Hello fellow low carb/ high protein-ers!

Options
I was just told this week that my blood sugar is in a pre-diabetic stage. I have been eating alot of chicken and veggies for meals but am already getting burnt out. I sit at a desk all day and try to have a small snack every 2 hours or so. Any suggestions on snacks? Right now I'm doing almonds, yogurt and lots of water. How about breakfast? My oatmeal is 24 carbs which is about half of my carb intake a day!!! HELP!

Please add me if you are on the same journey!

3064920.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• kittrelle
    Options
    I'm on Atkins and right now at about 35 carbs a day...I move up 5 more each week.

Anyway...why just chicken? If it's not a dietary necessity, try some other meats. Beef, fish, pork, etc. How about eggs for breakfast? Scrambled, hard boiled, quiches, casseroles , you name it they're tasy. The hardboiled ones are good for snacks as well.

One snack I LOVE is a chocolate muffin in a minute (MIM). You take 1/4 cup of flaxseed meal, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 2 packs of splenda, dash of cinnamon and 1TBS baking cocoa and mix it in a mug. Then add 1 beaten egg, 2tsp butter and 2tsp cream and stir. Microwave for 1 minute and it puffs up like crazy!! pop it out and eat. It will take the shape of whatever dish you use. If I want it more bread-like I use a square container. You can make it ahead to take with you...you could even leave the cream and cocoa out for a regular mim!

How about cheese and berries?? Or Greek yogurt...There are so many different snacks you could be eating. I love roll ups with deli turkey, salami, and lettuce or cucumber. Check out some low carb recipe sites, one of my faves is http://blog.yourlighterside.com/p/eats-recipes.html
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Here's what I tend to eat...

Fruit: Berries are the lowest, relatively, in carbs. I love me some strawberries.
    Veggies: I eat a lot of steamed broccoli or cauliflower. Those are my faves. Onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes get eaten a lot, too.
    Meats: The whole spectrum. Chicken, pork, beef (93% lean), and lots of fish/seafood.
    Cheese: I try not to go overboard on this. 1-3 servings a day, at most.
    Eggs: I get burnt out quickly on eggs, so I only have this as a meal a few times a month.

Snacks: I like to take some deli meat, like maybe a slice of turkey and a slice of salami, spread some whipped cream cheese on it (spreads easier than regular cream cheese), and roll it up. Or I really like the wasabi & soy flavored almonds.
  • tara4487
    tara4487 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rw4hawks
    rw4hawks Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    As far as snacks, either a small tin of smoked oysters or sardines.

Of course, that might not be to everyone's taste.
  • xalligator
    xalligator Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A spoonful of braunschweiger/liverwurst is great. Some sodium though.
  • Winnie45
    Winnie45 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    For an afternoon 'at-work' snack, I like two boiled eggs with hummus in place of the yolk. There are so many flavors of hummus these days that it's not boring to have it often. Also, it keeps me feeling full long enough to fix a healthy dinner when I get home instead of carbing out. Another easy one is sliced apple with low fat cheese. Usually I do 1/2 apple with one ounce cheese thinly sliced.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    My fave low carby snacks:

Smoked mackrel pate: Mix some soft cheese with a fillet of flaked smoked mackrel and a squeeze of lemon juice (add some black pepper or a pinch of cayenne too) and mix together- eat with celery/ cucumber sticks.

Ham & cheese rolled in a lettuce leaf with a little mayo or mustard.

Marinated olives & Feta cheese (You can do this at home, its cheaper- chop your feta and mix into mixed olives, add evoo & mixed herbs/ oregano and leave to infuse).

Pork crunch/Pork scratchings (Pork rinds in US speak)

Smoked salmon on cucumber rounds.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I generally do eggs or plain greek yogurt for breakfast. Definitely increase your protein and get that sugar down girly! Good luck!
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Bump for ideas!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Just wondering why you're doing a low carb and low fat diet as well? Most people who do low carb, usually replace them with fats because the body starts to use them as the primary energy source. If you don't get enough fats in your diet, you might not have any energy.

Try eating more nuts, or adding some olive oil or coconut oil to the things you eat.

Hope this helps.
  • caitastic24
    caitastic24 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FitMissVicky
    FitMissVicky Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    breakfasts: greek yogurt, toast and cheese, eggs.
    snacks: pumpkin seeds, almonds, cashews are staples in my office stash. Also hummus, greek yogurt, bean dip, cheese and crackers. If I liked boiled eggs I'd do that, but I don't really like them. Almond butter and crackers or celery (my kid has a peanut allergy so I avoid peanut butter).

I love the olives and feta idea. definitely going to do that one!