full cream milk vs skim? CICO users weigh in on this?

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't often drink milk but use it in cooking. I usually get whole milk.
    My very thin dd drinks the milk and needs the calories. I am not going to buy 2 different kinds of milk for the amount I occasionally use in cooking.
    There are options between skim milk and whole milk though. If your consumption is a small amount it probably doesn't make too much difference what you choose. If it is larger you might want a lower calorie option.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I usually go for skim milk because milk or cream don't fill me up at all anyway.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I grew up with 2% and still use that. I like the taste and mouthfeel best and find it filling.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I only like whole milk, I don't see the point of other milks, if I don't want the calories I could just not have the milk.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I use the in between version - semi skimmed / 2% fat but its a matter of personal preference. Drink whichever one you prefer, you'll save some calories using the skimmed version, but fat does help with satiety/flavour.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    candistyx wrote: »
    I only like whole milk, I don't see the point of other milks, if I don't want the calories I could just not have the milk.

Well, the point for me is that it has less calories - and I like it.

So I use skim milk in my coffee,on my breakfast cereal, in any cooking that uses milk, and when I occasionally drink milk by itself.

I could ' just not have the milk' - but I don't like black coffee or dry cereal, or foods like mashed potatoes made without milk.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I use some whipping cream in my coffee on most days, along with some protein powder. It's higher in calories, and satiating, so I tend not to eat again until the early afternoon.

I did it while losing weight. My CI<CO.

Keto is not something to believe in. It's a diet used to treat some health issues, or as a personal preference. Sort of like the gluten free diet for celiacs or those who eat a Pritkin style diet.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Keto is not something to believe in. It's a diet used to treat some health issues, or as a personal preference. Sort of like the gluten free diet for celiacs or those who eat a Pritkin style diet.

You seem like a smart person why did you leave fear off your list of why people choose this diet or that? Fear of staying heavy. Fear of needing something BIG to lose weight. You know. The thing that has been driving the diet industry for year and years.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I prefer whole but get skim bc of the calories.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Thanks @JeromeBarry1 I am actually going to start making my own yoghurt when I return home. milk really cheap in aus but yoghurt not so much - go figure? :)
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    thanks all :)
  • DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I eat full fat and "non-fat" plain yogurt (without added sugars), I would rather go for full fat because it keeps me fuller longer.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Full cream for me. I make it fit.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

You seem like a smart person why did you leave fear off your list of why people choose this diet or that? Fear of staying heavy. Fear of needing something BIG to lose weight. You know. The thing that has been driving the diet industry for year and years.

As you said, that drives the entire diet industry.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    As you said, that drives the entire diet industry.

So a percentage of Ketoers have chosen out of fear and not so much personal preference. I would hope you would agree that we should discourage anyone from choosing any diet plan that limits food choices unless they absolutely need it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I use 2% milk as it is my SO's preference to drink, I only use it in coffee.

If we have cream in for something else I use that. I don't go through enough in a week to make it worth buying- too many instances of pouring spoilt cream in my coffee ;)

Both yogurt and cottage cheese I get in the 0-5% range. I love the full fat but, as I use either of these for my lunch protein source, I find 25-30g of protein plus full fat is too filling. (As a desert I may choose a lower protein so I can have the full fat.)

Cheers, h.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    2% for me, skim and 1% taste watery to me, and I don't enjoy full fat enough for it to be worth the calories. 2% froths pretty well too. Non fat sour cream as well.

I do eat full fat cream cheese. Because to me the low fat tastes like chalk. It's a matter of personal taste, I think. Make cuts on foods you don't care about to save calories for those which make a big difference to you.
  • hungrywombat
    hungrywombat Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use the extra-fatty kaffeemilch you can get here in Austria (never seen it outside of Germany or Austria) because it makes my morning cup of tea extra delicious...but since I use 20ml in a cup of tea once (maybe twice) a day, and don't tend to eat anything solid until 10:30 or 11am, I can happily incorporate the calories. It's worth it for the taste.

Same with full-fat Greek yoghurt - for me, the difference in taste and texture makes a huge difference to my enjoyment. Since it's carefully weighed out and factored in to both my calories and macros for the day, it's worth it for me.