Wait.What? You even weigh THAT?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    If you're losing weight fine, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had bad experiences with packaged items weighing 20% more than what the package says though (sometimes it adds up to 100 calories!).

Yogurt is always less than what the package says, so I don't bother. Granola bars can be easily 3-4g more. I don't really use that much packaged food that 20 calories here and there is a big deal, but it adds up.

For ice cream, volume just doesn't work and I always weigh it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    JSYK, you have to weigh everything until you learn though. If it is 1 calorie or more you need to weigh it. The small stuff adds up and you need to figure out your system not rely on the systems of people posting here. I have a lot more calories to play around with than most people. There will come a day when I am down to the 250 deficit mark I will have to be super careful too but that day is not here yet.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,725 Member
    I wasn't weighing my PB but i will now. I just put it into a Tablespoon and used a knife to scrape the top off to make it " even" but apparently a big no no...lol

And then lick the knife clean. :)

I would weigh cereal too. Using a measuring cup gets you all kinds of funky serving sizes depending on the cereal.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member

really, i weigh most things. the list of what i dont is far shorter than what i DO lol
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,099 Member
    edited May 2018
    When I started weighing food a couple years ago, I weighed every thing. Now, I have noticed I am really good at judging non calorically dense food, such as broccoli and greens. I actually weighed out 20 serving a of broccoli the other day, ptr it in a bag, and put it in containers for prep and did not measure anything. Came out with 19 servings just by using my eyes and hands as an estimate.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I weigh a lot of my foods, but not prepackaged. When I was losing the bulk of the weight, I had a high enough deficit that little discrepancies in packaged foods or stuff prepared by someone else and/or served family style that I just ballparked worked out close enough to even I guess. So far in maintenance (about 6 or 7 weeks), I still do the same - weigh as much as I can. In the morning, I weigh 8 oz of yogurt and mix in exactly 24g of PB2. I weigh cereal to the gram to match the serving size on the box and I weigh apples or bananas. I usually weigh some chicken to take for lunch. I have stayed in a pretty tight window the last few weeks; maybe a 3 pound variance. I think accuracy has a lot to do with that.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Don't weigh a thing.
    Managed to lose 1/2 of my body weight from 3/2012 to 3/2013. As it happens to over 80% of us, managed to gain back 60 and am in the process of getting back to where I was 5 years ago. Still not weighing, still managing to lose without weighing my food. I am pretty good at measuring and eyeballing. So far it works for me. I keep well within my calorie budget. Will not be so strict that I feel I have to weigh everything. If it comes to the point that I am not losing, and I am not at my goal weight I may rethink this. Not for everyone, I realize, but works for me.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

@alicedark

I don't think I said that. The OP has already chosen the weighing option so I was saying initially if you are going to do it to weigh everything before deciding what things like salad items you may want to eyeball. More to the point, I don't think it is wise to just copy what people are doing in this thread and their habits/systems before learning if it will work for them.

I am a huge advocate of individualized dieting. I meant only to suggest an initial period of education not a long-tem necessity unless the OP needs it.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    I honestly don't do it unless I'm not losing
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I weigh, but not every time. Basically I weigh a new packaged food once to find out if it's consistent with the stated size on the package. Some are, some are very far off - for example my fancy bread weighs twice as much per slice as the package says.

Other things I weigh until I learn what a serving looks like, then every once in a while for calorie dense foods like peanut butter to be sure my estimate isn't creeping upward. My trick with peanut butter is to get it out of the jar using a teaspoon - even a level tablespoon weighs more than the supposed serving size, but a heaping teaspoon is about right.

Low calorie items like sticks of celery and cherry tomatoes, I don't weigh.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    The only thing I weigh consistently is nuts, when I’m prepping snack packs. Currently I don’t weigh other items, as I just don’t have the time and energy, and I just eyeball things based on ”I ate a third of that container” kind of reasoning. I don’t eat peanut butter, which most people in this thread apparently enjoy, so that’s not a weighing issue for me. If there’s a larger container of something but I eat all of it over the course of several days, I make sure my logging adds up to one full container.

For veggies, I completely eyeball, or use the general ”tomato, one whole” types of logging items. I might get back to weighing more food items and tightening my grip on my diet when my schedule winds down in a few weeks.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2018
    I always weigh new packaged foods a few times. Some brands are pretty darn consistent (my tuna, for example, weighs almost exactly 140 grams every time I tried, so I log that as 140 grams every time). Once I've established what's consistent and what's not, I only weight things that aren't very consistent. Weetabix claims a certain weight per 2 wafers, but I've always found my wafers weigh more (or less if one crumbled off too much), and I usually use 3-4, so it's not insignificant. I weigh and go by gram.

ETA: for vegetable salads, if I'm not the one preparing it or if it has many ingredients and I'm in a hurry I don't weigh all ingredients. In that case, I just weigh the whole thing before dressing and log it as one vegetable. For example, mom makes a very simple but tasty salad of cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, and extra virgin sunflower oil. I portion out and weigh my salad, log it as tomatoes, add as much oil as my calories can handle for that meal, and I'm good to go.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    I weighed a chocolate toasted-coconut donut from Timmy’s( calorie dense),I was eating at home out of curiosity and it weighed over the nutrition facts weight- I did the math& added the extra calories on_I weigh mostly everything at home( not iceberg lettuce)-especially if calorie dense or I’m eating a packaged food on the regular-I had a bad experience not weighing rye bread_but got suspicious b/c the slices were so,big-and the nutrition facts went by 1 slice and it ended up weighing almost twice! Say salsa or yogurt etc I use measuring spoons/cups.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Interesting how many people don't weigh their yogurt. I always do. Then again, mine is whole fat (9% fat for Greek) so I do need to weigh it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,099 Member
    Interesting how many people don't weigh their yogurt. I always do. Then again, mine is whole fat (9% fat for Greek) so I do need to weigh it.

I weigh mine.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member
    I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this or any compulsory thing you must do.

Weigh enough to be accurate enough - weighing and logging are tools or means to an end, not goals in themselves.

If whatever you are doing is working, based on real life results, ie whether you are losing as expected - then keep doing that.

Me personally - I never weighed to absolute accuracy - I called every similar size piece of whatever fruit a medium one, I accepted packages as having what they said, every slice of bread as being the same etc

That worked for me, and I reached my goal weight doing it that way throughout.