Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get a little frustrated....I have lost some weight but for some reason my scale won't budge anymore. I've been on induction faithfully for about 10 days now and I'm getting a little worried that I'm doing something wrong. I don't have anything with sugar, breads or wheat. I've been sticking to eggs, cheeses, veggies and meat. I have the odd diet sode to curb any sweet cravings. Should I be doign something else or just get a grip on some patience?? I have already decided that my scale is going into hybernation for 2 solid weeks that way I'm conentrating on what the scale reads but try to read my body and how it feels. I already feel like i have more energy and the bloated feeling that I had absolutely every day is gone. Thanks in advance for the advice and insight.

Don't fret (easier said then done) But when I first did induction I dropped 9 lbs the first week then nothing for 3 weeks. I think our bodies do a "WOOOOAH" what's up!! then they start getting adjusted and you'll start losing again. I really need to emphasize to measure everything. Leg's arms, waist, calves, neck. Everything. You will lose inches then the scale catches up to reflect it. I dropped a size those 3 weeks but nothing on the scale. Then suddenly I am down 3 lbs then nothing again for a couple of weeks. If you don't have a measuring tape then get a long piece of string or rope and some colored markers. Assign a color to the parts your measuring. Mark where you are and each week do it again. You'll be amazed. I did this and was shocked. I know that I can tell you that the first few months it's imperative that you don't CHEAT. I mean it's like your reprogramming your body to run on a different fuel it's not accustomed to so don't mess with it right now. I do believe fully that you need your 20 net carbs from VEGGIES ..Also, limit your cheese to 4 oz a day ..that 's not very much. So measure and weigh your cheese. Hidden carbs are sneaky little suckers. Watch condiments. Watch that you don't use anything LIGHT or FAT FREE or REDUCED FAT because it all has added sugar to replace the fat. Also make sure you take a stool softener and a fiber supplement if your not going BM each day. That stuff piles up and it weighs too! LOL. So if you have any questions message me. I love to help. I know this WOE saved my life and after 7 yrs I can tell you it really is a great lifestyle.
  • bron_89
    bron_89 Posts: 33
    Options
    Is it bad if you eat less than 20 net carbs daily? Some days I get to about 13'ish and I feel like i cant eat anymore food... What I mean when I say 'Is it bad' - will my body get used to eating such few carbs that when I increase it to 20+, I will gain weight back? Is it very important that you eat atleast 20?
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    You'll be fine having less carbs, and no... you won't gain weight if you increase it to over 20 as long as you aren't going over your calorie allowance for the day. The whole point of keeping your carbs low is to keep you in ketosis.

You can gain weight having zero carbs, but binging on heavy whipping cream, and bacon if you're calories are too high.
  • bron_89
    Options
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Is it bad if you eat less than 20 net carbs daily? Some days I get to about 13'ish and I feel like i cant eat anymore food... What I mean when I say 'Is it bad' - will my body get used to eating such few carbs that when I increase it to 20+, I will gain weight back? Is it very important that you eat atleast 20?
    The only concern I'd have with less carbs is that you aren't getting in your vegetables, which is where most of them should be coming from. Try to focus on adding more veggies earlier in your day and you should have no trouble reaching 20 grams each day.
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    Options
    You'll be fine having less carbs, and no... you won't gain weight if you increase it to over 20 as long as you aren't going over your calorie allowance for the day. The whole point of keeping your carbs low is to keep you in ketosis.

You can gain weight having zero carbs, but binging on heavy whipping cream, and bacon if you're calories are too high.

One of the great things about being on Atkins/Low Carb diet is that you aren't counting calories. Has that changed?
  • bron_89
    Options
    I actually eat a lot of veggies! But since I have been counting the net carbs I'm finding it's gotten harder to reach 20.. for example today I ate a big bag of vegetables with 13g carb and 8.8g fiber... so such a big bag of veggies was only 4.2 net carbs? I also ate an omelet with spinach,mushrooms, spring onions and cheese and I was still only 12-13 grams for the day! On other days I'll eat broccoli and asparagus and still be under. I get full very easily on this diet :/ I guess I will just have to add some more in at breakfast! Thanks for the tip!

And I still count calories! Why can this change on Atkins? Apologies for my ignorance.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options

One of the great things about being on Atkins/Low Carb diet is that you aren't counting calories. Has that changed?

The same rule "calories in/calories out" still applies.

The thing about atkins and similar diets is that you don't get as hungry in ketosis. Also, you're body isn't storing fat in order to burn carbohydrates/sugar. You don't NEED to count calories, but if you take in more than your body burns each day, you can still gain weight.
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i started atkins about 3 months ago and stayed in induction for 4 weeks and lost about 15 pounds. i have been off of it for the past two months but still low carb. i plan on going back to the induction phase tomorrow. it is just hard that it is summer and so many events are going on. i still need to lose 35 pounds so i want to be focused and stay in my goal. i m currently fasting so that i can start fresh. i find that it helps me into ketosis quicker and i have less cravings. thanks for starting the thread!
  • Tinmari
    Tinmari Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi. I didn't get a chance to read every post, so if this was answered already I apologize.

I have considered Atkins several times as I've heard wonderful things about results. I've even seen my mom lose tons of weight on it. My biggest concern is that I just don't like vegetables. Is this diet possible if you don't like vegetables? I like basic things like lettuce (iceburg and romaine-not other greens), green beans, and peas, but that's about it. My tolerance for salads is pretty low in general, but might be different on Atkins since all the things I like in a salad (eggs, cheese, chicken, SALAD DRESSING) would be allowed. I also love fruit.

