My Red face after exercise stays red all day!!? Help?

Options
It’s a new condition I observed this week, I don’t even do strenuous exercise, just a fast walk when I break sweat. I come home and my face stays red all day like a beetroot especially around the nose cheeks and neck and I’m itchy there and on top of palms of my hands. I applied Aloe Vera but it’s not it. Is my sweat too acidic? What’s happened to me, it’s new to me. Did any of you experience something like that? Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• mkyoungdds
    mkyoungdds Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I doubt it has anything to do with your sweat. You sweat over most of your body, but not the palms of your hands.

It sounds like a mild allergic reaction. Did you start using any new products (particularly face products) or eating any new foods? Is there anything in your Aloe Vera other than the aloe? Are you using a towel from the gym to wipe the sweat off your face?
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Rinse with cold,water after working out to see if it soothes it out.
  • LadyElectron
    LadyElectron Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yea it sounds like prickly heat. Not much to do but maybe take a cool bath or shower and wait it out. Unless of course you ate or applied something unusual then I would say maybe an allergic reaction
  • sophia162
    sophia162 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    rosacea?
  • ninka_polish
    ninka_polish Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys, no I don’t use anything on my face, never did. No make up no creams in my life it’s just purely natural. I used Aloe Vera only once after the redness wasn’t coming off to soothe it but it didn’t work. I hope it’s not rosacea as it means I’ll need medication or some cream. I’ll try cold shower next time and see if it helps I have no bath just shower. What else opens sweat pores? Skin scrub never used that in my life need to find out what type to buy and all. If you guys have any more advice please post it I’m afraid to go on my walk now:( one of my friends said I might have high blood pressure in my face I do t know if you can have high BP in the eye or lungs maybe it can be also in the face. But the worst thing is it’s new and scary and it prevents me from wanting to go and exercise to lose those hugely obese folds.
  • carolsoules
    carolsoules Posts: 34 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Maybe you're allergic to something in the area you walk--do you walk the same place every day?

"Itchy" sweat and blood pressure issues can be signs of kidney problems. I don't want to worry you--it's probably not serious--but I might go to the doctor just to be sure. Lots of conditions associated with being overweight can put stress on the kidneys, type II diabetes being the main example. Couldn't hurt to get a checkup--at the end of the day, none of us on here can diagnose you with any certainty.
  • Semele0
    Semele0 Posts: 114 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Maybe you simply have a very sensitiv skin that is prone to redness. You can try to wash your face with some facewash specifically made for sensitive skin. Washing away the sweat is a good idea, it's true that it's all over your body, but the skin on your face is usually more sensitive. You can use a soft towel to dry out sweat while you workout, see if it gets better. But it could also be the heat and not the sweat that triggers the redness. If it keeps happening you may want to see a dermatologist.

PS. Be cautious of face scrubs! I have very sensitive skin too and it gets red all the time, and scrubs definitively make it worse!
  • flosoup24
    flosoup24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have rosacea and this happens to me.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    my roommate has this happen, she hates it. I'm not sure if she has ever gone to the dr. to ask about it though,

She sticks to doing cardio activity at the end of the day, or on weekends. Hot showers and face soaps haven't helped her. I

However if you do go to the Dr and they let you know to try something different, update my thread as I will pass along to my roommate too.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My allergies started kind of that way. With itchy hands (and feet) and redness. Eventually I started getting hives. I went to an allergist and it turns out I developed an allergy to a bunch of grass types and some trees. It might not be allergies for you, but spring/summer is when all that wonderful pollen starts showing up and the itching starts. It’s pretty manageable with medication at least.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Mild wind burn?
  • Semele0
    Semele0 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My allergies started kind of that way. With itchy hands (and feet) and redness. Eventually I started getting hives. I went to an allergist and it turns out I developed an allergy to a bunch of grass types and some trees. It might not be allergies for you, but spring/summer is when all that wonderful pollen starts showing up and the itching starts. It’s pretty manageable with medication at least.

That seems a very good answer! Re-reading your post I noticed the itch is on your hand too, so rosacea and sensitive face skin may not be the right answer. If you go for your walk outside in a grassy area is very likely an allergy
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I would definitely schedule a doctor appointment. I have allergies and just generally sensitive skin. During the spring each year I have to take a daily allergy medication or I’m a red faced itchy mess. When it’s really bad, I look as though I’ve been on a crying jag as my face, especially my eyes and nose are bright red. It also makes my hands and forearms itch. If it’s allergies, it’s not curable but is highly treatable. I also exercise indoors mostly to avoid the spring pollen.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Your skin color in your avatar looks red, is this a recent photo?
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys, no I don’t use anything on my face, never did. No make up no creams in my life it’s just purely natural. I used Aloe Vera only once after the redness wasn’t coming off to soothe it but it didn’t work. I hope it’s not rosacea as it means I’ll need medication or some cream. I’ll try cold shower next time and see if it helps I have no bath just shower. What else opens sweat pores? Skin scrub never used that in my life need to find out what type to buy and all. If you guys have any more advice please post it I’m afraid to go on my walk now:( one of my friends said I might have high blood pressure in my face I do t know if you can have high BP in the eye or lungs maybe it can be also in the face. But the worst thing is it’s new and scary and it prevents me from wanting to go and exercise to lose those hugely obese folds.

I would highly suggest not using a scrub on your face if you are experiencing itching and redness. Here are some things you can use while your skin is ticked off.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MY8CMNE/ref=mp_s_a_1_9_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1525548077&sr=8-9&keywords=vanicream&dpPl=1&dpID=41dyMFYmfbL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QY1XZ4W/ref=pd_aw_fbt_194_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S39BEC62EZJZER3AFB1D

Vanicream is one of the gentlest products on the market. Its available at most drug stores as well as WalMart and Target.

Also use a zinc based sunscreen that is formulated for babies.

My son gets something very similar to what you are describing. He has a mild sun allergy. Try wearing sunscreen, a hat, and gloves the next time you go out. If it persists, talk to your doc.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I second the no scrub advice, that’s a fairly extreme thing to do to already irritated skin.

First I’d suggest trying to pay really close attention as to conditions when it kicks off and try to isolate.
  • Icykittenofoom
    Icykittenofoom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I naturally have a bit of red in my face. All my aunts and cousins have beautiful even skin tone not me. In high school I was in sports and we would run, by the end my face was very red. It would last all night. I do have a lot of allergies but this can happen even if I’m not outside. I drink a lot more water now that I’m older and that seems to help. You might just have a naturally rosy skin tone that gets a bit irritated by sweat. I would start with cool water then use cold and pat my face gently till it felt cool then pat dry.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    Try doing cardio in a gym and see if it happens. if it doesn't happen.. it must be the grass or vegetation on your walk. If it does happen...i'd get checked by your dr...just to put your mind at ease... The poster with rosacea said it happens to her..so it could be that...so don't be worried.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    my face gets red after certain exercise but it doesnt stay red so Im not sure what it could be. mine doesnt get itchy either and Im allergic to many many things. mine is a short raise in blood pressure(I dont have high blood pressure either). so I also agree with seeing a dr and see if it happens indooors.

I do know that years ago my face would get red and blotchy and itchy and the dr said I was allergic to my own sweat on my face and neck because those are my most sensitive areas. but my cholesterol was high back then too. so dont know if that was just a coincidence or not. dont have that issue now just the red face for a few hours and sometimes a really bad headache