness....well I better get on that I only have 3 :D

eta...actually I have 4, I didn't count my old hardtail that I never ride.

My new girlfriend's boy has 13 :lol:

He hadn't heard of n+1....... She wasn't impressed I made him aware of it :lol:
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have 4 bikes...they all cost me a fortune. And I NEED a gravel bike. Poverty vs desire for 5th bike = poverty

Off to a three day race. Lots of pain today. And Saturday. And Sunday. Hopefully I can give some of what I get.

John
  • AgileK9
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Does anyone have suggestions for securing bikes in a garage? Last year I put my mountain bike in my basement but this year with my 3 high dollar bikes and my son's pricey mountain bike, I just don't have the room. My husband is infamous for leaving the garage door open and we've had an old bike stolen several years ago.

I'd like to figure out a way to store them so I can get to them easily but keep them at least secure enough for a thief to reconsider. I have a full single car bay in my garage I can work with.

eta...preferably expandable for n+1 :D

TIA
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    AgileK9 wrote: »
    Does anyone have suggestions for securing bikes in a garage? Last year I put my mountain bike in my basement but this year with my 3 high dollar bikes and my son's pricey mountain bike, I just don't have the room. My husband is infamous for leaving the garage door open and we've had an old bike stolen several years ago.

I'd like to figure out a way to store them so I can get to them easily but keep them at least secure enough for a thief to reconsider. I have a full single car bay in my garage I can work with.

eta...preferably expandable for n+1 :D

TIA

I would suggest trading in the husband for one that can close the door...

But if that is not feasible, you could probably simply attach a bar to the wall and lock up like you would at a rack. Could even just go above hooks if you have those just so you have something to secure a lock to.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I use my Peloton at home. Best investment so far.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Had a lovely day cycling in the Surrey Hills A.O.N.B. today.

The iconic but relatively easy Box Hill with great views from Zig Zag Road.
    The half hour climb up wannabe mountain Leith Hill (no sorry, building a tower on the top doesn't qualify a hill as a mountain).
    The evil Whitedown Lane with it's long 18% gradient that takes you to the ridge of the North Downs (The Downs are perversely ups not downs of course). #18 of the top 100 UK climbs apparently.
    Lovely drag up Green Dene through woodland full of bluebells.

Here's a video of Whitedown Lane which shows the typical nature of the North Downs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk-_fI6sB30
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    @sijomial - what app/utility is that that overlays the grade, speed, etc over the video?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @sijomial - what app/utility is that that overlays the grade, speed, etc over the video?

@jjpptt2
    No idea I'm afraid, not my video. The soundtrack would have been gasping for air and swearing if it had been me!!
    :smiley:
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have one bike, it's 37 years old, purchased when I was 17 with money from a K-Mart job. It's been overhauled once or several times depending on what I did to keep it operating. Anyway, it's got 18 gears and I don't have any mountains. I use it for exercise on weekends by putting it in the highest gear and trying to go as fast as I can, which is a surprisingly lot of effort even on these mostly flat streets.