Whats with the runny nose?

soswald1
soswald1 Posts: 3
edited October 1 in Health and Weight Loss
I have noticed that when I am out jogging, or riding bicycle at a moderate or high pace, I get a runny nose like I have a cold or somthing! Every time! And right now, I do not have a cold lol. Does anyone know why this happens? Just curious, and a little annoyed.

Replies

• cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    bump.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    I get that too, my eyes get dry from the wind. That could be part of why it causes the nose to run lol
  • Angfire
    Angfire Posts: 2 Member
    I was a cross country coach and runner, having the same problem. I was told it was allergies that may not be so noticable otherwise, but with running and taking in more air with breathing, it magnified it. I used to have almost an allergic reaction when running in the late summer early fall. It wold help to take a benedryl right before the run.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    maybe your nose just wants to join in with the run just like the rest of your body
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    My uneducated answer is this: You always have guck in you. When you run, you breathe more deeply than normal. This dislodges the guck, and it comes out in the form of a runny nose.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,585 Member
    I get it when I exercise indoors too so I don't think it's allergies in the air. I also produced excess saliva when I was in training for a 10k run earlier this year. I realised that my knees are never gonna allow me to be a runner but I did my best over the course - however, I got through a full pack of Kleenex and had to stop twice to spit in a bin, much to my BFF's horror as she thought I was puking, lol!

I've researched the Hell out of it and there doesn't seem to be any definitive reason or cure except keep a tissue tucked up your sleeve :)
  • mazza33
    mazza33 Posts: 123 Member
    maybe your nose just wants to join in with the run just like the rest of your body

ha ha - loved this answer :P
This discussion has been closed.