Is coffee bad for you?

Options

Replies

• bamadwl
    bamadwl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love decaf coffee straight up black. That way the caffeine is minimal and my body doesn't have to process a lot of goop that I used to put in it like artificial sweetner, non dairy creamer & other flavorings. I drink 2 to 3 cups in the evenings and it helps curb my appetite when I have the most trouble with evening snack cravings and it helps me mellow out without keeping me awake. Side note: too much caffeine causes me to have heart palpatations also, so hooray for decaf!
  • rachgleeson
    rachgleeson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Its bad for me as i suffer with panic attacks so cant drink it.

But i dont see the harm in a couple of cups a day, its only the caffeine in it which can cause some problems to some people. So if you enjoy it drink it (without cream :wink:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I love decaf coffee straight up black. That way the caffeine is minimal and my body doesn't have to process a lot of goop that I used to put in it like artificial sweetner, non dairy creamer & other flavorings. I drink 2 to 3 cups in the evenings and it helps curb my appetite when I have the most trouble with evening snack cravings and it helps me mellow out without keeping me awake. Side note: too much caffeine causes me to have heart palpatations also, so hooray for decaf!

When they were trying to figure out what was wrong with my heart my doctor ORDERED me to drink lots of coffee and skip as much sleep as possible. He said it would cause enough stress on my heart to trigger the problems I was having.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The caffeine part of it can be a pain in the *kitten* for me and some of my family members. I'm so sensitive to it that if I drink more than 2 cups in the morning I'm rediculously wired and irritable. And if I have any caffeine after noon, I'll be up half the night. Seriously, it's annoying! Especially since Hubs is the exact opposite. He can drink a big cup of coffee and then go take a nap. :rolleyes:

But no, I think generally coffee in and of itself is not bad for you.
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    No, I've been studying it every morning for 20 something years and I have concrete evidence that it's good for you if you like being awesome at life.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

When they were trying to figure out what was wrong with my heart my doctor ORDERED me to drink lots of coffee and skip as much sleep as possible. He said it would cause enough stress on my heart to trigger the problems I was having.

Seems like an odd take on the "first, do no harm" mantra. "Here, do the stuff that makes your heart go dumb and then we'll figure it out later."
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    The caffeine part of it can be a pain in the *kitten* for me and some of my family members. I'm so sensitive to it that if I drink more than 2 cups in the morning I'm rediculously wired and irritable. And if I have any caffeine after noon, I'll be up half the night. Seriously, it's annoying! Especially since Hubs is the exact opposite. He can drink a big cup of coffee and then go take a nap. :rolleyes:

But no, I think generally coffee in and of itself is not bad for you.

I have the same problem. Switch to Teeccino.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    its fine or even good for you.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

Seems like an odd take on the "first, do no harm" mantra. "Here, do the stuff that makes your heart go dumb and then we'll figure it out later."

That was my take on it too. :P

On the plus side, they DID figure out what was wrong. So... that's good?
  • katz22
    katz22 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, too much coffee is bad , I sometimes gradually increase (unintentionally) up to about 10 cups a day (spaced through the day) but then I start getting more anxious, if I get nervous about stuff I am very twitchy, quality of sleep gets worse, I end up drinking more water as I get a dry mouth, also it starts giving me stomach ache and I start to not feel "normal" without the cup in the morning. Normally at this point I decide I am drinking too much coffee, I cut it out completely (and any caffeine sources) for a week. I get headaches and feel lethargic for a few days, but at the end of the week I feel much more "awake" consistently throughout the whole day, and my sleep is better. For me having one or two cups a day allows me to just have the positive effects of the caffeine. On a completely different note do any other females think that the taste of coffee changes depending on how near they are to TOM? I never experienced this until after I stopped taking bc pills. Before taking them coffee tasted like coffee every day. whilst on the bc pills, I could only drink decaff. It's as if my sense of taste has changed permanently, it also stopped me being able to use sweetners. They all taste bitter to me now, even after discontinuing the bc pills.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    On a completely different note do any other females think that the taste of coffee changes depending on how near they are to TOM? I never experienced this until after I stopped taking bc pills. Before taking them coffee tasted like coffee every day. whilst on the bc pills, I could only drink decaff. It's as if my sense of taste has changed permanently, it also stopped me being able to use sweetners. They all taste bitter to me now, even after discontinuing the bc pills.

