Green Smoothie Detox - Make Fresh Or What Store Bought Brand Do You Recommend?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited May 2018
    I'm trying to remember the last time I saw my dad eat a green vegetable in any way, shape, or form... In the summer, he'll make spinach or swiss chard latkes using stuff fresh from the garden. Otherwise? His main veggie consumption would be onions and tomatoes.

ETA: Oh, wait. He does eat stuffed cabbage and stuffed green peppers. My bad.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I can't believe I have read this entire ridiculous thread. Is the OP just trying to punk us? I was going to refute her allergy claims but I decided surely she's just screwing around with us.

Detoxing has been around for at least multiple decades so some people have to believe in it. All of these preservatives and artificial flavors building up in some mystery area of the bottle getting wiped out by powerful elixirs of health has a hip vibe to it, doesn't it?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    I can't believe I have read this entire ridiculous thread. Is the OP just trying to punk us? I was going to refute her allergy claims but I decided surely she's just screwing around with us.

Detoxing has been around for at least multiple decades so some people have to believe in it. All of these preservatives and artificial flavors building up in some mystery area of the bottle getting wiped out by powerful elixirs of health has a hip vibe to it, doesn't it?
    Very hip vibe indeed. But complete woo nonetheless, peddled by quacks/scammers:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-detox-scam-how-to-spot-it-and-how-to-avoid-it/

https://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/the-detox-delusion/

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    "What Do You Recommend?"

Not doing it. At all.

Why not?

Unnecessary, potentially harmful, and unpleasant.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Hi,
    I make green juices or smoothies in my blender. The basic premise for me is for the majority of the drink to have greens (spinach, kale, parsley, etc.), then add a very small amount of fruit for some sweetness. Fresh ginger can also be wonderfully energizing. These green drinks have helped me to lose weight, consume the recommended amount of vegetables, and feel healthier. If you can commit to these drinks for a few days, you may come to crave them. I avoid store bought/pre-made for various reasons.

Thank you! The ingredients you mention are on the infographic and I actually discussed going on a green smoothie detox with my naturopath who stated it has a lot of health benefits including weight loss. :)

A naturopath would say that. They have no actual training in nutrition or medicine that actually works. I'm surprised your naturopath isn't selling them to you directly, to be honest. Also you'll gain any weight back when you go back to eating food again, since you'll be putting mass back into your body.

The focus is not weight loss. My question is regarding making it fresh or go for store bought brand.

And you're trusting a pretend doctor for advice. You have a built-in detox system that's running optimally - if it wasn't, you'd be in the emergency room. It's literally not going to do anything for you, and if it's getting nutrients that you want, why not eat the whole food which your body is built to break down and use, instead of liquids where half the good stuff is already tossed out and the rest won't get as absorbed fully into your system as it would if you actually ate the fruit and veg?

:) How do you know I have a detox system that is running optimally?

You would know.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Hi,
    I make green juices or smoothies in my blender. The basic premise for me is for the majority of the drink to have greens (spinach, kale, parsley, etc.), then add a very small amount of fruit for some sweetness. Fresh ginger can also be wonderfully energizing. These green drinks have helped me to lose weight, consume the recommended amount of vegetables, and feel healthier. If you can commit to these drinks for a few days, you may come to crave them. I avoid store bought/pre-made for various reasons.

Thank you! The ingredients you mention are on the infographic and I actually discussed going on a green smoothie detox with my naturopath who stated it has a lot of health benefits including weight loss. :)

A naturopath would say that. They have no actual training in nutrition or medicine that actually works. I'm surprised your naturopath isn't selling them to you directly, to be honest. Also you'll gain any weight back when you go back to eating food again, since you'll be putting mass back into your body.

The focus is not weight loss. My question is regarding making it fresh or go for store bought brand.

And you're trusting a pretend doctor for advice. You have a built-in detox system that's running optimally - if it wasn't, you'd be in the emergency room. It's literally not going to do anything for you, and if it's getting nutrients that you want, why not eat the whole food which your body is built to break down and use, instead of liquids where half the good stuff is already tossed out and the rest won't get as absorbed fully into your system as it would if you actually ate the fruit and veg?

:) How do you know I have a detox system that is running optimally?

You would know.

Your use of the phrase "detox system" aside, the fact that you're sitting here typing this is a clue...