Feeling Dizzy since started new Weight lifting program

Options
lollypoppet
lollypoppet Posts: 103 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi All,

I have started a weight lifting program and i'm now coming up to week 4 - i haven't really lifted weights before, i was doing a program called BBG but now my body goals have changed and i want to lift more. During week 3 i started to feel really dizzy, and i have been nearly all week. I think it is in my diet, but just wanted to hear if anyone else experienced this?

I work out 4 times a week for about 45-50 mins.

I have actually gone to my doctor and just pending blood results now. Its very strange as i never have felt this way before, and i do eat 3 main meals and 2 sometimes 3 snacks in-between, but thinking i may need to change the style of my diet compared to what i was eating on BBG.

Replies

• lollypoppet
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    Is the dizziness happening throughout the day, or only when you're in the midst of lifting? And how many calories are you getting? If you're starting to lift more now you might need to bump up your calories a little.

I've had my share of dizzy spells and for me it usually happens when my electrolytes are messed up or i'm undereating/dehydrated. Your doctor will let you know if you have any deficiencies or other issues like anemia. I'd say take it easy for a while until you get your test results.

Its happened on days when i haven't been lifting - i've been looking at eating more and changing my diet up slightly. I thought it might be electrolytes or something - just freaks me up cause whilst i take it easy i dont know how to prevent it :( even if im not exercising.
  • lollypoppet
    Options
    How many calories are you averaging daily? How tall are you and how much do you weigh?

I suspect you aren't eating enough.

i weight 136lbs, and i am 5'4, I would say when i was doing the BBG program i was eating maybe about 1500 or so, but now i have started lifting more, i think i need to eat more which i am trying to do - i do eat 3 main meals a day and i do eat in-between, but maybe what i am actually eating isn't enough. :(
  • lollypoppet
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Are you trying to eat low-carb? Are you eating back exercise calories? Are you low on sodium?

1500 for a daily calorie goal doesn't seem too unreasonable, providing you are eating back exercise calories.

I was before eating low carb high protein, but i think now i need to change it up a bit!! and i might be low on sodium, i didn't track macros or anything, i just had a food diary. coming on MFP can be a headache to find food etc :/

1500 is what i was aiming for including exercise. :)

so i wouldn't be eating 1500 for the day and then burn 500 cals and have only 1000 to live off.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Maybe try more carbs and make sure you're getting at least 2300 mgs of sodium and see if that helps?

You don't use the food diary on this site? It tracks macros and sodium for you.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to eat low-carb? Are you eating back exercise calories? Are you low on sodium?

1500 for a daily calorie goal doesn't seem too unreasonable, providing you are eating back exercise calories.

I was before eating low carb high protein, but i think now i need to change it up a bit!! and i might be low on sodium, i didn't track macros or anything, i just had a food diary.

1500 is what i was aiming for including exercise.

so i wouldn't be eating 1500 for the day and then burn 500 cals and have only 1000 to live off.

Dizziness can be symptom of many things. Maybe look into increasing your calories to maintenance and decreasing your exercise till after your doctor gets back in touch with you on your blood work results. Make sure you are hydrating as well.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about what you say your calorie intake is. MFP is set to give you a daily calorie goal (here, 1500 for you), and then you eat the additional calories you burn for exercise that day. So in your example, if you burn 500 calories by exercising, you should eat 1500 calories plus 500 calories for a total of 2000 calories that day. You will still lose weight by doing this, because your net calories still have you in a deficit.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Are you properly hydrated?
  • lollypoppet
    Options
    Hi All, after a lot of seeing the doctors, everything is fine, they just reckon i picked up a little viral infection which explains the dizziness, but apart from that all my tests came back normal which is great.

I still need to watch my diet though! To make sure i'm eating enough and correctly
  • lollypoppet
    Options
    I'm confused about what you say your calorie intake is. MFP is set to give you a daily calorie goal (here, 1500 for you), and then you eat the additional calories you burn for exercise that day. So in your example, if you burn 500 calories by exercising, you should eat 1500 calories plus 500 calories for a total of 2000 calories that day. You will still lose weight by doing this, because your net calories still have you in a deficit.

Thank you! I always thought it was the opposite way, thanks fo explaining :) I'm not a fan of counting calories.
  • lollypoppet
    Options
    So, if my maintenance cals are 1600 cals for instance, but i have weightlifted, does that mean my daily intake should be around 2000 because i lifted?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    So, if my maintenance cals are 1600 cals for instance, but i have weightlifted, does that mean my daily intake should be around 2000 because i lifted?

As I said in your other thread, you may benefit from reading this article to help you set your goals up: https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-math.html/