plant based protine

Options
rei9
rei9 Posts: 14 Member
thoughts on getting most of your protein from things other then meat and fish, for example beans and rice? pros and cons?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Plant foods are typically lower in protein, so it will take an effort. You have to get all of it through plants if you are a vegan.
  • rei9
    rei9 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, just heard its better for you. I still plan on eating meat just thinking about substituting some if it for heath benefits.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of things too. Not all of them are true, or are true only in certain contexts.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I get all my protein from plants. I don't know if it is better for you -- I mean, there are tons of health benefits to eating plants, but it's clear than humans also can enjoy great health on a diet that includes some animal products. There are many studies to document that vegans, overall, can thrive on a diet that is free of animal products. I don't think there is any convincing proof that one is *required* to eliminate animal products to enjoy good health.

That said, good plant sources of protein are soy products (tofu, tempeh, soy milk/yogurt), beans, and seitan. You can also get some protein from grains and vegetables (protein is in a wide variety of foods) and seeds/nuts, although it can be difficult for many people to get *enough* protein just from grains, vegetables, and seeds/nuts, especially if calories are also a concern. There are also a wide variety of plant-based protein powders now available -- soy, rice, hemp, even pea protein.

You can experiment with these foods while still including some animal products in your diet. Even people who still eat animal products are often getting some of their protein from plant sources, so you wouldn't be unusual.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Pros on plant proteins would be more fiber in your diet, more vitamins and minerals, replenishing your gut bacteria (think beans and fermented soy) and less saturated fat. Plant proteins I like are nut butters and nuts, beans, soy products like tofu, dark green leafy vegetables, etc. You can also choose to include dairy products like eggs, yogurt, cheese and for myself, I like to eat fish a couple of times a week. A diet with less meat has been shown to be associated with reduced risks of some cancers and heart disease. You don't have to give it up entirely though. Start out with one "meatless" day per week and then maybe expand that to one "meatless" meal per day for example. There is no "one size fits all" plan to reduce the amount of meat in your diet. Do what works for you.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Not that plant protein is bad, but there is a lack of amino acids and micronutrients, hence why a lot of vegans supplement. Also why a lot of vegan bodybuilders I know have to supplement with a vegan protein blend powder to obtain the right combo of amino acids and achieve their protein needs
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Not that plant protein is bad, but there is a lack of amino acids and micronutrients, hence why a lot of vegans supplement. Also why a lot of vegan bodybuilders I know have to supplement with a vegan protein blend powder to obtain the right combo of amino acids and achieve their protein needs

There's a widespread misunderstanding that when proteins are described as not "complete" it means that they're completely lacking certain amino acids. It just means that they don't have the perfect ratio of essential amino acids to ensure that if that particular food were your only source of protein, your body would be able to make complete use of all the amino acids in that food. It means that one of the essential amino acids is present in a lower ratio, compared to the presence of the other essential amino acids in that food, such that not all of the essential amino acids in that food would be completely utilized by your body in forming protein, if that were the only food you were eating.

Since most people don't eat diets consisting of a single food, they don't generally have to worry that much about the relatively low level of one amino acid in one food, as another food may be higher in that amino acid and lower in one that the first food has higher levels of. The combination of grains and legumes (of which beans and rice, mentioned by the OP, is one example) is a classic combination to take advantage of different amino acid profiles in different foods. (For people who pile on extra restrictions -- e.g., no beans, no tofu, no meat substitutes, no "processed" grains, as you often see people who want to be "clean" vegans posting -- on top of "getting most of your protein from things other than meat or fish," as OP aims to, and then restrict their overall food intake with a large deficit, it will definitely get to be problematic to get adequate protein, much less ensure adequate intake of all essential amino acids.)

Also, soy and quinoa are vegetarian protein sources that are considered "complete."
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I only eat plants and only 15% protein. Yet, here I am, alive and well — running, lifting and getting stronger. Check out The Gamechangers (movie).