Anybody on supplements?

Options
Now that I’ve accomplished my weight loss goal, I’ve decided to make a new one - muscle gains. I’m on creatine monohydrate right now (I’ve done my research on creatine; many mixed views out there but a lot of positive ones too). I’ve noticed a very slight improvement in terms of muscle endurance (mind you, I’ve just started taking creatine). Just looking to see if any one else is on it as well and what their views are.

Replies

• Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I take it. It seems to make your muscles more full and round. It gives you a better look.

It’s supposedly increases strength but I haven’t really done a test to see if I lose strength off of it and gain strength on it.

All in all I like it and been on it for years.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Creatine is one of the very few supplements for which there is actual good scientific evidence showing that it works. If you haven't read it already while studying up on it, here is a very thorough, comprehensive, science-based reference: https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

With that said, my personal experience was that I took a known good brand/quality creatine monohydrate (5g/day, every day) for almost a year and noticed absolutely nothing in terms of effects. No water retention, no increase in my lifts (and no decrease when I stopped taking it), no "fuller" look in the muscles, no improved endurance/quicker recovery between sets - absolutely nothing. We've tossed it around in past threads here and the general consensus is that I'm either a non-responder (a certain percentage of people are), or I already get enough creatine in my diet (I eat a lot of meat).

Either way, it's an inexpensive supplement and there's no downside to taking it, so it can't hurt anything for you to give it a try. Many people seem to have great results with it - I'm just not one of them.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Creatine is one of the very few supplements for which there is actual good scientific evidence showing that it works. If you haven't read it already while studying up on it, here is a very thorough, comprehensive, science-based reference: https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

With that said, my personal experience was that I took a known good brand/quality creatine monohydrate (5g/day, every day) for almost a year and noticed absolutely nothing in terms of effects. No water retention, no increase in my lifts (and no decrease when I stopped taking it), no "fuller" look in the muscles, no improved endurance/quicker recovery between sets - absolutely nothing. We've tossed it around in past threads here and the general consensus is that I'm either a non-responder (a certain percentage of people are), or I already get enough creatine in my diet (I eat a lot of meat).

Either way, it's an inexpensive supplement and there's no downside to taking it, so it can't hurt anything for you to give it a try. Many people seem to have great results with it - I'm just not one of them.

This is very true! Creatine is the best researched and proved supplement out there, and the only one I would really recommend spending your money on.

When it comes to which brand to buy, just choose the cheapest. Some brands say they have better products than others, but there haven't been any proven effects of any of the other kinds of creatine compared to the normal creatine monohydrate, so that is mostly just gimmicks. I buy a cheap bag from myprotein.com and take 5g every morning.

Other than that the only supplements I would recommend are fish oil and maybe a vitamin if you are low in calories and/or can't get enough veggies and whole foods in.
  • bettybutane
    bettybutane Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I took creatine for a while a few years ago and to be honest it really messed up my digestion. However, my husband takes it and swears by it.
    In terms of supplements, I take multivitamins, fish oil and B-vitamins.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Creatine has always messed with my digestion too.

I use whey protein, but don't personally class it as a supplement.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I take creatine, magnesium, and vitamin D.
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I started taking creatine daily 8 weeks ago. It took about 1.5-2 weeks when I noticed difference in body comp as well as strength. Most my lifts improved by roughly 10%. I'm doing 5g daily of basic creatine monohydrate. I like it and plan to stay on it and not cycle it. Also take protein powder sporadically, when I want to add protein to my daily intake or don't feel like eating or have time for a full meal.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I take a stimmed pre-workout 2/3 times a week. I lift at 4am and some days I just need to wake the *kitten* up and a coffee isn’t going to do it.

Besides that mainly just protein which I look at more as a food source. I just use it to increase protein macro for day with minimal calorie uptake.

I’ve read that up to 30% of people are non responders to creatine and think I fall in that group. I also never really gain water weight even if I do a loading phase.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Calcium +D, fish oil and magnesium. The occasional protein shake if I fall short on protein from food alone.

I've tried creatine 2 times during my bulks over the past 3 years. I think I fall under the non responder category.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I use caffeine, creatine and protein powders to supplement.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Alia_R wrote: »
    Now that I’ve accomplished my weight loss goal, I’ve decided to make a new one - muscle gains. I’m on creatine monohydrate right now (I’ve done my research on creatine; many mixed views out there but a lot of positive ones too). I’ve noticed a very slight improvement in terms of muscle endurance (mind you, I’ve just started taking creatine). Just looking to see if any one else is on it as well and what their views are.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637410/beneficial-supplements-which-ones-are-right-for-you/p1

Here is a good thread to look at all the beneficial supplements. Basically, Creatine, caffeine, Beta-Alanine and L-Citruline/Citrulline Malate and protein.
  • Rabbit91476
    Rabbit91476 Posts: 41 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Orange triad mvi has joint supplements in it. Am now able to run again. D3 because it’s so cheep. Casin protean before bed so I don’t wake up hangry. And creatine. Because it’s so cheap. A quality fish oil. I’m 43. And I feel 32 now
  • Rabbit91476
    Rabbit91476 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Oh and caffeine