I am a binge eater in recovery

Options
They say you have to admit to having the problem in order to get better from it, so here I am. Unfortunately, I cant be as honest with the people in my life, so here I am instead. I suppose I should give some background information now. Sorry, I am not entirely sure what I should be doing. Anyway, I started binge eating around the time I started dieting, which would take us back to Grade 10. Its been a rocky road since then, but I have managed to become better in some ways. However, I am still trying to figure myself out. I don't know if my binge eating comes from a psychological place, or if its medical. When I say medical, I wonder often if I have PMDD , or some sort of hormonal imbalance because I have noticed some patterns with my behaviours. Anyway, I have taken it to the family doctor, and am now on anti depressants.
In short, I would just like some friends on my journey, and Id like to offer my support as well. I find talking it out to be so beneficial, so if youd like someone to chat with , dont be afraid to add. We dont have to walk alone, right

Replies

• beatthebinge3464
    beatthebinge3464 Posts: 25 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Oh, I should add that I am not following any sort of strict diet. In fact, strict diets are an absolute trigger and trap for me,so I will just be eating clean. I also have the tendency of focusing on weight loss ( where its not needed) which often causes me to restrict my calories into a binge, so I have my calories set at maintenance. I did recently binge, so any weight loss will be binge related weight. My overall goal is to quit binge eating and quit with the dieting mind set. I want to embrace myself, my healthy self, as there is nothing wrong with at the weight I am at ( I am a healthy BMI )
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Your awareness of triggers and consequences of strict dieting are excellent. Have you read Brain over Binge by K Hansen or The Binge Code by Ali Kerr? Be good to yourself, forgiving and compassionate.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You already seem to be getting a good grasp on things that trigger you and not to do. Stick to those and by all means stay off the scale.

Binge eating can be akin to binge drinking. It's a way to cope with stressors. Not a healthy way, but what some people do. My best advice is to find a therapist who knows how to work with people in your situation. They can help you deal with situations that are anxiety provoking. In the mean time, eating healthy foods. And No calorie counting or weighing. And eat throughout the day so you don't get so hungry that you grab anything in sight. Good luck to you! You can do this!!