Long Recovery & Muscle Soreness After Lifting Legs

Right now I'm training for a bikini level body building competition. I'm 21, am 5'8, and I'm weighing about 123lbs right now. I'm counting my macros, aiming for 1,700 calories a day (I need about 2,200 to maintain my weight. I've lost some weight, I'm down from baseline weight of 136lbs. I've gone up 20lbs in my bench press since I started dieting, and I can lift heavier in everything else too. For Macros I'm currently trying to get 35% carbs, 35% fats, and 30% protein.

Since I'm still early in my training (about 9 weeks out) I'm still trying to gain some lean muscle before I fully start cutting since my weight is already pretty low for my height. When I lift for all muscle groups (other than core which is an animal of its own) I do 3 sets of 8 reps as heavy as I can handle and keep form. When I lift legs I do squats, leg press, calf raises, leg extensions, leg curls, and hip abductors (inner and outer thigh).

Suppliments: I take two scoops of beyond raw's iso-peptide (hydrolyzed) protein every day immediately after my workout. Some days I'll do half a scoop of beyond raw's get lit preworkout. Then just recently I added in BCAA's daily (also beyond raw) two scoops sometime in my day not too far from my workout, and I also mix an extra 5 grams of glutamine into my BCAA's.

Diet: I'm currently on a really strict diet that I created for myself. My minor from college is in nutrition, so I've played a lot with different diets and how my body reacts in the past. Currently, I'm having absolutely no sugar, no fake sweeteners other than whats in my supplements, and no stevia or honey either. No bread at all. The only main non fruit or veggie carbs I'm having are brown rice, oats, and quinoa. I'm also not eating white potatoes or corn. I have no dairy at all other than occasional unsweet greek yogurt. So my diet is mostly lean meats, permitted carbs, fruit, veggies, and healthier oils. I drink a lot of unsweet green tea (mostly home brewed), eggs, oats, almonds, grilled chicken, brown rice, and bananas. Not every day, but I am still eating legumes (mostly chickpeas) and I also have coconut milk about twice a week.

I don't have trouble for any other muscle group, but my legs are so so sore after I lift. Usually about 4-5 days. Any suggestions to remedy this?

Some have suggested that I add more glutamine, or add more carbs on leg day pre and post workout.

In addition to lifting, I do run some. Last time I lifted legs, I ran 7 miles the next day. (Usually its like 3-5 miles once or twice a week, but I recently started going further.)

ysyve3u8jc54.jpgi1fedny7wcnb.jpg

Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,789 Member
    edited April 2018
    Bodybuilding.com forum would ne a much better place to get answers you seek since they have people that compete.

Or follow Layne Norton on Facebook.......or Brad.....or Eric........

Ps.....there is no such thing as lean muscle
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited April 2018
    How often do you train your legs per week?

sardelsa wrote: »
    What lifting program are you following? Are you only training them once per week?

This was my question, as well. You'll be less sore if you train them more than once per week.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Maybe you're not eating enough? Just a thought
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I have never controlled my exercise routine or food intake like you are so forgive my inexperience. Isn’t it impossible to gain muscle on a deficit?

How about a round of stretching on leg day?

If you are nine weeks from competition day it is too late to go on a bulk, I’d think.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited April 2018
    'It can take 20 weeks'....this particular competitor trained 5 days a week.

https://www.shape.com/fitness/training-plans/day-life-bikini-competition-winner
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member

And this is why I could never compete!
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member

And this is why I could never compete!

I would but too old at 42 for that lark
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

I'm still trying to gain some lean muscle

Suppliments: I take two scoops of beyond raw's iso-peptide (hydrolyzed) protein every day immediately after my workout. Some days I'll do half a scoop of beyond raw's get lit preworkout. Then just recently I added in BCAA's daily (also beyond raw) two scoops sometime in my day not too far from my workout, and I also mix an extra 5 grams of glutamine into my BCAA's.

In addition to lifting, I do run some. Last time I lifted legs, I ran 7 miles the next day. (Usually its like 3-5 miles once or twice a week, but I recently started going further.)

Sounds like your training is going well, but keep in mind that you're retaining muscle not gaining muscle since you are eating in such a deficit. Unless you are geared of course.

No need for BCAA's as your Raw's iso-peptide protien has plenty of leucine, isoleucine, and valine in just one serving not alone two that you're consuming daily. You are covered for muscle synthesis.

I'd hazard your recent addition of miles of running has to do with your new level of soreness. Your body probably hasn't adapted to that level of fitness just yet. You might find better recovery if you short run(3-5 miles) immediately after leg day in gym or more days in between than the following day.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I'm with the Chief.
    When I run the day after lifting with my legs, I feel slow and heavy. And then, it definitely prolongs the recovery and the soreness.
    Maybe its because running is a lot of pounding on already assaulted legs? Maybe it is just more physical demand on muscles that want to begin recovery.
    I've got a suggestion. Probably a silly one. But....
    There recently was a study in which they compared drinking a sports drink, like Gatorade, with eating a banana. They were asking the question: Is there an advantage to the banana, since they both provide carbs and minerals.
    Well, yes, there was an advantage, the study suggested. The banana resulted in slightly better performance, and even more better recovery, than the Gatorade and, while they could not say why definitively, they thought it probably had to the banana having some anti-inflammatory properties.
    Okay. It's one study. Okay. It was small. But, on the off-chance.....Is it so hard to add a little banana to your post-workout snack?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I'm with the Chief.
    When I run the day after lifting with my legs, I feel slow and heavy. And then, it definitely prolongs the recovery and the soreness.
    Maybe its because running is a lot of pounding on already assaulted legs? Maybe it is just more physical demand on muscles that want to begin recovery.
    There recently was a study in which they compared drinking a sports drink, like Gatorade, with eating a banana. They were asking the question: Is there an advantage to the banana, since they both provide carbs and minerals.
    Well, yes, there was an advantage, the study suggested. The banana resulted in slightly better performance, and even more better recovery, than the Gatorade and, while they could not say why definitively, they thought it probably had to the banana having some anti-inflammatory properties.
    Okay. It's one study. Okay. It was small. But, on the off-chance.....Is it so hard to add a little banana to your post-workout snack?

Aren't bananas high in potassium? Maybe that's what does it...
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited May 2018
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I'm with the Chief.

Ug, I've been dealing with this fun lifting + running combo recently too. Too bad even thinking about the smell of bananas makes me gag. :(
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    It seems like my legs are always sore from squatting twice per week. My squat PR's are going up again so regardless, I know I'm getting stronger. I'm not sure soreness is really a bad thing and I think I actually like it (as long as I know I'm improving).
  • NerdyFlex
    NerdyFlex Posts: 1,672 Member
    Your body can’t build muscle at a caloric deficit. As far as the leg soreness, I would be willing to bet it’s more due to the running. I also do a good bit of distance running and it’s tough on the legs to say the least. I have personally found that eating a banana before helps a ton though, maybe it’s just me
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    My legs get more sore as I get deeper into a deficit. I'm recently just incorporated a LITTLE bit of running and notice my legs are a bit heavy feeling and I struggle with squats. I'd say cut back on your running a bit, and make sure you're training legs twice per week.