Yes, this is due to the hormonal fluctuations during your monthly cycle (estrogen and progesterone). Progesterone is the hormone which causes food cravings/aversions during pregnancy. Also, if you are trying to get pregnant/are pregnant the caffeine in coffee is very bad for baby. (Trying myself and had to give up 7 of my 8cups a day LOL)
  • joshriggs11
    joshriggs11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There has been so many studies on this that confirm coffee and the right amount is not only not bad for you but also slightly good for your health some of the caffeine and coffee can boost your metabolism and help with skin irritation however it does nothing for your breath LOL
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Definitely

I heard, this one time, a guy got hit in the head with a big jar of coffee.
    He died
  • Ziaki
    Ziaki Posts: 18 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    When I had a personal trainer he told me taking the calories from the coffee is better than drinking a zero calorie monster every day.

I use hot chocolate powder instead of just straight sugar though. At least it has some calcium in it and it makes me feel more full.
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Coffee is good and it’s good for you, real coffee that is!
  • osche731
    osche731 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    penrbrown wrote: »
    Oh brother. Here we go.

I've been drinking coffee for better than 30 years. And, I drink A LOT. If it was bad for me, I should know.

All the research in all the studies all over the world is inconclusive. Therefore, all you will get are peoples opinions on what they think which is based on a pop culture magazine they read somewhere, or in a news clip on TV. But, there is no conclusive evidence either way.

So,. drink it. Don't drink it. Doesn't matter.

I'm intolerant to caffeine. That's pretty conclusive. For me. It's bad. Period.

But, that's different right. The coffee isn't bad, generally for people, only for you.

People with a peanut allergy, yes, a peanut is bad for them. But, for 99.9% of everyone else, the peanut is awesome and has good fats.

Let's keep this in the proper perspective. We're not talking about YOU. Were talking about if coffee is generally bad for humans to consume.

Please see above.

If it raises an individuals blood pressure it's bad.
    If it doesn't, it isn't.

So that's my general opinion of it.

Umm... exercise raises your blood pressure during the time of activity, does that mean it's bad for me?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    osche731 wrote: »
    penrbrown wrote: »
    Oh brother. Here we go.

I've been drinking coffee for better than 30 years. And, I drink A LOT. If it was bad for me, I should know.

All the research in all the studies all over the world is inconclusive. Therefore, all you will get are peoples opinions on what they think which is based on a pop culture magazine they read somewhere, or in a news clip on TV. But, there is no conclusive evidence either way.

So,. drink it. Don't drink it. Doesn't matter.

I'm intolerant to caffeine. That's pretty conclusive. For me. It's bad. Period.

But, that's different right. The coffee isn't bad, generally for people, only for you.

People with a peanut allergy, yes, a peanut is bad for them. But, for 99.9% of everyone else, the peanut is awesome and has good fats.

Let's keep this in the proper perspective. We're not talking about YOU. Were talking about if coffee is generally bad for humans to consume.

Please see above.

If it raises an individuals blood pressure it's bad.
    If it doesn't, it isn't.

So that's my general opinion of it.

Umm... exercise raises your blood pressure during the time of activity, does that mean it's bad for me?

That post was from over five years ago and he/she hasn't even logged into MFP in almost a year and a half. I doubt you'll get a response from him/her.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    No osche it doesn't - that is a natural and normal temporary reaction to excercise

For some people with BP problems and/or sensitivity to caffeine, then caffeine is bad for their blood pressure.

For most people, sensible amounts of caffeine (you know, context and dosage) are neither good nor bad

For those who want or need to, there is also decaf coffee.

(yes I know thread is 6 years old - but reply is to recent post ;) )
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    For me, a moderate amount of coffee is one full pot in my home coffee maker each day. For me, one 'full' pot pours fresh water into the reservoir until it reaches the overflow holes. My Stanley thermos holds 64 ounces. That pot is just about 64 ounces. It's in balance, as everything in the universe should be.