Name any diet gimmicks or fads you have ever tried.:)

Options
I think most of us at one time or another have fallen prey to a lose weight quick scheme. I know I have in my past. That is why it feels sooooo good to finally be on the right path, slow and steady. Just eating less, and exercising more and doing it right. Simple, slower, and sane.
Here are a couple things I have tried in my past:
Drinking apple cider vinegar
Putting cayenne pepper on everything
Garcinia Cambogia
The Army diet
Walking around with a solar belt
Master Cleanse

Replies

• nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I tried a diet called the Sunshine Diet when I was a teenager. It was almost nothing but hamburger and oranges. I think it went like this:

breakfast: orange, 3 oz hamburger patty
    lunch: orange, 3 oz hamburger patty
    dinner: 3 oz hamburger patty, salad

Of course I lost weight, I was barely eating anything. It was probably around 900 calories a day.

Shockingly I gained it back!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Posts after mine reminded me of others. I can't remember the kind of "tea" now. It was made by buying stuff in bulk at GNC, boil it, strain it and put it in a pitcher. It was the secret sauce that would keep you from being hungry while you ate a reduced calorie diet. I actually think that had a reasonably normal selection of foods but it was regimented; you were supposed to eat specific meals on each day of the week. That lasted maybe 2 weeks.

I have used OTC diet pills in the past.

I have done unstructured crash diets numerous times.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I tried the low/no fat thing and also slim fast. I also tried eating lots of the little frozen diet dinners at the grocery store. Nadda!
    About 20 years ago I went on a low carb high protein diet, andvusing real butter and other fats were fine. You were also to drink grapefruit juice before two meals. NO calorie counting at all, eat until full. I dropped weight like a rock! I kept it off for quite a few years, until I hit menopause and developed thyroid disease. Gained 75 pounds and have been struggling to lose it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Ayds,
    Slim Fast,
    Jenny Craig,
    What else you got in the last 50 years?
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I tried the keto fad for almost a year, about 17 years ago. Lost weight, but couldn't see giving up some of my favorite foods forever for no good reason.

I don't remember if this diet had a name that many years ago. It was before Atkins. Do you?
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I’ve done many different eating styles over the years but I wouldn’t call them “fads” really because each had its benefits and can be good for some people (south beach, keto, paleo, intermittent fasting)

The one total fad I fell for though was raspberry ketones. I spent over $100 on those darned gummies lol. At least they tasted good
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    2aycocks wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I tried the keto fad for almost a year, about 17 years ago. Lost weight, but couldn't see giving up some of my favorite foods forever for no good reason.

I don't remember if this diet had a name that many years ago. It was before Atkins. Do you?

I started it when Atkins was all the big thing. Going to back to many, many years before that, it has been known as the Banting Diet.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Beverly hills diet (one fruit for the whole day)
    Nutrisytem
    Atkins (i did lose weight but did not stay with it)
  • ihaveafreshstarteveryday
    Options
    I have tried Atkins diet, Weight Watchers, Slim Fast, Military diet but I know with eating healthy and watching my portions, I will succeed and will become a way of life
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I’ve done many different eating styles over the years but I wouldn’t call them “fads” really because each had its benefits and can be good for some people (south beach, keto, paleo, intermittent fasting)

The one total fad I fell for though was raspberry ketones. I spent over $100 on those darned gummies lol. At least they tasted good

I have a Facebook friend that sells ketones. I think it’s a drink. She’s lost a lot of weight, but I don’t believe for a second it would work for me.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hmm... In high school I did the Special K diet. I think they told you to replace two meals per day with the cereal. I lost weight...it got me into a deficit. But I didn't know why obviously.
  • NewChapterInMyLife
    NewChapterInMyLife Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I forgot about some of these:) i also did the Slim Fast thing.