Let’s talk KETO!

Options

Replies

• vickarye
    vickarye Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Im day to into keto amd have stayed under 35 carbs and met my fat and protine intake for both days is it normal at this point to have a headach and be shakey or have "keto flu " symptomes or am i doing something wrong ?
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    vickarye wrote: »
    Im day to into keto amd have stayed under 35 carbs and met my fat and protine intake for both days is it normal at this point to have a headach and be shakey or have "keto flu " symptomes or am i doing something wrong ?

Are you having them or Not having them? First two days of reduced carbs I had a dreadful headache
  • vickarye
    Options
    I have a headach and im shakey i jumped right in to this i didnt cut back first. But i wasent sure if it was to soon to be having those kind of symptems
  • LollyInBR
    LollyInBR Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Recommendations for reliable Keto websites so I can research whether I want to do this? Any help appreciated.
  • lissetmba
    lissetmba Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a headach and im shakey i jumped right in to this i didnt cut back first. But i wasent sure if it was to soon to be having those kind of symptems

You are dehydrated so drink water or better yet Powerade Zero which will help replace your electrolytes. Same thing happened to me... increased carbs to 50 and immediately felt better... my body got the hint after a few days and now 20g or less is fine. You just shocked your body. Give it time and electrolytes.
  • lissetmba
    Options
    LollyInBR wrote: »
    Recommendations for reliable Keto websites so I can research whether I want to do this? Any help appreciated.

I joined Keto for Beginners group on Facebook and have learned a ton. Plus it's a community of beginners like us motivating each other.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Ugh. No thanks. 80/20 for me. I eat 'healthy' most of the time and allow myself treats in moderation. I never feel denied or deprived and I can enjoy food without adhering to a strict regiment.
  • Eric23185
    Eric23185 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    lissetmba wrote: »
    I'm a newbie. 3 days in and I feel terrible... nauseous, dizzy, lethargic. I'm trying to get passed it, but this feels horrible right now.

5 days in here. I definitely understand. Everybody says once you pass the "keto flu" stage, that your energy levels come back and you feel great. I hope it comes soon.
  • vickarye
    Options
    I had been drinking water but it was not helping . the poweraid zero helped alot no more headache. I never realized how nany carbs are in everything. But im doing good sticking to it. So for all the other newbies just dont give up. I dont feel 100% better but im sure in a day or 2 i will be good to go .
  • lizzyfrizzy
    lizzyfrizzy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    KateTK649 wrote: »
    Me too! I am new to keto. It is against everything I know but I am loving it and loosing weight. 1200 is just what this app has preset. Most keto sites say 1500 to 1800 for women. It is so tempting to go lower but I do not want my body to stop burning.
    KateTK649 wrote: »
    Me too! I am new to keto. It is against everything I know but I am loving it and loosing weight. 1200 is just what this app has preset. Most keto sites say 1500 to 1800 for women. It is so tempting to go lower but I do not want my body to stop burning.

• lizzyfrizzy
    lizzyfrizzy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi!! What are you “Keto sites”? I would like to check them out! I had gestational diabetes and am at risk for Type 2 so I want to change my nutrition! Plus my baby turns one this week so it’s time to get moving!! Thanks in advance!!
  • lissetmba
    Options
    I had been drinking water but it was not helping . the poweraid zero helped alot no more headache. I never realized how nany carbs are in everything. But im doing good sticking to it. So for all the other newbies just dont give up. I dont feel 100% better but im sure in a day or 2 i will be good to go .

So glad you hear that helped! You needed electrolytes! Today I had 6g... I wasn't trying to go that low... it just happened naturally. It's weird... I'm just not hungry like before. I forced myself to have snapper and broccoli tonight.
  • vickarye
    Options

I tried a simple fat bomb recipe amd it called for honey as the sweetner ... Amd this morning i saw on a list of things not to eat on keto that you should not have honey ... Have i ruened the day and the fat bombs or is honey ok ?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

I tried a simple fat bomb recipe amd it called for honey as the sweetner ... Amd this morning i saw on a list of things not to eat on keto that you should not have honey ... Have i ruened the day and the fat bombs or is honey ok ?

Total carbs is what matters, not the type.
  • meemanders
    meemanders Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Quick Question to nvmomketo (or anyone that may have an answer): When I first started keto in Jan, 2018 I saw a tremendous and wonderful change in my blood sugar levels. So much so that my primary care dr. took me off of my 4 glyburide pills and am watching my metformin. However, this past 30 days my sugar has went back up to the mid 200's on fasting, and around 275 before meals in the evening (4 or more hours after my lunch). I do have a cheat meal or a cheat day about every 7-10 days, but I have done that since the beginning, ( I feel it helps me keep the metabolism up). So nothing is new in my diet. Any ideas why my glucose has went back up after such success in that area? I'm worried and stumped. Most diets will work if you stick to your guns, but I chose keto to lose weight AND help control my blood sugar. Any help would be appreciated

How’s your protein levels? If they are too high relative to your needs, gluconeogenesis can happen. That’s where your body converts proteins into glucose and then stores it just like carbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    meemanders wrote: »
    Quick Question to nvmomketo (or anyone that may have an answer): When I first started keto in Jan, 2018 I saw a tremendous and wonderful change in my blood sugar levels. So much so that my primary care dr. took me off of my 4 glyburide pills and am watching my metformin. However, this past 30 days my sugar has went back up to the mid 200's on fasting, and around 275 before meals in the evening (4 or more hours after my lunch). I do have a cheat meal or a cheat day about every 7-10 days, but I have done that since the beginning, ( I feel it helps me keep the metabolism up). So nothing is new in my diet. Any ideas why my glucose has went back up after such success in that area? I'm worried and stumped. Most diets will work if you stick to your guns, but I chose keto to lose weight AND help control my blood sugar. Any help would be appreciated

How’s your protein levels? If they are too high relative to your needs, gluconeogenesis can happen. That’s where your body converts proteins into glucose and then stores it just like carbs.

Glucenogenesis is a demand driven process and doesn't really happen unless it needs to. In any event only 60% of glucenogenesis is protein, the rest is from fats.

And during dieting, not macro is as important as protein.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    meemanders wrote: »

Glucenogenesis is a demand driven process and doesn't really happen unless it needs to. In any event only 60% of glucenogenesis is protein, the rest is from fats.

And during dieting, not macro is as important as protein.

I agree with this. Protein may lower your ketone levels a bit, but it is a caloric deficit that causes weight loss and not ketone levels. Watching your protein intake is mainly important if you are using ketones to treat medical issues like epilepsy, brain injury or dementia. For weight loss, low ketones usually don't affect much at all, and moderate to high protein will help preserve lean mass.
  • vickarye
    Options
    Most of what i have read say you should see reaults in the first week of keto but aside from feeling crappy for a few days and peeing alot i have not lost any weight or noticed any thing different . any thoughts