Oatmeal.

Options
For those members who eat oatmeal how much do you eat as a serving (dry).

Thanks

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Is your question what a serving size is or how much people eat themselves??? Cause a serving is 40 grams dry, but amount is dependent on the person....
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup plus a smidge extra
    ( Yes I know this is a very poorly measured amount but I've done this through losing weight and now in maintenance)

Also, I put in two tablespoons of jiffy smooth peanut butter.
  • newlifeambitions
    newlifeambitions Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    usually 40 to 50g dry depending on how hungry I am!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    48g (1.2 servings) with 10g of peanut butter, cinnamon, and a banana.
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I use 48g, which is a serving size for the brand I like. I heat it in the microwave with 1c of water, then I stir in some cinnamon and 2Tb of Natural peanut butter. Top it off with a sliced banana. I’m generally not hungry for about 5 hours after eating this lol
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh it (I know, I know, but so far I'm happy with my rate of loss) but I use a cup of dry cooked in a cup of almond or soy milk with brown sugar, cinnamon, and diced apple.
  • MarciFrench
    MarciFrench Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If I’m eating Rolled Oats 1/2 cup dry; for steel cut I use about 1/4 cup dry.
  • bunnyluv19
    bunnyluv19 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup dry oats soaked in 1/3 cup milk & 2 tsp.sugar,I eat this every other night for bed-time snack.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,293 Member
    Options
    Only 30 grams (about 1/4C of thick rolled oats), but I add 14g walnuts, 12g flax seed, 10g hemp hearts, 112g Greek yogurt, 100g mixed berries, 20g blackstrap molasses, 1/2t cinnamon (how I like it), which drives the calories up.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat one packet of instant or 1/4 cup dry.
  • Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    40g dry rolled oats mixed with fruits, yummy :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Usually eat 1/2 cup dry steel cut oats.

Never weigh it. Not important enough to me to do so. I just go w/ the nutritional facts that state that a 1/4 cup serving is about 40g and 150 cals.

So, I usually eat 80g/300 cals of oats plus a tbsp honey and a 1/2 cup of fruit and a 1/4 cup of mixed nuts for a total of about 500 cals for breakfast when I make it, which isn't all that often.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    30-40 grams. 40 grams is 1/2 cup dry for the flaked style of oatmeal I buy that actually a UK brand. I prepare 40 grams it with almost as much water as called for 1 cup dry, making it more porridge style vs. dry oatmeal. Add 14 grams of butter and 16 grams of either cream or maple syrup.

It's a weekend (and occasionally weekday) treat vs. routine breakfast.

I've tried the fruit jam trick to sweeten it but, frankly, am unimpressed as it gets "lost" in the oatmeal would require far more calories of jam than I am willing to expend on the endeavor/meal to truly make sweet.

I've also tried the protein powder in ones oatmeal trick. It is super gross, imo. And, yes, I did it "correctly" by using a bit of water to make a slurry of the protein powder first so there were no lumps of raw protein powder in the oatmeal; still not good. At all.

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/2 cup of rolled oats, 150 calories. I will add 10 g of sunflower seeds (60 cals), 1/4 tsp maple syrup (about 5 cals) cinnamon and some kind of fruit. Sometimes I'll add raisins, blueberries, pomegranates, whatever is in season. Lately I've been adding 1/4 cup of applesauce, which is 25 calories. I also eat 2 fried eggs and 2 pieces of bacon with this breakfast (270 calories). So a total of about 600 calories. If I want to eat less, I will eat an almond milk smoothie or have the oatmeal and just one egg.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    When the family wants pancakes for dinner, I eat gluten free oatmeal because I can't have the pancakes. Dinner is my big meal of the day. I have celiac disease and I have a lot of calories to eat then.

114 grams. With either 140 grams raspberries or 180 grams pumpkin and 400 grams of yogurt and 10 grams of almonds.