Are Protein shakes bad for diets?

Options
KatTad77
KatTad77 Posts: 39 Member
I supplement Gold Standard protein shakes for snacks. Just one a day. Maybe 2 if I have just veggies for dinner. Its 1 scoop with six ounces of unsweetened almond milk. However, a friend has told me that I should not drink protein shakes when on a diet. I understand it is not a diet food but I do not think its bad. I do it to hit my 50% protein 25% Fat and 25% carbs. But I may be wrong. Also, I take Leucine supplements as well and she said thats not good either. Is she right?

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm guessing your friend doesn't know the difference between a straight protein shake and a mass gainer shake?

Even the mass gainer wouldn't make or break a diet ... but considering how many calories most pack it would probably be all you could have for that meal. ;)
  • KatTad77
    Options
    Did your friend give you any reason why they thought it was bad for a diet?

It's a food. It's not bad or good for a diet.

She said its processed first of all.
    Second she said that it would cause me to gain in the end.
    However, in my own experience. I am down 14 pounds in 25 days plus I have gained some muscle mass. So I do not think its hurting me.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My dietitian preferred I diet with regular food because I did need to learn about portion sizing. But a shake is not going to kill a diet. Know how many calories are hiding in those suckers.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    If you can get your protein requirements with food then you don't need protein shakes. You can get the same protein from 1 chicken breast or a portion of fish or a steak. I would not use protein shake as a meal replacement, unless absolutely necessary
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    a protein shake won't hurt you - but a 50P/25C/25F seems awfully excessive on the protein side - what does that come out to in grams?
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I would argue that "diets" are bad for your diet! Develop a meal plan that is very specific to you, it doesn't matter how many woo's you get what matters is if it works. If your are trying to maintain or build muscle you need a certain amount of protein in grams. A lot of people say 1g per lb of body weight. I personally don't think you need that much. But then BB's will tell 1.5g per lb. That's up to you to recognize what works and what doesn't. For me I do a post workout protein shake. Because I'm a vegetarian I only get around 120g of protein and I weigh 188lbs, so I specifically do a protein shake right after my workout. I also do a yogurt and fruit meal just before my workout. Because my protein is low for my size I feel its more important to time my protein. YMMV.

• KatTad77
    Options
    Buff_Man wrote: »
    If you can get your protein requirements with food then you don't need protein shakes. You can get the same protein from 1 chicken breast or a portion of fish or a steak. I would not use protein shake as a meal replacement, unless absolutely necessary

I do not use it as a meal replacement. I use it as a snack otherwise I do not hit my 50% protein for the day.
  • KatTad77
    Options
    I would argue that "diets" are bad for your diet! Develop a meal plan that is very specific to you, it doesn't matter how many woo's you get what matters is if it works. If your are trying to maintain or build muscle you need a certain amount of protein in grams. A lot of people say 1g per lb of body weight. I personally don't think you need that much. But then BB's will tell 1.5g per lb. That's up to you to recognize what works and what doesn't. For me I do a post workout protein shake. Because I'm a vegetarian I only get around 120g of protein and I weigh 188lbs, so I specifically do a protein shake right after my workout. I also do a yogurt and fruit meal just before my workout. Because my protein is low for my size I feel its more important to time my protein. YMMV.

Yeah I know its about changing my way of thinking about food which I have been doing. I am not a vegetarian but primarily I eat very little meat. I eat more veggies and eggs than anything. So in order to get my protein I do shakes as well.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    KatTad77 wrote: »

I do not use it as a meal replacement. I use it as a snack otherwise I do not hit my 50% protein for the day.

I wouldn't worry about the percentage. 50% is really high for most people btw. Put more consideration into the grams you are getting. But more importantly ask why this is important to you? What are you trying to accomplish? What are your goals? If you can define that people will give you better answers.
  • KatTad77
    Options

I wouldn't worry about the percentage. 50% is really high for most people btw. Put more consideration into the grams you are getting. But more importantly ask why this is important to you? What are you trying to accomplish? What are your goals? If you can define that people will give you better answers.

Thx for the insight. My goal is 50 pounds by September as I am a VO actress and I have to go to New Zealand. But my ultimate goal is to become healthy and lose weight and also add muscle mass. Its not about the actual pounds I weight but if I put it in actual pounds I want to be out of the 200s by this time next year.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,028 Member
    Options

Yeah I know its about changing my way of thinking about food which I have been doing. I am not a vegetarian but primarily I eat very little meat. I eat more veggies and eggs than anything. So in order to get my protein I do shakes as well.

I dont drink protein shakes and I dont know what a VO actress is - but above statement sounds a good strategy to me in context of your overall diet - obviously, like everything, accounting for the calories. to make sure you are in a calorie deficit.

• KatTad77
    Options

I dont drink protein shakes and I dont know what a VO actress is - but above statement sounds a good strategy to me in context of your overall diet - obviously, like everything, accounting for the calories. to make sure you are in a calorie deficit.

VO actress is a voice-over actress. Thank you.