Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• bron_89
    bron_89 Posts: 33
    Options
    I have a friend who lost over 100 lbs doing the Atkins diet. He has told me he ate like a pound of bacon a day doing this diet. I find it so hard to believe that you can do that but it works....he is proof.

I support what the Atkins diet is about when people do it right, but eating a pound of bacon a day? ... That's not at all what Dr. Atkins intended to encourage with his book.

I agree, you have to do it in a healthy manner!I know a man who went on 'Atkins' and all he ate was meat and nothin else, he'd cook whole pigs :/ he lost like 50 lb but ended up in hospital with a twisted bowel and ended up gaining all the weight back.
  • dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    ARRRGGGHHHH got a phone call yesterday that my friends mother lost her battle with breast cancer. This has just been an awful week, I'm still logging my food even though I'm totally blowing it. I definitely now know that stress is a major factor in my eating. Have a funeral this morning for my friend, then I'm sure another Monday. Say a quick prayer for me, I'm moving my daughter into her college dorm this weekend, I'm not giving up, just struggling a little.

To our poster with criticism, there is someone like you for every thing, your way is the only way. Please just leave our little forum alone and let us continue with our successes.
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ARRRGGGHHHH got a phone call yesterday that my friends mother lost her battle with breast cancer. This has just been an awful week, I'm still logging my food even though I'm totally blowing it. I definitely now know that stress is a major factor in my eating. Have a funeral this morning for my friend, then I'm sure another Monday. Say a quick prayer for me, I'm moving my daughter into her college dorm this weekend, I'm not giving up, just struggling a little.

To our poster with criticism, there is someone like you for every thing, your way is the only way. Please just leave our little forum alone and let us continue with our successes.

I am so sorry for your loss. We are all here for you! Stay strong!
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Your brain needs fat and cholesterol not carbs! Why don't people get this?
  • chelscc
    chelscc Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just restarted atkins and it's my 3rd day. Now I'm hoping I can make it to Thanksgiving without getting off! Will power is not my strength.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Well if you want to eat away all your brain cells on atkins. . . . ie no carbs for the brain to survive on .. . . that is up to you.

Well hello there Ms. Uninformed! Please, return to us once you've actually read up on the lifestyle, including the various doctor reports and writings on the subject of carbohydrates and what they do to your body, including but not limited to, increasing the risk of diabetes and heart disease.

Thank you for your 2 cents.
  • dittiepe
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just restarted atkins and it's my 3rd day. Now I'm hoping I can make it to Thanksgiving without getting off! Will power is not my strength.

welcome! You can do it, we'll help get you through :)
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Day 2 of atkins. since i jump started with a cleanse i am already in ketosis. i have to take my younger cousins to chuck e cheese and i have this fear that i will give in to the pizza and bread sticks. any advise?
  • dittiepe
    Options
    Day 2 of atkins. since i jump started with a cleanse i am already in ketosis. i have to take my younger cousins to chuck e cheese and i have this fear that i will give in to the pizza and bread sticks. any advise?

Go right for the salad bar. :)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Well if you want to eat away all your brain cells on atkins. . . . ie no carbs for the brain to survive on .. . . that is up to you.

The brain uses ketones for energy when you don't have any carbs available. It runs fine on it.

I don't follow Atkins, I follow Primal (there is low-carb and ketosis involved in weight loss). It looks like your 'disclaimer' didn't do a thing:

here's a great article regarding why fat is the body's preferred fuel. "The brain runs perfectly fine (maybe even optimally) on ketone bodies" - not an exact quote from Mark. I touted high-carb for quite a while. My research (always wanting to know why) is what led me to knocking most of the carbs. I get my carbs through vegetables, nuts, and very limited fruit.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/

Excerpt from Comments:
    <<Registered Dietitian wrote on May 23rd, 2011
    Where are your evidenced based articles to support all of your theories?? I thought excess calories = weight gain…not carbohydrates. Isn’t it true that fat provides 9kcal/g and carbohydrate provide 4kcal/g? Therefore, that would mean more fat= more calories..correct?? Our brains exclusively use carbohydrates for fuel…if we do not have carbs we rely on ketone bodies..which therefore our bodies go into ketoacidosis… Also, when we are in the anaerobic state…we only use carbohydrates as a source…such as a sprint or quick movements…you are saying if i have a low carb diet this will be more successful?? I do not understand. here is an article you can learn from. http://www.eatright.org/About/Content.aspx?id=8365

REPLY: As a RD, you should know better. Re-read Stryer, or Guyton Biochem books. You are still responsible for the info….Specifically pg. 770 in Stryer…integrated fuel metabolism
    Calories in vs. Calories out? The neurohormonal regulation of appetite destroys that idea. Satiety control in the body is a system-based entity…not linear. Humans are not “physics-beaker-experiments” aligned with the First Law of Thermodynamics. We loose heat/energy to the environment, we use energy to make energy, energy production uses enzymes…etc
    The brain can use ketone bodies for fuel very nicely. It does NOT exclusively use carbs for fuel. During starvation (in between meals, sleeping every night) and ketosis, kb replace glucose for the brain. 70% of the brain function can convert to kb use.
    And the heart prefers to use kb for its energy needs. It prefers to use acetoacetate to glucose. Heart, lungs, muscle, tissues prefer preferentially to use kb for energy needs. They run better on kb than glucose.
    Here’s an article YOU can learn from:
    http://www.jbc.org/content/285/34/25950.abstract
    Using kb for fuel, does not put us into ketoacidosis. This is a pathological state occurring in UNCONTROLLED ketosis. Ketosis occurs every night when you sleep. It’s part of fat-based energy metabolism. In ketoacidosis, the body accumulates keto acids that the pH of the blood is substantially decreased. Those are two vastly different metabolic states.
    Ketone bodies are relevant to neurological diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease, and the heart and brain operate 25% more efficiently using ketones as a source of energy. Research has also shown ketones play a role in reducing epileptic seizures with the high-fat, near-zero carbohydrate Ketogenic Diet.>>

