Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    I am thinking about, to try Atkins again. I did it years ago and lost about 20 pounds, so I know it works. The only problem was, that I was constipated in the first 2 weeks, while I only ate protein and not even veggies. Are you guys having problems like this and what naturally do you do against it (no pills)? I did drink a lot but didn't help much.

If you are serious about giving it a whirl, I suggest you grab the book for it to make sure you're doing it 'right' and not just someone's adopted version....that way you can know all the ends and outs, suggestions for if you get stuck, etc. Instructions are very important, and of course we'd all be here to help as much as possible. It just scares me that you tried it without any veggies, which is the total opposite of what you should do...

Thanks, I will try it with veggies this time.
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I gotta say...I tried really really hard this weekend and I think I did ok for the amount of food that was in front of me. I did happen to have a couple of drinks which I know are a big NO NO on induction but I kept them to a minimum and also used diet mix. I had the tiniest piece of bread but stuck mostly with having one chicken wing and 2 ribs. Now 2 weeks ago I would have had a hay day with that party platter. I was so nervous about my weigh in the next morning thinking that I really screwed things up for myself but I hopped on the scale anyways. I was down another incredible 4.5lbs!!! Now THAT right there plus how good I feel is the motivation I needed to make me stay on track!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    OKay so I am sorry for being the needy one on this thread..but my husband and I had a bad week as far as losing any weight or inches. The question I pose for you ll is if anyone has ever gained any weight on this diet? My husband consistantly gained about a pound every other day, not like the usual fluctuation with water weight, what could this mean? I know he isn't cheating and he eats everything I eat, probably the same amounts too. You can check his diary and see what is up if you would like. His user name is jknowswhatsup. Thanks guys!
    Men really need to eat more than women, even while losing weight. 900, 1100 and 1200 calories are way, way too low. He must be starving! Plus, he should be eating back his exercise calories, at least at this early stage.

Bottom line: he should be eating more. 1800 is the bare minimum and he should probably eat quite a bit more than that while on Atkins. Whatever you are eating, have him eat portions that are at least 1.5 times yours to help him up his calorie intake.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    So here's my sad story....

I've never been technically overweight, but I hit 140 pounds (at just under 5'3") around my 45th birthday and decided I'd go back on Atkins to drop some weight and also start exercising, which I've been shunning for the past 10 years or so. I've always been a big believer in the Atkins lifestyle and always had success on Atkins in the past. My problem is that my husband hates when I "eat differently" from the rest of the family, and he won't even consider it for himself, so I don't get much support at home.

I started all of this in early March and dropped 6 pounds or so pretty quickly. Now it gets ugly. I had my gallbladder out just before the new year. That threw my digestive system into complete craziness and I've been suffering with chronic diarrhea since. My gastroenterologist isn't any help, so I'm self-medicating with generic Immodium per my GP's advice, since nothing else seems to work. I ended up going off Atkins in mid-April because with all of the fat I was eating, it just all got too much. I then ended up in the emergency room with 10 pounds of water weight gain and swelling, probably the result of a massive amount of stress. Since then, I haven't lost a pound. I've been bouncing around between 128 and 133. I know I'm gaining muscle, because I can see it, but I'm not really losing inches anymore, so it's been really frustrating all the way around. My digestive issues also haven't gotten any better, as I'd hoped they would by eating low fat. My liver apparently doesn't care if I keep my fat intake in single digits or not, it just doesn't want to handle things properly.

This weekend, I decided I've had it. I'm going to try a lower carb approach that might help balance all of my issues. I'm going to eat really low carb during the day and then just be careful when I'm home for dinner and attempt to keep my total carbs somewhere below 50 grams. All of this while still eating around 1250 calories. I tried it this weekend and managed to drop 2.5 pounds, so I'm hopeful it'll continue to work. Now if I could just get over this cold and cough so I can get back to running!
  • dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am struggling this week - totally fell off the wagon yesterday and this morning - I have some very tragic news and am having an extremely difficult time. Today at lunch I tried to get back on track, and am determined to move forward. But my heart is so heavy right now it's hard to breathe, my friend took her own life early yesterday morning, she never recovered from losing a child last spring.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. May your friend rest in peace.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I am struggling this week - totally fell off the wagon yesterday and this morning - I have some very tragic news and am having an extremely difficult time. Today at lunch I tried to get back on track, and am determined to move forward. But my heart is so heavy right now it's hard to breathe, my friend took her own life early yesterday morning, she never recovered from losing a child last spring.
    I am so sorry for your loss! I lost 3 people close to me this Spring, two family members and one good friend, all un-related, so I can completely understand what you're going through. I let it stress me out far more than it should have. In fact, it's partly what put me in the emergency room with a 10 pound water weight gain that the doctors at first thought was congestive heart failure.

I hope you can find peace and forgiveness (suicides are so hard to deal with on so many levels!) quickly.
  • kittrelle
    Options

So sorry to hear about your loss! At times like this our worries seem so trite: what to eat and/or not to eat...Wishing you strength, blessings and peace in the days ahead.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Hello Guys

I'm on a low carb diet. So far Im doing ok. My starting weight was 165.5 and now I'm 158.0.

Im following the Dukan diet which is very strict compared to the induction phase of Atkins. Low carbing is very new to me as I have always focused on calories and fat grams. Boy this is such an eye opener, all the time I wasted worrying about fat grams when its the carbs I should have focused on.

