Flag football

Options
heylance
heylance Posts: 32 Member
Today marks the second day after our first flag football game of the year, and I feel like a crippled old man....

The DOMS has hit hard and apparently the cardio I've been doing for the past month to prepare myself for game day was all for nothing as I feel like I've been hit by a car, thrown onto train tracks, and then hit by a train. The bottoms of my feet, thighs, groin, and lower back are all screaming at me.

It was a great time though and I'm looking forward to our next game on Tuesday :)

I am wondering if anyone else has had this same experience and has insight on if this is how I will be feeling every Wednesday and Thursday for the next 8 weeks? Or if, like starting a new lifting program, the DOMS chills out after the first couple weeks and I can return to being the 26 year old, mildly overweight, stallion that I am :D

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Soreness and DOMS are part of the recipe if your fitness is low for whatever activity.

Just being flag football, you'll adapt rather quickly.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Cardio and muscle development are completely different.

If you'll be playing two times a week, then you'll probably stop feeling sore afterwards in two weeks or so. If only one time per week, you'll probably feel sore the day after for three to four weeks.

Not a big deal, just a reminder that getting older sucks.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    26 wow, to be that again.pain is pleasure. Wait till 40 Years old
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    26 wow, to be that again.pain is pleasure. Wait till 40 Years old

I just turned an ankle just thinking about playing flag football.
  • heylance
    heylance Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Week 2 update: Pulled my groin in the warmups before the game lmao the struggle is real
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    heylance wrote: »
    Week 2 update: Pulled my groin in the warmups before the game lmao the struggle is real

Don't feel too bad. My husband almost broke both wrists playing capture the flag with our cub scout pack a few weeks ago, lol. He tore his hands up on gravel and we had to get the big first aid kit out :D
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    It's the "specificity of exercise" principle in action. Unless your cardio leading up to the flag football season involved similar movements (stop and go, lateral movements, explosive sprints/jumps, twisting at the waist, etc.), you're using different muscles and they'll take time to adapt. Like DX2JX2 said, probably a couple weeks of DOMS as you adapt.