Any suggestions on making Atkins work for non-vegetable lover?
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    OKay so I am sorry for being the needy one on this thread..but my husband and I had a bad week as far as losing any weight or inches. The question I pose for you ll is if anyone has ever gained any weight on this diet? My husband consistantly gained about a pound every other day, not like the usual fluctuation with water weight, what could this mean? I know he isn't cheating and he eats everything I eat, probably the same amounts too. You can check his diary and see what is up if you would like. His user name is jknowswhatsup. Thanks guys!

Hey there, I'm new to this thread but not new to Atkins. I'm very excited about being here.

Now, there's a few things that could be going on. Are you both eating enough calories? You should be eating at least 1500 and he should be eating at least 1800.

Are you eating enough fat?? Your fat % should be between 60-70%. If not, that could have something to do with your "things moving" issue you mentioned before. I do recommend a magnesium supplement for your constipation issues. Natural Calm is great.

You may want to move up to the OWL stage. Do you have the Atkins book? Have you been on the Atkins community website? Excellent source of info there. Everyone is extremely helpful.

Keep in mind that this is a lifestyle, not a diet. I know that you want to lose a bunch of weight every week, but that's just not realistic. 1-2 lbs a week is healthy.

So I recommend you up your fat intake and maybe move into OWL.

Let us know how you do! Good luck!!
  • pork_belly
    Options

The same rule "calories in/calories out" still applies.

The thing about atkins and similar diets is that you don't get as hungry in ketosis. Also, you're body isn't storing fat in order to burn carbohydrates/sugar. You don't NEED to count calories, but if you take in more than your body burns each day, you can still gain weight.

The calories in / calories out has been disputed in many low-carb type diet books. I've read a couple of Gary Taube's books (Good Calories, Bad Calories;How We Get Fat and What To Do About It) and I believe he noted it there,too. I will see if I can find the pages and update this thread later.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Hi. I didn't get a chance to read every post, so if this was answered already I apologize.

I have considered Atkins several times as I've heard wonderful things about results. I've even seen my mom lose tons of weight on it. My biggest concern is that I just don't like vegetables. Is this diet possible if you don't like vegetables? I like basic things like lettuce (iceburg and romaine-not other greens), green beans, and peas, but that's about it. My tolerance for salads is pretty low in general, but might be different on Atkins since all the things I like in a salad (eggs, cheese, chicken, SALAD DRESSING) would be allowed. I also love fruit.

Any suggestions on making Atkins work for non-vegetable lover?
    As long as you eat a lot of the vegetables you actually like, you should be fine. I might make a suggestion, though. Make it a challenge to go to the grocery store every week or two and buy one vegetable item that's on the Atkins acceptable foods list which you either have never tried or haven't tried in a really long time. You might find something you like. Our tastes change over time, too, so the fact that you didn't like something 10 years ago might no longer be true today. In addition to just trying it, try it a few different ways. Raw, grilled, baked, steamed, etc. I, for example, can't stand raw broccoli, but I love it steamed (it's a texture thing). Most people will eat it if it has cheese on it, which is perfectly acceptable for Atkins!
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Well if you want to eat away all your brain cells on atkins. . . . ie no carbs for the brain to survive on .. . . that is up to you.
  • pork_belly
    Options
    Well if you want to eat away all your brain cells on atkins. . . . ie no carbs for the brain to survive on .. . . that is up to you.

The brain uses ketones for energy when you don't have any carbs available. It runs fine on it.
  • kittrelle
    Options
    Since it IS up to us- why don't you leave your negative comments ELSEWHERE. This is an Atkins support thread. Furthermore, with one pound lost, you could probably just keep your opinions to yourself and listen and learn a little more. Guess you're saying all the bodybuilders who cut carbs to lean out are walking around with no brain cells either?? Never mind- I won't waste mine responding to your comment. Kick rocks.
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Wow for being a religious woman you sure are negative. Maybe you should read the title of the group before you start throwing in your opinion. Everybody has their own CHOICE as to how they want to lose weight and be healthy. Next time you decide to post on ANY thread think about this first....IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Good morning LCarbers!

I am so glad you started this thread!

I am a success story for Atkins (Low Carb)

It saved my life and I no longer take 8 meds a day.

I am in the OWL phase and my carbs are less than 150gm a day and I'm still losing about 0.8lbs a week to 1 lb a week. I
    am down 84 lbs and feel awesome.

I have learned more about healthy foods and portion sizes and will never go back to overloaded plates of rice and gravy and mac and cheese. I now eat pretty much from all the food groups but watch my percentages and calories. When I was a lot heavier I didn't have to watch calories at all just carbs. Then I plateaued for a few years yo yo'ing back and forth with the same 10 lb loss and gain. Then I dug out the book AGAIn and realized I NEVER climbed the carb ladder. I just kept trying to keep my carbs lower than 30 and that wasn't going to work anymore. So please please remember to work your phases. Don't get stuck on induction too long. It can slow you down. Sometimes you have to eat more to lose more.

God Bless
    I can't wait to see your losses posted.

Low Carb pro here!
    Work those phases!!!

Hi! I've been on Induction for almost 6 months, but I'm still losing steadily (about 8 pounds a month). I've got about 50 pounds to lose, I'm not having any problems health-wise, or with cravings, and I'm not bored with the diet. The book says I can stay on it indefinately if I'm doing ok and havn't reached close to my goal weight. What do you think? Should I move on or stay here? I should mention, that I've been under and over 20 in the course of a week, but haven't gone drastically over--never over 25ish. Thanks!
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who lost over 100 lbs doing the Atkins diet. He has told me he ate like a pound of bacon a day doing this diet. I find it so hard to believe that you can do that but it works....he is proof.

I support what the Atkins diet is about when people do it right, but eating a pound of bacon a day? ... That's not at all what Dr. Atkins intended to encourage with his book.