Does a chronic condition effect you calorie needs?

Options
I have Ulcerative Colitis and was wondering if that effects what my daily caloric intake should be? I do know that when you are sick or injured your body requires more calories for the extra work to repair itself. So does that mean I only need extra calories when I'm having an active flare, when I'm having any type of noticeable effects, or always? Oh and does anyone else who has UC noticed that some of the healthy foods, fruit, veggies, whole grains, cause GI distress? Thanks for any insight you may be able to give.

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You do have different dietary and nutritional needs than most of the people using this site. You should do some research and include your doctor/nutritionist in setting some goals. My understanding is that the flare ups and the way your body processes foods can cause nutrient deficiencies. People on this site would not be the best ones to help you determine your needs.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    That depends on your situation. Do you take medication currently? If you are medicated for it, your body should be absorbing nutrients normally. If you are managing it without medication, you may need a higher calorie intake. I'm definitely no expert. Maybe ask your doctor?
  • vulrich93
    Options
    I don't really know much about it, but my co-worker has inflamed bowels and she's trying the FODMAPs diet. If you google it, or 'ulcerative colitis diet' it could give you some ideas. :)
  • soontobeskinnysara
    soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's Disease and have met with a nutritionist before. It's a good idea to figure out what vitamins and minerals your body is lacking, and to set a solid calorie goal per day.
  • Lamemind
    Lamemind Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't impact your caloric needs significantly for you to worry about it. Talk to your doctor before starting a diet, you will require more aggressive vitamin and electrolyte replenishment. Try a very conservative model to weight loss, don't be too aggressive with it, dieting will cause more flares but in the long run it will be better for you.

Disclaimer: I don't have UC and I am not a medical doctor