Goal weight for ladies who are 5’6?

2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I'm 5' 6.5". My original goal was 140, but I reached it and kept going. I'm now around 130 pounds and very happy.

I'm also 5'6.5". I'm most comfortable at 130. I'm up around 140 or so right now, as the pounds slid on a bit whilst I was transitioning through menopause. I'm finding it challenging to lose them, but that's not so surprising given the small margin of error.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm 5'8" and my GW is 130, and the rule of thumb for women is 5 lbs per inch, so if I was 5'6" goal would be 120. But everyone has different bone structure, different build, and different muscle mass. Some 5'6" chicks may look best at 145 and some may look best at 115. My own structure looks best at the lower end of healthy weight. It all depends.

The rule of thumb always *was* 100Lbs at 5' and 5lbs per inch thereafter. That would be 140 for 5'8" and 130 for 5'6".
    That was always just a guideline of course. It's what I used when setting my original goal, and what turned out to feel best for me.
  • GirlVersusFat
    GirlVersusFat Posts: 31 Member
    I'm 24 and5'6 started out at 204, and my original goal weight was 150 I'm currently 131 my new goal weight 125 I want to hover around 125-130
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I'm 5'4" and currently weigh 165 lbs at age 29. My goal is currently 147 lbs based on body fat percentage goal of about 22% (currently at 30-31%, lean mass of about 114 lbs). Like others, this goal may change as I get closer. My main goal is fat reduction and the scale doesn't tell you that.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    I'm just barely 5'7", so I'll chime in! I'm currently 138 and pretty happy with how I am looking, but still have a little to lose. My initial goal was 135, and to set 135-140 as my maintenance range. I may shoot for 130. Not sure yet, but I will reassess when I hit 135. Realistically I was also pretty content with how I looked at 145. It's all just vanity now, doing it just to say I could, and a little bit of competition with my high school self haha. I'm 36 and now weigh less than I did in high school!
  • fitinitin
    fitinitin Posts: 16 Member
    135 is the goal. Been there before, looked and felt great. Need to stay focused on healthy lifestyle choices (moderation), daily cardio, portions sizes and logging every bite. I dipped below 130 for a bit but that was too much, I didn’t feel strong @ lower weight. Without tracking food & exercise my body hovers around 150. I don’t know what my body fat% : lean muscle %. I’ve read that is more important as we age. I just don’t feel as energetic when my weight is near 150. Much more energetic around 135.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I am 5'7". My goal is always changing. Right now my goal weight will probably be 135-138lbs. In the past it was 125, 127, 129. My ultimate goal will be to be 140-145lb lean. Many more muscle building cycles required for that though.
  • Steph1015
    Steph1015 Posts: 119 Member
    I'm 5'6 my goal weight is 135-140
  • MaKaylaH2002
    MaKaylaH2002 Posts: 1 Member
    I’m 161 and my goal weight is 130 but I’m focusing more on getting rid of love handles so when ever that happens I’m satisfied.
  • http://www.mybodygallery.com is an interesting resource for discussions like these! Lots & lots of anonymous photos for people at different (self reported) heights & weights. The variety is amazing and wonderful.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    130 for me. I have a fairly athletic build (broad shoulders, etc.), so I think I'll look pretty slim at that weight. I'll reassess when I get closer to goal.
  • cash81
    cash81 Posts: 1 Member
    im 5'6 with a large bone structure and my goal is 185. I am curvy with a large bust and bottom. I once got down to 175 but was starting to look too thin. I look great at 180. Everyone is wanting different looks, so whatever pleases you. I weigh 250 right now and this is my heaviest, so my journey is just begining.
  • Secretnotes
    Secretnotes Posts: 46 Member
    At 5' 5.5", I hover around 134-137, but I noticed the fat location and distribution changes considerably with my fitness level. During summers at this weight, I'll be a size smaller because I'm boating, swimming, gardening, weeding, etc.

So it isn't so much what I weigh, it's the way I stay there.
  • thinbybday
    thinbybday Posts: 32 Member
    I’m 5’6.5” / 47 yo / weigh 140
    I’m not trying to lose weight. My goal is to get strong and lose fat. I was fluffy. I’ve dropped 10% fat while maintaining my weight through very intentional food and weight lifting. I’ve always been a runner at every weight, so that is my constant. I’m a lot faster now, though.
  • Cirque95
    Cirque95 Posts: 22 Member
    I'm currently 182 lbs, starting weight was 211 lbs. My GW is 147 lbs at the moment. I think any lower than that wouldn't suit my structure. I'm pretty muscular and curvy so think I might look really different if I lost too much haha. Rather than focusing on a goal weight though, I've just been focusing on how my clothes are fitting. I can't ever recall being less than 154 lbs so I'll just keep an eye on what I look like as the scale goes down and stop when I'm happy.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!