And this:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear-mark-ketosis/

even if you don't follow Primal, Mark's Daily Apple has some great articles regarding carbs and ketosis. You can search the forum and archives for information, too.

Edit: GOOD LUCK ON YOUR INEVITABLE SUCCESSES!!
  • chelscc
    chelscc Posts: 29
    Options
    Just think about it, is their pizza actually worth it? That's how I would reason through it. And I'd drink a lot! Drinking always seems to help me shove through temptations!
  • kittrelle
    Options

C'mon, in Day 2 your resolve HAS to be better than Chucky Cheese's yucky pizza!! Now if it was Romeo's, I'd understand...J/K. Anyway, eat before you go!! I know when I'm in ketosis sometimes it's a struggle TO eat, not to abstain!! If you think you can't make it fry up some (legal) pepperoni before you go and also some cheese. It's pretty much the same thing...
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 5 of induction. I forgot to weight myself on day 1 lol!!!! But, since day 2, I've lost 4.8 pounds! That's only three and a half days!!! I wish I would have known my weight on day one, but whatever.

The fatigue is really getting to me but I think it has more to do with the fact that I've been getting only 6 hours max of sleep this week. Hopefully, my daughter will decide to sleep in tomorrow so that mommy can too!

Also, I tried one of those choc chip granola Advantage bars. Almost cried tears of joy. Mmmmmmmm........
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I loved your intro: I don't want to hear 2 cents about....

I'm not on Atkins but my sister works for Atkins. She manages questions regarding ATkins. So if people call in and same concern or question is brought up she investigates the common thread, so they can make new products people are looking for or issues people have come across with products.

:-)
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options

LOL! Please get educated before you start touting untruths. The brain survives on FAT not carbs.

The first post on this thread was directed at you. Please do not post here unless you support the Atkins lifestyle. Give me a break.

(Sorry, I know this was already stated by previous posters, but I couldn't help myself)
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm on day 3 of Induction. I watched "Fat Head" and was amazed! I have successfully lost 38lbs on a low calorie/low fat diet but my cravings for sweets have gotten worse the last few months. I can't seem just to eat a treat every now and again. I only have about 10 more lbs that I would like to lose and I'm not on Atkins for fast results. This lifestyle makes sense to me. Low carb, I mean. I did a lot of research, read a few books, including Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution and chose the Atkins diet. I'm sure I won't be on induction for long but I already feel so much better. I used to obssess about food almost constantly and now I am hardly hungry, have zero cravings and feel satisfied after a decent meal. Thanks for starting this thread!
  • snikrepa2003
    Options
    Hey guys! question time again. My husband and I do not have the book would it be useful to us or can we get all the info we need online through various websites....also I was wondering about the carb smart ice cream, any reviews? This thread has been such a lifesaver you all rock!
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    martina

" Hi! I've been on Induction for almost 6 months, but I'm still losing steadily (about 8 pounds a month). I've got about 50 pounds to lose, I'm not having any problems health-wise, or with cravings, and I'm not bored with the diet. The book says I can stay on it indefinately if I'm doing ok and havn't reached close to my goal weight. What do you think? Should I move on or stay here? I should mention, that I've been under and over 20 in the course of a week, but haven't gone drastically over--never over 25ish. Thanks! "

Hi Martina,
    I think it's safe to stay on induction as long as your losing. Why fix something that's broken. Just if you start slowing down and or get really bored with your food choices then you can start moving up the ladder. but only add in carbs at 5 grams a week and only one food added so you can rule out any negative results.
  • dittiepe
    Options
    Hey guys! question time again. My husband and I do not have the book would it be useful to us or can we get all the info we need online through various websites....also I was wondering about the carb smart ice cream, any reviews? This thread has been such a lifesaver you all rock!
    I use Atkins website. It's free and all the info is there :) if you register they will even send you a kit with free bars!
    Also on the carb smart- omg it's wonderful. Lol
  • ctroendle
    ctroendle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    MAybe my body does ned fat and waaay less carbs...so I tried it and I must say I probably will never go back to the processed carbs. I mean if I look at the way i felt the ast 4 years and how I feel now I don't even want to go back and have a piece of cake.

Yes! This (and a lot of the others posting here) sound a lot like me. I had limited success with other diets in past, but nothing like the success I've had with doing low carb recently - about a month for me. I used to be a huge sugar-person, but I look at sweets now and other refined sugars and I don't even want to eat them, or feel bad about not eating them. If those are the things that are 'making' me fat, why do I want to put them in my body? I sort of see them as cleverly disguised poison :)

I know you can enjoy them in moderation, but it's a helpful thought for sticking to the low carb diet.