I have had a few rough days but I am so glad I figured the truth out.
  • cobylea
    Options

I'm so sorry about your loss. With time everything will heal.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for your loss dino.
  • dittiepe
    Options
    Hello Guys

I'm on a low carb diet. So far Im doing ok. My starting weight was 165.5 and now I'm 158.0.

Im following the Dukan diet which is very strict compared to the induction phase of Atkins. Low carbing is very new to me as I have always focused on calories and fat grams. Boy this is such an eye opener, all the time I wasted worrying about fat grams when its the carbs I should have focused on.

I have had a few rough days but I am so glad I figured the truth out.

Hi and welcome to the group! Dukan is kind of new to me, but I've read a little on it. It's funny how after all these years there are more and more low carb ways of life coming up. They all accomplish the same thing - teaching your body to burn fat for energy and teaching us how to eat healthy, without those nasty carbs.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Good morning LCarbers!

I am so glad you started this thread!

I am a success story for Atkins (Low Carb)

It saved my life and I no longer take 8 meds a day.

I am in the OWL phase and my carbs are less than 150gm a day and I'm still losing about 0.8lbs a week to 1 lb a week. I
    am down 84 lbs and feel awesome.

I have learned more about healthy foods and portion sizes and will never go back to overloaded plates of rice and gravy and mac and cheese. I now eat pretty much from all the food groups but watch my percentages and calories. When I was a lot heavier I didn't have to watch calories at all just carbs. Then I plateaued for a few years yo yo'ing back and forth with the same 10 lb loss and gain. Then I dug out the book AGAIn and realized I NEVER climbed the carb ladder. I just kept trying to keep my carbs lower than 30 and that wasn't going to work anymore. So please please remember to work your phases. Don't get stuck on induction too long. It can slow you down. Sometimes you have to eat more to lose more.

God Bless
    I can't wait to see your losses posted.

Low Carb pro here!
    Work those phases!!!
  • dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I'm in a much better place today. It's very difficult but I have alot going on (daughter leaving for college, me finishing my masters) so I'm trying to get it together. Didn't do well again last night, but better than before. One day at a time, right?

I need to grocery shop however, what is a good standard list that is budget friendly, anyone?
  • dittiepe
    Options
    I need to grocery shop however, what is a good standard list that is budget friendly, anyone?

The good thing about being low carb is that you can buy meats and veggies and not worry about all that expensive processed junk. Just get your meats, whichever you like, and some salad veggies, green beans, cauliflower, etc as well as your fats such as olive oil, butter, and eggs and you'll be good to go :)
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I'm in a much better place today. It's very difficult but I have alot going on (daughter leaving for college, me finishing my masters) so I'm trying to get it together. Didn't do well again last night, but better than before. One day at a time, right?

Definitely one day at a time!

I don't have a handy, standard list, but here are a few things that are an absolute must for me when eating low carb:

canned albacore tuna
    boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
    lean ground beef
    celery
    cucumbers
    radishes
    romaine lettuce or a salad mix with romaine
    frozen broccoli
    sliced medium cheddar and/or provolone
    blue cheese crumbles
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options

Definitely one day at a time!

I don't have a handy, standard list, but here are a few things that are an absolute must for me when eating low carb:

canned albacore tuna
    boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
    lean ground beef
    celery
    cucumbers
    radishes
    romaine lettuce or a salad mix with romaine
    frozen broccoli
    sliced medium cheddar and/or provolone
    blue cheese crumbles
    Great list. If you haven't tried avocados, they are a great source of vitamin C, fat and fiber and are very versatile to use.
  • cobylea
    Options
    I'm starting to get a little frustrated....I have lost some weight but for some reason my scale won't budge anymore. I've been on induction faithfully for about 10 days now and I'm getting a little worried that I'm doing something wrong. I don't have anything with sugar, breads or wheat. I've been sticking to eggs, cheeses, veggies and meat. I have the odd diet sode to curb any sweet cravings. Should I be doign something else or just get a grip on some patience?? I have already decided that my scale is going into hybernation for 2 solid weeks that way I'm conentrating on what the scale reads but try to read my body and how it feels. I already feel like i have more energy and the bloated feeling that I had absolutely every day is gone. Thanks in advance for the advice and insight.
  • bron_89
    bron_89 Posts: 33
    Options
    I just tried the MIM- it's awesome! It took me forever to find ground flaxseed here!
    Does anyone have any tips on getting more calcium and potassium on induction? Thanks :)
  • dittiepe
    Options
    I'm starting to get a little frustrated....I have lost some weight but for some reason my scale won't budge anymore. I've been on induction faithfully for about 10 days now and I'm getting a little worried that I'm doing something wrong. I don't have anything with sugar, breads or wheat. I've been sticking to eggs, cheeses, veggies and meat. I have the odd diet sode to curb any sweet cravings. Should I be doign something else or just get a grip on some patience?? I have already decided that my scale is going into hybernation for 2 solid weeks that way I'm conentrating on what the scale reads but try to read my body and how it feels. I already feel like i have more energy and the bloated feeling that I had absolutely every day is gone. Thanks in advance for the advice and insight.

My suggestion would be to give your body a little shock by eating increased(slightly) carbs for a day then jumping back onto induction. I've had to do that in the past.