Is the idea that we should gain just a little as we age a fallacy?

Options
It's generally accepted that we (women in particular) will inevitably gain some weight as we age, and that if it is not too much (not sure how much exactly), it isn't a problem. Or at least that is what I pick up through the media etc.

Is this a fallacy? Can anyone comment on this - obviously there will be less muscle but what about fat gain?

Replies

• Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Thanks @AnnPT - I am just speculating too - and I do see your point about how individual factors are very important. Also, like you, I have reached my first goal weight and decided that I want to go for more - so now losing that final 7lb.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I guess it is individual too - when I was 20 I was 46 kg which was actually below bottom of healthy BMI range.

Several children and several decades later had crept up to 72 - which was overweight with BMI of about 28.

I lost 10 kg and now sit at 23 - I am happy with that and I don't ever expect or want to get to the weight I was 3 decades ago.
    I think at my age a healthier BMI is not at the bottom of the range. - not for me anyway.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    There was a study that people who were a little overweight lived longer. However, followup studies showed that the people who lived longer, were the ones with more muscle mass, not fat.....

I'll see if I can find the reference.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    We'll here's an article regarding muscle mass, study linked.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/older-adults-build-muscle-and-271651

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    As Ann mentioned, I think the notion stems from the idea that a higher starting weight seemed to be a better predictor of surviving a wasting type of illness and assumed a lot of things like having a higher body fat content as opposed to muscle mass.

Newer studies that control for those variables dispute the findings, IIRC.

I weigh less now at almost 56 than I did at my school weigh in when I was 13 years old, and I'm working on losing more vanity weight.

Muscle is important to me, though, and I take pains to protect it by lifting weights and keeping an eye on my protein intake. I think that's far more important to keep an eye on as you age than packing on a few pounds of fat.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I've ever heard it said that a person *should* gain weight as they age, but I think the health risks associated with extra weight may go down with time. I've used this calculator before- https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/ - which takes age & gender into account, and it seems to suggest that, as a person ages, the healthy range for one's weight becomes broader, though I wonder if that just reflects that an older person has less time for weight-related health concerns to crop up?

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    We'll here's an article regarding muscle mass, study linked.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/older-adults-build-muscle-and-271651

While I think there's great value and the point being made, it's worth noting that this is a correlation, not established as a cause. In particular, muscle mass may also be correlated with other beneficial health practices in those people.

Not that I'd argue against increasing muscle mass at any age! Strength is functionally useful, and the people I see around me who are strong at older ages are not just more independent, they're healthier in a diversity of ways (fewer drugs needed, fewer surgeries, faster recovery, and more - though this is likely a result of multiple healthy habits). It doesn't much matter which direction the causation arrows point, in this complex of positive behaviors and positive outcomes. The net result is worth pursuing.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I'm not sure I've ever heard it said that a person *should* gain weight as they age, but I think the health risks associated with extra weight may go down with time. I've used this calculator before- https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/ - which takes age & gender into account, and it seems to suggest that, as a person ages, the healthy range for one's weight becomes broader, though I wonder if that just reflects that an older person has less time for weight-related health concerns to crop up?

Sort of related, there is a new study out that says a man at age 50 who doesn't smoke, has a healthy BMI, exercises regularly, eats a healthy diet and does not drink excessively has a life expectancy 12.2 years longer. It has to be all 5 and I don't know what the criteria for the subjective ones is; I read an article about the study rather than the study itself. But what is related was a comment made (I think by Gupta in a side bar video) that getting there at 60 or 70 is almost as good if you have dodged the bullets (cancer, heart disease and diabetes) so far. It was all about lowering your likelihood of dying from the common causes.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Physiologically there is little difference in metabolism. The primary driver being body mass.

Socially speaking it is normal, understood, and accepted, but I believe that is changing recently and more are not accepting diminished activity as they age.

So you could use it as an excuse, but it's not a very good one.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Don't know how true it is, but I have read that the human body has a biological propensity for greater fat storage as we age. Not that being overly fat is acceptable, but that a 40 year old male for example might have an ideal BF% of 15% vs a 20 year old who might have an ideal BF% of sub 10% and that much of this has to do with hormones.

I can maintain pretty well at 12-15% BF...I have a tremendous amount of difficulty dropping below that and I've always kind of hypothesized that it's a biological aging thing and that my 43 year old body doesn't want to be super lean...IDK. When I was in my 20s I had zero problem being sub 10%...but then again, I was a lot more active in my daily life though I did very little in the way of deliberate exercise and I ate whatever I could get my hands on.
  • nettiklive
    nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't know the biology, but from personal experience of what I see around me, plenty of young women effortlessly maintain a trim body with no exercise and lightly active or fairly sedentary lifestyles. But only very very few older women keep the same shape, and those are usually ones who are hardcore into fitness and make it a huge part of their lives. I'd say 95% of women over 50 I meet have a tummy and generally some excess fat and flabbiness all around. My maternal grandmother for instance, was borderline underweight all her life; never exercised ('fitness' wasn't really a thing for women back then as it is now) never mind lifted weights, and maintained a slender figure with a washboard-flat stomach and tiny waist even after giving birth. Once she hit her 70s she started complaining that she's gaining weight in spite of eating less and less (she always ate healthy and was never a big eater) and had trouble losing the 20 or so lbs that crept up around her middle.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this and since I am turning 50 in a few months I should probably look at this closer.

When we age what I do understand is body fat ranges can change, bone density, muscle mass, etc. I would have to look at this closer from body fat point of view, since we have 3 types of fat: subcutaneous (under the skin), visceral (around the organs), and intramuscular (in between muscle). I am assuming that we can have the same subcutaneous body fat, but the visceral and intramuscular fat may increase as you age. I have to look at this closer when I have more time. :smile: