IIFYM vs. RP

Options
agruwell
agruwell Posts: 1 Member
Hi friends!

I'm looking for advice on macro-based diets. I know some friends who stick to a strict Renaissance Periodization diet and have been successful, but it also seems hard to stick to (and expensive). IIFYM seems a little more flexible, but I'm curious if it will produce the same kinds of results as RP. Has anyone done both or had amazing success with either?

I do a lot of weight lifting and very little steady-state cardio (interval/circuit cardio stuff if anything). I put on muscle fast but I need a diet that will help me cut fat and not make me too tired to lift.

Also, looking for motivation from friends if anyone wants to add me!

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Do you mean weight loss results? Work out results? Energy?

Weight loss comes down to sticking to your calorie deficit. Whichever way of eating makes it easiest for you personally to eat the right amount of calories will get you weight loss results.

I've never done any specific way of eating, so I can't help you with either diet. You'll want to get at least 0.8g of protein per lb of goal body weight and 0.3g of fat per. The rest is personal preference, different plans will work better for different people. Hopefully others will come along with some reviews for you, good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Renaissance periodisation diet....? The what now?! :huh:

https://renaissanceperiodization.com/
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't over complicate it, especially if you are starting to calorie/macro count. I am not familiar with RP but I would imagine it is more in depth than just calorie counting. You can experiment with different things later if you wish (ie. meal timing, calorie/carb cycling, refeeds, etc) but they are not necessary especially starting out.

As mentioned 0.8-1g protein per lb bodyweight, 0.35g fat per lb minimum.. rest carbs. Start with that.. get the hang of it, don't go too aggressive with the deficit (less than 1% per lb per week).. and make sure you are following a progressive lifting program.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    RP did a good thing for me in helping me think through general macro volumes, meal prep, and being smart about fueling myself well for workouts.

I didn't stick with it because eating 6 times a day is just a lot of work and I honestly am just not at a place where I care enough to follow it through.

It's definitely a case of "optimal" vs. "good enough".

If you eat at a caloric deficit and get enough protein, for the most part results will follow. RP even talks about that in their pyramid. https://renaissanceperiodization.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Health-e1473707915346.jpg

IIFYM is the bottom 3 sections of that pyramid. RP fills in the nutrient timing.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    RP did a good thing for me in helping me think through general macro volumes, meal prep, and being smart about fueling myself well for workouts.

I didn't stick with it because eating 6 times a day is just a lot of work and I honestly am just not at a place where I care enough to follow it through.

It's definitely a case of "optimal" vs. "good enough".

If you eat at a caloric deficit and get enough protein, for the most part results will follow. RP even talks about that in their pyramid. https://renaissanceperiodization.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Health-e1473707915346.jpg

IIFYM is the bottom 3 sections of that pyramid. RP fills in the nutrient timing.

Fascinating.. i hear great things about their lifting programs.. but i guess if one needs a bit of structure in your dietary strategy, this seems to be a fairly good one.

But they pretty much took this pyramid from Eric Helms, lol.

OP, if calories and protein are matched it won't matter. The bigger question is if you want the additional structure they provide in their dietary strategy.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    IIFYM can be dangerous because people can feel like it gives them license to eat unhealthy foods on a regular basis.

And that is the best thing about it.

There are no generically ‘healthy’ and ‘unhealthy’ foods. There are just foods that meet your specific nutritional and psychological requirements, and foods that don’t. So if you’re getting your fruit and veg and approximately hitting your macros, there’s absolutely nothing ‘unhealthy’ about filling in with a bit of chocolate or cake.

I mean, you can go all whole/‘natural’ foods if you want, but if I tried to eat like that I’d be miserable, and more importantly I’d’ve been miserable enough to have gone a-bingeing and then given up on this whole weight loss thing months ago.

What I actually do is make sure I get my five-a-day of fruit and veg, top up my protein occasionally with protein bars, and eat whatever I fancy for the rest. Not dead yet. The best diet is the one you can actually stick to.